Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new 2002 trans am- ruff ride!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2002 trans am- ruff ride!

My 02 trans am , has zero rated tires, I bought this car with the tires and thats what I was told- At high speeds 70 plus the car seems to shake a bit and overall rides a bit ruff, could it be alignment and tire issue - or any other thoughts, i prefer a bit more smoother ride and I think a fast car like this shouldn't shake at high speeds? Thanks
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not a lot of information here.
No car should vibrate or shake at those speeds so something is wrong. Are the wheels/tires balanced? Could your rotors be warped? What psi are you running in the tires?
The overall "stiff" ride (i'm assuming jarring and choppy?) is most likely due to stock shocks assuming nothing is broken or worn out. Replacing the stock shocks with quality ones (not cheap over the counter replacements) can yield you smooth and firm BMW-like ride and handling.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car shakes like a dog shittin razor blades at 70mph, can't figure it out. Replaces DS, brakes, been through 3 sets of wheels and tires, etc still haven't found it. All I can say is good luck. And yes, you stiff ride is due to the crappy stock shocks.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Teching In

It can be a number of things..front alignment, wheel balance (was each wheel balanced right?), bushings are worn, worn ball joints, maybe bad or loose engine-transmission mounts..

shocks that are usually worn out would cause your car to say up and down easily after hitting a bump or a dip on the road
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Teching In

It could even be something in the drivetrain..not to scare you but you should have it looked at before anything gets worse.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drivetrain has already gone to crap, my clutch is toasted and my 10 bolt is screaming for mercy, when those two go my vibrations will probably stop.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Hot damn like a bitch that shut's up.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steelbird
My 02 trans am , has zero rated tires, I bought this car with the tires and thats what I was told- At high speeds 70 plus the car seems to shake a bit and overall rides a bit ruff, could it be alignment and tire issue - or any other thoughts, i prefer a bit more smoother ride and I think a fast car like this shouldn't shake at high speeds? Thanks
I think you meant Z-rated tires (speed rating). That's not a problem unless the wheels/tires haven't been balanced properly. Has your car been lowered? Lowering springs are the first thing I look at for rough rides. How about an aftermarket torque arm? Those often contribute to vibration when not adjusted properly.

You need to provide more information about your car for us to really help.

Quick Reply: new 2002 trans am- ruff ride!