Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torn strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn strut mounts

After checking out a suspension noise I found out that not one, but BOTH of my front struts (KONIs) have been ripped out of their strut mounts. Has anyone else had any problems similar to this? One of the mounts was replaced last year when I switched back to stock springs. The other one came on the car originally. I am looking at buying some KYB strut mounts to replace them with, but they run $70 a pop. Worth it?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read (A thread on here) that Napa sells OEM style for $55.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When you installed the Konis did you use the supplied big washers between the top of the shocks and the shock mounts?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

I've had the same issue with my KYBs I've torn 3 sets of mounts. My mounts were Car Quest brand and I'm considering going to GM or KYB to see if they're any better. I installed a large washer between the strut and the mount that did NOT come with the KYBs. This has not seemed to help and I'm at a loss for how to correct this issue.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like I'm joining a club. I had this happen to me today, was driving down the interstate and hit one of our horrible bridge transitions her in TN and heard a loud bang, then more clunking over the next few bumps. I pulled over expecting to see broken sway bar links or a bushing popped out, but that was all in order. Then I looked up and see the the rod from my Koni shock pulled down inside the spring with the entire center section of the strut mount still wrapped around it. I replaced the stockers with the NAPA units last year when changing to Koni's. Didn't have much choice as the factory struts were so rusted that I had to cut one of the mounts off.

I was going to post a new thread, but did a search first. Glad I did and looks like GM stockers are the way to go. I'll be tearing it down later this week praying that that the Koni's are ok.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedinc sells the KYB mounts:

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000853
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome, strut mounts are on backorder from GM. Dealer is doing a stock search to try and find me some. I guess if I have to I can replace them under warranty with NAPA, but I don't really feel like doing this again a year from now.

Quick Reply: torn strut mounts