Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pointers on Painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pointers on Painting Calipers

I'm getting ready to pain my calipers and put my rear D/S rottors on to match the fronts. What's the best way to got about painting them. I.E.-do I need to sand them, or what type of paint should I use??? Thanks, Zac
Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't necessarily need to sand them down, however i recommend using a lot of brake cleaner and a good cloth to clean them up. The casting should be rough enough to not need sanding. I recommend Duplicolor caliper paint, the spray on with a clear works best if you can take the calipers off the car however if you do not want to go that far the brush on kit works great too but you have to give it 3-4 coats. I have used this many times and it works great!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim, I plan on taking the calipers off since I've got new D/S rotors to put on the rear to match the fronts... Sounds like all's I need is the paint!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd personally recommend powdercoating, but that's just me. My painted calipers held up fairly well for ~4 years, but had to be touched up once during that time, and towards the end they were looking pretty sad.

As already stated, the prep work is key - they HAVE to be clean, and that takes a while.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes brake cleaner is your friend, and let them sit for a day to let the paint settle and dry so you dont smear it or pull paint off.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used the duplicolor brush on kit and the G2 brush on kit. I like the G2 brush on kit better. It has a nicer glossier finish then the duplicolor paint. It also does not chip as easily as the duplicolor kit.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paint them with real car paint, base and clear, and never have a problem. you need to use a high heat primer though. ive had mine done like this for 3 years now and they still shine like the exterior paint on my car. i also found that if you cant take them off, "dabbing" it on with foam brush works well, this is how i did my brackets. if you put it on thick enough, the paint wil level off and leave no marks, just real smooth.

Quick Reply: Pointers on Painting Calipers