Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What can I do with $500-$700 for improving handling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do with $500-$700 for improving handling?

(2001 Firebird Formula)

This is a babied summer car that will never see a race track, so performance in the sense of drag track performance is not important to me. What I want is to improve handling around curves in daily driving - meaning reduce the flex and boaty feel. I would ideally like to see it lowered a little too - but that's more for looks.

(Compared to my friend's Z06's handling and taking corners at 60mph, I feel like I am driving an SUV. Of course I won't complain - I could have that in my Formula if I wanted to drop $7-$8k on suspension parts, but I don't care that much and don't have that much dough)

I bought 17" American Racing wheels with summer performance Kumho tires last year and that's the only "mod" my car has.

So... I realize I can't do too much with my current budget but that's what I would like to spend right now. I will do the work myself, so I'm talking only about parts. Should I start with a spring kit and new shocks or should I focus on something else to achieve what I want right now?

Can you advise me as to what I can do to get some noticeable improvement in this area at least to start with?

Thank you very much!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

sway bars, subframe connectors, or brakes

I don't think it'd cost $7000-8000 to keep up with a Z in curves, I'd say it can be done for less than $3000

I love formulas btw
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you save a bit more up you can get a set of Koni 4/3 shocks and that is the single best mod one can do for handling for these cars. You can also lower the car 1/2" with the stock springs all around with Koni's. The Koni's give you a lower perch up front and you can do the hose mod in the rear to get the 1/2" drop back there as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tpunk
If you save a bit more up you can get a set of Koni 4/3 shocks and that is the single best mod one can do for handling for these cars. You can also lower the car 1/2" with the stock springs all around with Koni's. The Koni's give you a lower perch up front and you can do the hose mod in the rear to get the 1/2" drop back there as well.
and yes corner carving is fun
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

really, 500 to 700 is a bit of a tight limit, however if is slightly variable, then the first option should be...

high quality shocks, and not just some replacements that are "just better."
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

So far it seems I should buy Koni 4/3s as a birthday present to myself this year?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flymybird
So far it seems I should buy Koni 4/3s as a birthday present to myself this year?
That would be my suggestion, but again...it depends on what you really want. My suggestion would be to call Sam Strano or see if you can PM him to arrange a time to call. He's a vendor who's been very familiar with them, but can also discuss other options (depending on realistic wants).

But in short, the shocks will be your biggest improvement that you will sense from your seat and hands.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Koni SAs; 4/3s Lower perch up front and the hose mod for the rear.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

X10000
Other suspension mods have minuscule results in comparison.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said above the shocks are the single biggest improvement you can make.
And Koni's are worh every penny.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

i was VERY impressed with how my BMR sway bars improved the handling of the car.

you might be able to get some good bilstein shocks and some sway bars for around your budget.

ANY decent shock is better than the crappy stock units.

but yeah...Koni's would be a GREAT upgrade.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies!
So... if I were to buy the Koni SA's, does StranoParts.com have the best price on these? You can PM me if you're afraid of Sam's wrath
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you order from Sam you'll get invaluable tech assistance from him in regards to installation and setup of the shocks. So take that into account when looking for the best price even though I think his current Koni sale price is the best.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tpunk
second, DEFINITELY DO THIS FIRST

after that

Springs (with a adj. PHB) or Sway Bars

Thanks for all the replies!
So... if I were to buy the Koni SA's, does StranoParts.com have the best price on these? You can PM me if you're afraid of Sam's wrath
He might not be the very cheapest, but he is not the most expensive, his price is very reasonable. You pay for all the advice he gives you and tech support, trust me it is worth it. I have bought from him and would (will) do it again. He is having a sale on Koni right now anyway I think.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
EW1
Launching!

I am planning to go with strano springs and shocks. Add the SFC then the car will handle a whole lot better.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EW1
I am planning to go with strano springs and shocks. Add the SFC then the car will handle a whole lot better.

Don't forget the front strut bar....nice addition!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

strut tower bar is a nice addition. but its proably not anything you'll ever notice.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

(2001 Firebird Formula)

This is a babied summer car that will never see a race track, so performance in the sense of drag track performance is not important to me. What I want is to improve handling around curves in daily driving - meaning reduce the flex and boaty feel. I would ideally like to see it lowered a little too - but that's more for looks.

(Compared to my friend's Z06's handling and taking corners at 60mph, I feel like I am driving an SUV. Of course I won't complain - I could have that in my Formula if I wanted to drop $7-$8k on suspension parts, but I don't care that much and don't have that much dough)

I bought 17" American Racing wheels with summer performance Kumho tires last year and that's the only "mod" my car has.

So... I realize I can't do too much with my current budget but that's what I would like to spend right now. I will do the work myself, so I'm talking only about parts. Should I start with a spring kit and new shocks or should I focus on something else to achieve what I want right now?

Can you advise me as to what I can do to get some noticeable improvement in this area at least to start with?

Thank you very much!
Shocks, shocks, shocks, shocks. The better the shocks, the better the improvement. Everything you hate at it's core stems back to a lack of damping control.

Everything else can be added, the shocks are the key.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

/thread

enough said...thanks sam
Old 04-01-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

What would be better, Bilstein shocks and new springs (Strano perhaps), or Koni 4/3s and stock springs?