Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

IRS convertion in LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS convertion in LS1 Camaro

I am looking to get some information on what is needed as well as costs involved in swapping in an IRS rear end in my 02 Camaro. I tried doing a search but i found little that helped. I know there have been threads on this before, but maybe im just not trying the right keywords. Can anyone shed some light on this with some pics, personal experience, or write-ups to get me in the right direction.

I dont have a budget or a time table for this project. Im just doing a little homework for now. I know that IRS is less power than solid rear, but my car isnt going to be a track queen. Im really just trying to get the Camaro to handle better and perhaps have a smoother ride quality.

Last edited by Black02LS1; 03-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it done on a thirdgen....so you could try thirdgen.org, the existing rear suspension (geometry, mounting points) is identical in 3rd and 4th gens...so what has worked in them will work in a 4th gen too.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it has been done on an LT1 car. If you really want improved handling, look into Strano's Watts Link. Even he has said the car tracks way different than before, in a good way too.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IRS would definatly net you better ride quality, but it would be a royal pain to get one to work on our cars. But i agree with WarShrike, look into getting a watts link for the car. Im gonna be getting one sometime when i get money again..
The following users liked this post:
Greg Wanger (11-07-2019)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i think one guy on here used the suspension out of a c4 corvette, which is funny cause there was a c4 corvette rear and suspension for sale on here a couple days ago
Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Well, it has been done on an LT1 car. If you really want improved handling, look into Strano's Watts Link. Even he has said the car tracks way different than before, in a good way too.
whas links are often used on solid axel cars here in the uk. makes the handling alot better!

Chris.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
I am looking to get some information on what is needed as well as costs involved in swapping in an IRS rear end in my 02 Camaro. I tried doing a search but i found little that helped. I know there have been threads on this before, but maybe im just not trying the right keywords. Can anyone shed some light on this with some pics, personal experience, or write-ups to get me in the right direction.

I dont have a budget or a time table for this project. Im just doing a little homework for now. I know that IRS is less power than solid rear, but my car isnt going to be a track queen. Im really just trying to get the Camaro to handle better and perhaps have a smoother ride quality.
Funny isn't it!.. I am looking at what I need to convert my vehicles factory irs to a 9'' live setup!
How about we swap cars... you pay the freight!

In all seriousness it would be as difficult as my endeavour and probably as costly, But definately makes for a good handling vehicle.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The OP is still running on 100% stock F-body suspension. In his other post we recommended that he try a few things like basic suspension upgrades first before thinking about an IRS setup. IMO, if the car isn't going to be a track queen then the OP shouldn't do an IRS conversion, as that is a seriously hardcore track queen modification. Also, a link was posted to pictures of the F-body that had an IRS conversion done using parts from a C4.

http://www.zeuscatalog.com/jay_cutshaw_s_irs_swap

If anyone was curious.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BLASPHEMY! I'll hear none of this. just get a Strano Watts link system and save yourself a lot of trouble and cash. If you still can't be talked out of it, just ask someone with a stock '03/'04 Cobra. They can't seem to get rid of them fast enough.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

I have done just about everything possible to my suspention and chassis except struts. Yes it does handle a lot better now, but its still not where i want it to be. I know my next upgrade is going to be tires, I have some fairly cheap tires on there now and ive heard only good things about splurging on good tires.

But ive never heard of that Watt's link? Anyone have anymore info on it?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...atts-link.html

Here ya go, enjoy.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally like my solid rear, makes it very fun to drive.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen brotha!

+1 for throttle steer.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Well i like the solid rear, mainly because it costs too much to swap, but I am really just looking to get this thing to handle well. From what im hearing, the few things that i havent done, like good tires and struts, are the ones that make the biggest difference.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

You could try some stickers in asian writing to make it faster . It should handle better as well, hell, you can launch over big bridges and curbs and still not wreck your suspension... seriously,
What are you trying to do with the car. My Z handles so much better than my DD. I feel like the car is going to tip over when I trun corners compared to my Z.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

I would run an IRS in my car over any solid axle setup. IRS, especially a decently strong one from a C4 would be ideal over our solid axle setups. Granted a Watts link will help a solid axle setup work better, but it wont ever be able to work as well as a well setup IRS.

That link to the IRS swap project is pretty cool and if I werent so up in the air about possibly getting a 5th gen I would probably be looking into swapping an IRS under my car.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Yea. Well i really want my car to handle but it still needs to be able to go over speed bumps. This thing isnt going to be just some track queen. Its still gota be daily driven sometimes.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
Yea. Well i really want my car to handle but it still needs to be able to go over speed bumps. This thing isnt going to be just some track queen. Its still gota be daily driven sometimes.
"Slamming" the car hurts the handling if anything, you need suspension travel to handle (the suspension needs to do its job).
Its definitely time to call up Sam Strano, as I figured with the parts you listed in your other thread you have things that are doing more harm than good.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Launching!

What is doing more harm than good? Also how much is it going to cost to have someone else do my suspention? I'm used to doing everything myself.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sell the car and it get something with irs.

Quick Reply: IRS convertion in LS1 Camaro