Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What shocks do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What shocks do you suggest?

My 02 bird is in need of new shocks, I drive under normal conditions and have no plans on racing love the car and power but its really my daily driver.
I would like to spend like 300 the most, on shocks, I have seen sets of 4 KYB gr-2 for like 260 also gabriels? I would like a bit more comfort but firm ride its a little hard now . Any ideas or reviews of shocks just mentioned. Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The best set-up for excellent quality, optimum ride comfort, and improved handling on stock springs are the Strano-spec Bilsteins @stranoparts.com. But you're going to have to pay half as much again as you're planning to.

A good compromise would be to order Bilstein fronts and Tokico rears from the WS6 store. You'll compromise on quality, but you'll be close to your price goal.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The best set-up for excellent quality, optimum ride comfort, and improved handling on stock springs are the Strano-spec Bilsteins @stranoparts.com. But you're going to have to pay half as much again as you're planning to.
I agree with this 100%. Bilsteins are the best option for stock springs, specifically the ones strano is selling. The next step down would be Tokico. Spend a little more than you are wanting and you will gain quite a bit over the shocks you are looking at.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A good compromise would be to order Bilstein fronts and Tokico rears from the WS6 store. You'll compromise on quality, but you'll be close to your price goal.
I was unaware that the Tokico's have a better valving than the standard (non strano) bilstein HD's. Where did you get this info or try it? Kinda curious.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by tpunk
I was unaware that the Tokico's have a better valving than the standard (non strano) bilstein HD's. Where did you get this info or try it? Kinda curious.
When Bilsteins were unavailable, Sam was recommending them a lot for people who where looking for that kind of shock. IIRC, his take was that ride quality and performance would be close, but that quality was not comparable.

We put the Bilstein/Tokico f/r combo on my son's V6 Firebird and it rides really nicely.