Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Torque Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Torque Arm?

Ok well since the search feature is haywire, i need some help.

Im gonna get a torque arm, but im not sure which to get..I'll rarley see the track..So do i go with a tranny mount or a Body mount..And what are the benifits and disadvantages of either or?...

Also since the car is dropped would i need to get a Adjustable or Non-Adjustable..

Thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nalmak
Ok well since the search feature is haywire, i need some help.

Im gonna get a torque arm, but im not sure which to get..I'll rarley see the track..So do i go with a tranny mount or a Body mount..And what are the benifits and disadvantages of either or?...

Also since the car is dropped would i need to get a Adjustable or Non-Adjustable..

Thanks
I would suggest our full length adjustable with a torque arm relocation bracket. Taking the torque off of the tranny not only saves the tailshaft from breakage but our bracket has adjustment holes in the front so you can raise or lower the front of the torque arm. The benefit to this feature is it allows you to adjust how hard the suspensioneffects the tires. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails What Torque Arm?-ta001-small.jpg   What Torque Arm?-tcc006-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
I would suggest our full length adjustable with a torque arm relocation bracket. Taking the torque off of the tranny not only saves the tailshaft from breakage but our bracket has adjustment holes in the front so you can raise or lower the front of the torque arm. The benefit to this feature is it allows you to adjust how hard the suspensioneffects the tires. If you have any questions please give me a call.
So does pinion angle affect the suspension and tiers..And in what way?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
+1..I'm running the same set up but with the UMI Performance product. Good stuff!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I also recommend a full length (stock length) torque arm for your application. I recommend this because the vehicle rarely see's the track... I see a body mounted torque arm being overkill for your application. Also since you are running true duals the body mounted torque arm would not clear with your exhaust set up... but the transmission mounted set-up would. We built our transmission mounted torque arm around a true dual system and in most cases our set-up offers additional clearance over the factory torque arm.

Please visit this link, the installation pictures show this arm installed with a 3" true dual set-up- www.umiperformance.com/2205

I recommend the adjustable since the vehicle is lowered and the adjustment will allow you to correct the pinion angle.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on UMI thats all I run, full rear set up from them and no problems cut a 1.8 60 ft on a bolt on A4. Also customer service is outstanding, grade A quality, and the price is right, just compare them to BMR you will see. Go with what Ryan suggested it will work out
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mook99ta
Also customer service is outstanding, grade A quality, and the price is right, just compare them to BMR you will see.
I haven't seen any UMI pieces in person to compare, but I can assure you that BMR quality is top notch. Since I haven't had to use their customer service I can't comment on that, but I think that speaks volumes about their quality.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

BMR or UMI, go adjustable, you will thank yourself down the road for the petty price difference between them.

i prefer BMR, but UMI sells equally good products.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by impaled
BMR or UMI, go adjustable, you will thank yourself down the road for the petty price difference between them.

i prefer BMR, but UMI sells equally good products.
Ok..So is this a Performance Upgrade, or a Durability Upgrade?...Or Kinda in between..I hear alot of people having problems with a Adjustable TA..But since the car is lowered its a must to have correct pinion angle..
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WS6addiction
I haven't seen any UMI pieces in person to compare, but I can assure you that BMR quality is top notch. Since I haven't had to use their customer service I can't comment on that, but I think that speaks volumes about their quality.
Hello,

Every customer is going to have a difference is opinion on brand... people will be bias to a product because they purchase it and it worked for them. Mook99 had a good experience with us and you had a good experience with BMR... thats always good to hear that is what keeps competition alive. However just because Mook99 mentioned our customer service was top notch doesn't mean there was a problem...

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Ok..So is this a Performance Upgrade, or a Durability Upgrade?...Or Kinda in between..I hear alot of people having problems with a Adjustable TA..But since the car is lowered its a must to have correct pinion angle..

A torque arm would be both a performance upgrade and a durability upgrade. What sort of problems did you hear about adjustable torque arms? Setting them up? Since the vehicle is lowered yes we usually recommend a adjustable torque arm.

Let me know and I am glad to help. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Every customer is going to have a difference is opinion on brand... people will be bias to a product because they purchase it and it worked for them. Mook99 had a good experience with us and you had a good experience with BMR... thats always good to hear that is what keeps competition alive. However just because Mook99 mentioned our customer service was top notch doesn't mean there was a problem...

Thanks for the kind words guys!

A torque arm would be both a performance upgrade and a durability upgrade. What sort of problems did you hear about adjustable torque arms? Setting them up? Since the vehicle is lowered yes we usually recommend a adjustable torque arm.

