Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spacer for torque arm crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spacer for torque arm crossmember

I want to try installing a 1/2" thick spacer between my torque arm crossmember and the mount. The y-pipe needs a little more room to fit between the front driveshaft safety loop, the crossmember, and the floor pan. Any idea where I could find some 1/2" thick x 2" x 4" hard neoprene or something suitable? BTW, the crossmember in the picture has been replaced with the straight one. This crossmember dragged backing out of the garage, driveway... The spacer will go here:
Attached Thumbnails Spacer for torque arm crossmember-needs-spacer.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umi

Maybe try a UMI crossmember because the more you space down, the less clearance for the top of your driveshaft and chance of your drive shaft hitting the safty loop when hitting bumps. Unless you space down a 1/2 like you said but cut a1/2 off the safty (stem) too and reweld to keep the same clearance around your driveshaft
Heres my UMI and its BEEFY AS **** !!and is made for Hooker y pipes which i run and I have atleast 1/2 clearance between mine and crossmember when installed! heres a pic!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...20end%20angle/

PS,LOL Theres also a company called (Dr Gas) that sales what they call (frame clearance pipes) that are made to flow as much as your pipe size, but are oval in the center and will not restrict your gases. I bought some for my APS TT piping i redid on my camaro and there bad ***. there flat on the one side too unlike crushed pipes are.check em out this actually might be the ticket for you

Last edited by barnat; 03-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Comparing the UMI and the Spohn crossmember maybe the UMI doesn't hang quite as far. It's hard to tell. I think you're right about the frame clearance tube - that looks like it will do the trick.

Your SS is spotless underneath! It reminds me of the red WS6 one of the UMI guys had on jackstands at the Carlisle GM nationals last year.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Cross member

Hello
Thanks for your interest in UMI Performance! We do have a few cross members to choose from. What type of Y pipe and transmission are you using? If you have the chance leave me know and I will be glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You might run into trouble doing that... if you lower the crossmember 1/2" it is going to lower the drive shaft loop as well. If you lower the loop most likely the drive shaft will now hit it. Also if you lower it you put the loop closer to the y-pipe and it will most likely rub it. I think a 1/2" is too much... this will also change your pinion angle and instant center.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 03-10-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_LS1
Comparing the UMI and the Spohn crossmember maybe the UMI doesn't hang quite as far. It's hard to tell. I think you're right about the frame clearance tube - that looks like it will do the trick.

Your SS is spotless underneath! It reminds me of the red WS6 one of the UMI guys had on jackstands at the Carlisle GM nationals last year.
Thanks man! I LOVE HER as you can tell !!LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks for your interest in UMI Performance! We do have a few cross members to choose from. What type of Y pipe and transmission are you using? If you have the chance leave me know and I will be glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Brad,

I'm running American Racing long tubes with a catted y-pipe into a Corsa catback. It's a 4L60E automatic trans. The torque arm is tunnel mounted, and I'd prefer not to go back to transmission mounted. I started with a crossmember for long tubes (with the bend in it) but I had too many ground clearance problems. The car is lowered 1.2" on Strano springs. I switched to a straight crossmember and everything almost fits, but the back of the collector is pinched between the crossmember, the safety loop, and the floor pan. Glad to hear any ideas you have. Here are a couple of pics with the original crossmember. I'll have to take some with the straight crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails Spacer for torque arm crossmember-needs-spacer.jpg   Spacer for torque arm crossmember-crossmember-side.jpg  

Last edited by Mike_LS1; 03-10-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Spacer for torque arm crossmember