Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lower control arms

Just wondering ... what do these help do as a part of the suspension set up? I am currently upgrading my whole suspension set up and wondering if this was a needed component right at the start or should it be done towards the end?

Also who makes the best LCAs for the money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

it really depends on your application, corner carving or straight line?
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

oh sorry it will be twisty mainly ... i dont do a lot of track time at all
Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

okay. well im lowered, and the main reason i got the adjustable ones is because i put LCA brackets on at the same time. and sometimes the lca brackets will throw off your rear end. i went with the poly/rod end because the poly end help eliminate road noise in the car, and the rod end allows movement in the rear. my phb is rod/rod btw

mine are UMI
Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The control arms aren't a necessary item but are a nice upgrade. They are designed to improve traction, eliminate wheel hop and to keep the rear planted better to the ground. We have control arm sets starting at a very inexpensive price. For a car that see's the twisties I recommend the rod/poly set-up like previously mentioned. They are seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2016

One thing I recommend on a handling car is a panhard bar and I will install this before the control arms. It will keep the rear stable under the vehicle and also help you make any adjustments if you lower the car. Here is the item I recommend for your application- www.umiperformance.com/2022

Please let me know if you need help with your suspension rebuild and I will be glad to assist you

Ryan
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
it really depends on your application, corner carving or straight line?
this statement isnt tru anymore.

6 months ago. you would be right.
poly for straight
rod for curves

but with the new style that 6Litereater sells. you have a controll arm that will do ever thing. and is best bang for the buck

Texass, look at the link in my sig.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

The control arms aren't a necessary item but are a nice upgrade. They are designed to improve traction, eliminate wheel hop and to keep the rear planted better to the ground. We have control arm sets starting at a very inexpensive price. For a car that see's the twisties I recommend the rod/poly set-up like previously mentioned. They are seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2016

One thing I recommend on a handling car is a panhard bar and I will install this before the control arms. It will keep the rear stable under the vehicle and also help you make any adjustments if you lower the car. Here is the item I recommend for your application- www.umiperformance.com/2022

Please let me know if you need help with your suspension rebuild and I will be glad to assist you

Ryan
+1 love my UMI Can't go wrong
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

im going to be running an over the axle y 3". what phb do you recommend? btw my car will be lowered in the next few months (strano setup).

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Ryan
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
im going to be running an over the axle y 3". what phb do you recommend? btw my car will be lowered in the next few months (strano setup).
Hello,

All our panhard bars will clear just fine with your exhaust. I would defiantly recommend an adjustable set-up since you are lowering the car.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
Wow I just got straight hijacked for sure

So is this a necessary first or can it be done a little later on?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still think the best bang for the buck is the stock LCA's with moog bushings. It helps resolve wheel hop on launches but still doesn't bind in the corners. The Johnny Joint from 6LE is a great way to go as well if you have the money though. If you are lowered you should really get an adjustable PHB though to recenter the rear. The on car adjustable PHB with poly ends from UMI is a great peice (the one I have on my car).
Old 03-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned

tpunk- you should give the 6le a try. you will love them.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6

IMO, If your budget permits get the DKT's, in the long run you'll save money because they're the last LCAs you'll ever buy, plus if you get them with the J.Js. they're fully rebuildable, have great articulation, and are as quiet as stock!

If the DKT's are outside your budget another great choice is J&M LCAs w/3pc.poly ball bushings!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
It's on my long list

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, If your budget permits get the DKT's, in the long run you'll save money because they're the last LCAs you'll ever buy, plus if you get them with the J.Js. they're fully rebuildable, have great articulation, and are as quiet as stock!

If the DKT's are outside your budget another great choice is J&M LCAs w/3pc.poly ball bushings!
I've experienced the J&M's (not on my car) and to me they are great. Again, it's a cheap effective option and is much cheaper to replace bushings for than rod ends.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Texass683
Wow I just got straight hijacked for sure

So is this a necessary first or can it be done a little later on?
The panhard bar can be installed at a later date.. with out it you may experience some tire rubbing depending on what size tires you are running. If this is the case then we recommend to install one as soon as you can.

Hope that helps!
Ryan

Quick Reply: lower control arms