Let me know and I am glad to help. Thank you!
Ryan
Wel i heard that, adjusting the torque arm is PITA!...Also, that horrible vibrations come from adjustable TA, Because your changing the pinion angle, in along with the way the driveshaft is angled..the whole geometry basically gets changed.And could cause more stress on the Rear End because the geometry is changed..

I already am dealing with Terrible vibrations but that is more along with my Rear end needing a rebuild and my Tranny..Those 2 will be done in the coming weeks, but since the car is lowered and the geometry is different, would that cause more or different vibrations to the car?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

You are getting vibrations because you do not have the adjustable TA yet so your pinion angle is slightly off. The advice these guys have given you is golden, you need the adjustable arm to get the right pinion angle. If that is set right, you shouldnt have any vibrations unless there is something else unrelated to the TA. You do not need to get the relocating bracket, mounting to the tailshaft is fine unless you are dumping the clutch with slicks at the drag strip. It sounds like the UMI TA will work best for you because of your exhaust set up and application. Take it to a professional if you need help setting up the correct pinion angle.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Wel i heard that, adjusting the torque arm is PITA!...Also, that horrible vibrations come from adjustable TA, Because your changing the pinion angle, in along with the way the driveshaft is angled..the whole geometry basically gets changed.And could cause more stress on the Rear End because the geometry is changed..

I already am dealing with Terrible vibrations but that is more along with my Rear end needing a rebuild and my Tranny..Those 2 will be done in the coming weeks, but since the car is lowered and the geometry is different, would that cause more or different vibrations to the car?
The adjustable torque arms aren't too bad to set-up and once you get it set you shouldn't have to adjust it again unless you change the vehicle height. We ship our torque arm pre-set to factory length and you then make your adjustments from there with it on the vehicle. Its not bad at all and we will be glad to walk you through it. If you change the drive line angle too much then yes.. you can get vibrations. But as long as you go with the stock length torque arm you will be just fine and will not notice any negative effects. I would be afraid a non-adj. would not work well for you since it is lowered.

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Get adjustable, my car never sees the track but you NEED the right pinion angle. Get help if you are not comfortable doing it.

If you are stock-ish power, a tranny mounted unit is ok. The relocation kit is better. The relo kit plus the TA will prevent any durability issues with launching and will noticeably tighten the rear of the car.

I prefer UMI but I know first hand that BMR quality is also top notch. You really cannot go wrong. You like Mercedes or BMW?

Why not put Konis on the front of your car? Bilsteins are NOT suitable for lowering springs, you are really doing yourself a disservice...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Hello, take a look at this video. It shows the install and the correct way to set up your pinion angle. Thank you to our customers for all of the kind words. Here is the link. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The adjustable torque arms aren't too bad to set-up and once you get it set you shouldn't have to adjust it again unless you change the vehicle height. We ship our torque arm pre-set to factory length and you then make your adjustments from there with it on the vehicle. Its not bad at all and we will be glad to walk you through it. If you change the drive line angle too much then yes.. you can get vibrations. But as long as you go with the stock length torque arm you will be just fine and will not notice any negative effects. I would be afraid a non-adj. would not work well for you since it is lowered.

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance. Thanks!
Ryan
I know Bilsteins are not good with lowered rides..I have Front Koni's im just waiting on The Strano Springs, no sense in doing things 2wice..

Thats whyy i wanted to purchase the TA..So i can do all the things at once..

Ok..Sounds good..So the Tranny mounted TA..Is good..But in the coming weeks im going to do a H/C/I Swap..Am i still ok, or do i need the Relocation..And if i do, will it interfere with my exhaust setup?..
Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Also i have a steel driveshaft, but i might go to a Aluminum one.Is there a difference between setting the pinion angle on either or?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Also i have a steel driveshaft, but i might go to a Aluminum one.Is there a difference between setting the pinion angle on either or?

No its the same for both.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

I know Bilsteins are not good with lowered rides..I have Front Koni's im just waiting on The Strano Springs, no sense in doing things 2wice..

Thats whyy i wanted to purchase the TA..So i can do all the things at once..

Ok..Sounds good..So the Tranny mounted TA..Is good..But in the coming weeks im going to do a H/C/I Swap..Am i still ok, or do i need the Relocation..And if i do, will it interfere with my exhaust setup?..
Hello,

As long as you do not change transmissions the torque arm will not interfere and a torque arm relocation kit will not be needed. The torque arm relocation kits are nice but you shouldn't need it. The drive shaft being steel or aluminum won't matter either.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never had a problem with UMI but whenever I had a question about a product they always answer the question and are very knowledgeable.