Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Uneven wear on caliper after brake job! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven wear on caliper after brake job! Help!

okay i own a 2000 camaro z28 ls1. after replacing the rotors and pads on the front (both driver and passenger). i discovered the right caliper was seized. i found out it was seized when i test drove it down the road and it began to smoke and overheat (the drivers side was great). i replaced the right caliper, mounting bracket, pads, and rotor and now the drivers side is squeaking very bad. it rained while i had ordered the caliper so my car sat and obviously the rotors rusted (a lil bit of surface rust). after two days of driving the car it started squeaking really bad on the drivers side and when i inspected the caliper the bottom part of the rotor is still rusted a lil bit but the top half was good and clean. it has gotten really bad now, as far as squeaking. should i be concerned with this? is there any way to fix this? please help me cuz i am really tired of its high pitched sound.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by antsls1
okay i own a 2000 camaro z28 ls1. after replacing the rotors and pads on the front (both driver and passenger). i discovered the right caliper was seized. i found out it was seized when i test drove it down the road and it began to smoke and overheat (the drivers side was great). i replaced the right caliper, mounting bracket, pads, and rotor and now the drivers side is squeaking very bad. it rained while i had ordered the caliper so my car sat and obviously the rotors rusted (a lil bit of surface rust). after two days of driving the car it started squeaking really bad on the drivers side and when i inspected the caliper the bottom part of the rotor is still rusted a lil bit but the top half was good and clean. it has gotten really bad now, as far as squeaking. should i be concerned with this? is there any way to fix this? please help me cuz i am really tired of its high pitched sound.
What kind of pads did you buy? Cheap Metallic pads from autozone or something decent? Cheap pads can make a lot of noise. Also did you get any grease or anything on the pads by accident during install?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

could also be the pad abutment shim touching the rotor. sometimes the new ones are a little bit bigger or dont fit exactly like the old did, and will take a few miles to wear them down and seat properly.

Quick Reply: Uneven wear on caliper after brake job! Help!