Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX's good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX's good or bad?

I was lowering my car this weekend and i ran into nothing but problems. The moisture spot on my front tower passenger was filled with mud and rust and couldnt get the top shock nut out because the shaft and nut were completely corroded away... lucky it didnt shear apart.... I was going to use my stock shocks over till I found out they were gone. Yea should have been more prepared.

Anyways I went to jegs and got my front shocks that are kyb's agx adjustable series shocks. I got them for under 200 since that was all the money I could spare and I needed something better than stock to put my car back together.

So if anyone is running the KYB AGX's on their lowered car or even stock, how much do you like them? I have the LS1 eibach prokit. Will these shocks be alright for a lowered stance or will their life be quickly consumed?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

So far so good on mine. Im just running Hotchkis springs though. Good for the money IMO.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

agreed. I've been running them with LT1 prokit for over 4k miles with no problems.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheLSgun
agreed. I've been running them with LT1 prokit for over 4k miles with no problems.
Same set up here with no issues. For the money they are a good shock.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

great input guys, this will definately make me sleep better at night knowing they're good. I got my front end lowered and just moved the car around while I wait to get the back done but everything felt smooth so far. Havent tested them at high speeds though lol.

I set my fronts to 4, what do most of you guys like the settings around?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

all the way on the front, 5 or 6 on the back is what mines set at.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

200% better than stock - i'm sure thers better suspension setups but for the kind of driving i do (mostly street no track) it does the job
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

running strong here good 60ft as well 1.60
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

i just put mine on seem to be good. only problem i had was the lower mounting tab was angled so the adjuster was facing the motor and I had to man handle it around to face the front. dunno if the adjuster is supposed to face the wheel or not though?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't mind hearing from some people who have had these on for a while. From what I have read thy are great out if the box, but tend to wear out or fail quickly. Not sure if lowering springs has something to do with that.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Lowering springs make things harder for any shock... You are asking the shocks to damp more spring rate in a smaller amount of working travel.

The thing to note here is that those responders have AGX's, but have not gotten to compare them to anything else. "Good" is relative, and frankly compared to thrashed stock shocks, a lot of things would be better. You should get other opinons from those that have had both AGX's and other non-stock dampers. bobbyd comes to mind because I know he recently went from AGX to Koni rears and can relate his experience.

I sell AGX's. I'd be lying if I told anyone I thought they were great. Good? Maybe, depends on what you are expecting. They are not good enough for me personally.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the AGXs and Eibachs on my car for a while, it was firm and handled good but the ride was pretty rough, I then switched the springs to the stranos and it made a huge difference...just not good enough. I just bought konis for the front and will buy the rears soon, I recently took a ride in a car with the same setup and it was much better, so thats what im aiming for.

Quick Reply: KYB AGX's good or bad?