Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PHB question/help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PHB question/help needed

I just installed the UMI "on car" adjustable PHB. Is it normal to hear clunking noise from the rod end over small divets in the road? Also, to lock the adjuster in place, I sandwiched it between the lock nuts... is that correct? or is that why its clunking? sorry for the newb question. One other thing.. Is it normal for the rod end to seem a bit flimsy - meaning when i grab the PHB and give it a good shake, it seems to have some play esp. nearer the rod end of course. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You need to put some blue loctite on the threads and then run the nut down to the bar (not to the rod end). What since the bar is threaded the nut butted up against it locks the rod end in place. There should not be any real play in the bar.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

clunking is normal if you have rod ends. mine does it too.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up PHB Problem!

Originally Posted by lferdzl
I just installed the UMI "on car" adjustable PHB. Is it normal to hear clunking noise from the rod end over small divets in the road? Also, to lock the adjuster in place, I sandwiched it between the lock nuts... is that correct? or is that why its clunking? sorry for the newb question. One other thing.. Is it normal for the rod end to seem a bit flimsy - meaning when i grab the PHB and give it a good shake, it seems to have some play esp. nearer the rod end of course. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Hello
Yes you will have a little road noise with a rod end but it will hold up a lot longer than a poly end. And about the play that is in the rod end of the PHB! When we ship out our adjustable bars they are preset to factory specs. Did you by chance adjust it at all? Leave me know and I will be able to better assist you.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

i have great rod ends and no noise.

look at the link in my sig
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problems with both my UMI PHB and my LCA the bolts that they send with them are a little bit two small for the rod end in diameter. I had to go to the hardwear store and buy slightly bigger ones and if fixed the problem. If you unbolt it and just run the bolt in it by itself you will be able to move it side to side a lil bit and you will see what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: PHB question/help needed