Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing Upper PHB

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Removing Upper PHB

If you have an Adj. PHB is the Upper PHB still needed? Mine is really close to my exhaust.

Also, I've read that it isn't a good idea to run a PHB relocation on a lowered car.

Thanks for your answers and pardon my newb question

I tried searching but once again the new search feature has failed me
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it. Its there for a reason.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

would like to know this also..

BTW I have found that if you search for just one keyword your results will be alot better, otherwise it seems to find all the words seperately and you get bad results.. just a FYI
Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnet
would like to know this also..

BTW I have found that if you search for just one keyword your results will be alot better, otherwise it seems to find all the words seperately and you get bad results.. just a FYI
Thanks, I still think they messed a good thing up.....
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know also. Me and King had a discussion about this earlier. Seems like its just there to me
Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 AM
11 Second Club

Yea...I know it has a purpose but It just looks like it's riding along like a bench player not doing much lmfao
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The panhard bar relocation kit will work on a lowered car but will sit closer to the PHB. You shouldn't have any issues. Here is a link to our set-up... if you have any additional questions please ask.

www.umiperformance.com/2024

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

This just came up really recently in another thread, and many before but the search is basically non-existent at the moment or else I'd hook ya up with a few links. Anyway, the Upper panhard bar is there to take pressure off of the thin sheet metal bracket the panhard bar bolts to. Without it the bracket will bend and flex, causing the bracket to warp and possibly even get torn off in time. Think of it this way too. GM had to create tooling for that part and use up the materials to put one of those on every f-body made. If the car ddn't need it don't you think they would have left it off? I mean no offense to anybody because I love GM, but this IS GM we're talking about. They're famous for cutting costs where they can.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if you just reinforce the bracket? Should be able to eliminate the upper PHB then...
Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

We always remove the upper PHB. never had any problems, granted 50% of the time we're mini-tubbing these cars and the PHB bracket gets cut and reinforced. The other 50% we just remove the upper PHB and keep up truckin.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mad_steve
We always remove the upper PHB. never had any problems, granted 50% of the time we're mini-tubbing these cars and the PHB bracket gets cut and reinforced. The other 50% we just remove the upper PHB and keep up truckin.
Are these street cars or drag only?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
This just came up really recently in another thread, and many before but the search is basically non-existent at the moment or else I'd hook ya up with a few links. Anyway, the Upper panhard bar is there to take pressure off of the thin sheet metal bracket the panhard bar bolts to. Without it the bracket will bend and flex, causing the bracket to warp and possibly even get torn off in time. Think of it this way too. GM had to create tooling for that part and use up the materials to put one of those on every f-body made. If the car ddn't need it don't you think they would have left it off? I mean no offense to anybody because I love GM, but this IS GM we're talking about. They're famous for cutting costs where they can.
I know what your saying, but GM has proven to do things on these cars that is extremely unnecessary.. take the coolant line running through the TB for instance. They spent their time make and developing this, but everyone agrees its just plain unnecessary...TB bypass Free mod. This is the same thing, just because it is there, doesn't mean it needs to be. You should ask some of the hardcore weight reduction guys about this concept lol.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Interesting views...I guess I will leave it on for the time being. I'll look more into UMI's relocation kit since I already have their Adj. LCAs and PHB and relocation brackets....

I too wish the search feature was up to par as I like researching issues such as this....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know what your saying, but GM has proven to do things on these cars that is extremely unnecessary.. take the coolant line running through the TB for instance. They spent their time make and developing this, but everyone agrees its just plain unnecessary...TB bypass Free mod. This is the same thing, just because it is there, doesn't mean it needs to be. You should ask some of the hardcore weight reduction guys about this concept lol.
TB coolant "can" come in handy up north, not so much down here though. This is not one of the cases you are talking about though. That upper bar is absolutely needed for cars that do more than go in a straight line. The force being placed on that part is rather high. I'm sure you could come up with something else to brace it, but why would you bother? It would take some weight out, but how much by the time you finish reinforcing it? If you really want to get rid of it you could always put a watts linkage back there but that adds weight. So basically I'm saying leave it alone.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The PHB brace is necessary for strength. Do not take it off. I'm not a fan of the PHB relocation kits though I do sell UMI's for those that need it. And here's why I don't love those thing. Using them puts the PHB on an angle and PHB's work best level. The more away from level you go, the more jacking and arc effects you get. Yes, you gain room for exhaust, but frankly I think fitting duals is less important than having the suspension work right.

The UMI part is very nice quality, it's just geared toward a different crowd.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Man-Crush Warning

The upper brace is not necessary, I've had mine off for three years with no problems.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tpunk
TB coolant "can" come in handy up north, not so much down here though. This is not one of the cases you are talking about though. That upper bar is absolutely needed for cars that do more than go in a straight line. The force being placed on that part is rather high. I'm sure you could come up with something else to brace it, but why would you bother? It would take some weight out, but how much by the time you finish reinforcing it? If you really want to get rid of it you could always put a watts linkage back there but that adds weight. So basically I'm saying leave it alone.
I'm not saying it is or isn't needed, only that you can't say just because GM put it there that the car obviously needs it. I also was told that unless your car is in the arctic the TB would never reach a temperature cold enough to freeze shut needing the coolant to warm it up.. but again I don't know these things for certain only internet hearsay.. take the information and make a decision for yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

While GM isn't the smartest company with money, they aren't stupid and would not go through the trouble, time and cost of designing useless parts. Move over, the setup was designed around 1980 when tires were a whole lot less sticky than they are now, so I submit it's even more important than ever.

Further, don't you find it odd that while you want a stiffer PHB some think it's ok to take away a support that the PHB and the associated loads dump into?

I do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The PHB brace is necessary for strength. Do not take it off. I'm not a fan of the PHB relocation kits though I do sell UMI's for those that need it. And here's why I don't love those thing. Using them puts the PHB on an angle and PHB's work best level. The more away from level you go, the more jacking and arc effects you get. Yes, you gain room for exhaust, but frankly I think fitting duals is less important than having the suspension work right.

The UMI part is very nice quality, it's just geared toward a different crowd.
Absolutely. The PHB brace distributes cornering loads evenly over the rear part of the unibody structure rather than let the PHB deliver all of it to just one side.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not saying it is or isn't needed, only that you can't say just because GM put it there that the car obviously needs it. I also was told that unless your car is in the arctic the TB would never reach a temperature cold enough to freeze shut needing the coolant to warm it up.. but again I don't know these things for certain only internet hearsay.. take the information and make a decision for yourself.
Oh, I wasn't bashing you or anything. I was just commenting. But yeah, the PHB brace is a much more important part of the car than a lot of people seem to think. Also look at the people who have taken it off. They tend to be straight line guys and in all honesty that is not the advice you should be listening to for a car used mainly for street use. Their advice is valid for 1/4 mile but you need to be careful what you listen to on the internet when it comes to a car for street use.

Quick Reply: Removing Upper PHB