Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about Koni's and springs

Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about Koni's and springs

Well I just purchased a set of Koni's from Strano's website. I actually just bought the rears and plan on getting the fronts with the next check, this is the only way I think I could force myself not to spend the money on something else. I bought the off-car adjustable kind due to price as well as the fact that I do not picture myself ever adjusting them. Here are my questions:

-What setting should I set the rears at before I install them?
-How inpractical would the highest performance setting be?

I am currently on stock shocks with 100k miles so I imagine even the stiffest setting would be a better ride than I currently have.

-I do not think I would want to mess with the front shock installation but how tough would the rear installation be?

I have access to all the tools I would need it is just a matter of finding the time with med school and work. But, what do you all reccomend in terms of springs? I currently just have the stock springs on the car with 100k miles on them. I do not want to lower the car any at all (low hanging SLP headers and true duals) but if my springs are shot I would definately like to replace them with something to complement the Koni's. Would I be fine keeping the ones I have, should I get OEM replacements, or should I get something aftermarket like Stranos?

-
Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Well I just purchased a set of Koni's from Strano's website. I actually just bought the rears and plan on getting the fronts with the next check, this is the only way I think I could force myself not to spend the money on something else. I bought the off-car adjustable kind due to price as well as the fact that I do not picture myself ever adjusting them. Here are my questions:

-What setting should I set the rears at before I install them?
-How inpractical would the highest performance setting be?

I am currently on stock shocks with 100k miles so I imagine even the stiffest setting would be a better ride than I currently have.

-I do not think I would want to mess with the front shock installation but how tough would the rear installation be?

I have access to all the tools I would need it is just a matter of finding the time with med school and work. But, what do you all reccomend in terms of springs? I currently just have the stock springs on the car with 100k miles on them. I do not want to lower the car any at all (low hanging SLP headers and true duals) but if my springs are shot I would definately like to replace them with something to complement the Koni's. Would I be fine keeping the ones I have, should I get OEM replacements, or should I get something aftermarket like Stranos?

-
The rear installation is actually pretty easy, compared to the front. Your best bet is to call Sam once you have the shocks in hand, much more easier to do and understand. Sam will help you with anything you throw at him, and he will give you his advice on where to adjust the shocks to compliment your driving habits. Second, you said you didnt want to lower the car, but your leaning towards Stranos? Stranos are lowering springs.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam Strano highly encourages those who've purchased from him PM or even give him a call. I mention this from experience because when someone buys from him, he goes to great lengths to support his items.

Here are some installation instructions for the shocks, there are some on www.ls1howto.com. Just remember that the instructions for the rears on the website don't have to be done that way (there's another method that's much neater and quicker).

AFA springs go, well... yeah, I'd say stick with stock if you don't want to lower (or maybe not lower too much) or Strano's.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Springs may sag, but they don't "wear out," so to speak, so given your situation, just stick with the stockers. Most people start with the rear shocks on full soft, and most are happy with that setting. If you're not, you can begin bumping them up from there.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

my shocks are at full soft and they are great.

Call sam, you pay for his advice, not just the shocks. That is what is great about Strano
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also set mine to full soft.Yes it is a good idea to call Strano.He is a great guy.He recommended I set them to full soft.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

I had my rear konis set at almost full soft and the fronts were setup at about 4 sweeps from full soft (9 approx total sweeps from soft to firm) i had to soften the front some and stiffened the rear to approx 30-40% (1 turn from full soft ) keep in mind i have the 4/4's but with mine set almost full soft it felt like i was in a rodeo until i stiffened the rear. The back end bounced alot. front was really stiff also. But now it rides like a champ. I recommend also that you call sam he will help you get squared away.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Can i reuse the stock springs I have on my car with 100k miles or should I be OEM replacement springs?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

If there is nothing wrong with them (not sagged) then they are fine. Keep them. And regarding the rear shock settings. Without fronts, you don't want to run anything more than full soft in the rear because you don't have upgraded damping in front to match.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

he mentioned he would be getting the fronts also thats what i gave him a heads up. Also he will most likely have to pull them out and redo the settings when he does get the fronts thats what i was trying to get out. I do recommend the stock springs and koni's i just did a install and review of what i ran into when doing it. There is a good writeup on ls1howto.com for the install and sam will answer any questions you have im sure. i would also suggest doing the front and back in one shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Koni's and springs