Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard Bar Questions..

I want to get a panhard bar for my car, because my buddies SS has one and it felt amazing after he installed it! My question is, what would be the big advantage of having it adjustable? Ive read its easier to put on, and it centers the rear end after lowering it, and "is a must" if you have big rear wheel sizes. If thats true what does that exactly mean? I have lowered my car, and it has 20x10.5 wheels in the rear.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why adding an aftermarket panhard bar would make a car feel "amazing"? It keeps the rearend from moving side to side. When you lower the car, due to the geometry of the rear suspension, it wants to push the body over to one side over the axle, which makes one tire ride closer to the fender lip. An adjustable bar centers the body back over the axle like it should be. You basically answered your own question.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if your rear is centered. I couldn't find a writeup for you, but if you call one of the sponsors I am sure they can walk you through it. It is very easy to do. My car was off by 13/16" from the factory, btw.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DrumrReagh13
I want to get a panhard bar for my car, because my buddies SS has one and it felt amazing after he installed it! My question is, what would be the big advantage of having it adjustable? Ive read its easier to put on, and it centers the rear end after lowering it, and "is a must" if you have big rear wheel sizes. If thats true what does that exactly mean? I have lowered my car, and it has 20x10.5 wheels in the rear.
Thanks!
Here is a link to our install instructions http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/F-BODY_PHR.pdf

As far as adjustability with the panhard bar, its always nice to have. Like HavAtampa said if you lower the car you will have the ability to center the rear end up with an adjustable PHB. Also it will get rid of the rubber bushings and the deflection of them which causes the rear end to feel like its playing catch up with the car when turning. That's probably why your friends car felt better to drive because the rear was a lot more responsive with the aftermarket piece in there.

Here is a link to our page with the PHB, its about half way down http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with if its lowered or you have wider wheels you most likely will need an adjustable one. As far as handling the PH bar will make little to no change. There are way more important parts that you would need to change to get an "amazing" feel out of our stock suspension.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Jay. I was actually going to go with BMR anyways. But how can I tell if my rear end is centered or not?
*Nevermind, read the install sheet*
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrumrReagh13
Thanks for the info Jay. I was actually going to go with BMR anyways. But how can I tell if my rear end is centered or not?
*Nevermind, read the install sheet*
Best way is to tape a string to the fenderwell with a weight at the bottom. Take the measurement from the string to the tire or rim. Make sure that you measure to the same location on both sides. If you have any questions please give Jay or myself a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks so much!