Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just Installed Subframe Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed Subframe Connectors

I got UMI black bolt-in 2 point ones from Strano. They were great looking coming out of the box. Too bad they get bolted underneath my car. Putting them in was really simple. I didn't keep track of how long it took me though. Maybe an hour, hour and a half. Just follow the instructions and it goes smoothly.

They tuck up against the body really well. I was a little surprised actually. They are like a 1/4 in lower than the body seam, maybe less. I'm going to recheck the bolts in a couple days after driving it some more. I might get them welded up in the future.

I know most people say you feel a difference, you feel a difference. Well they're right. Pulling out of my driveway and through the gutter the car defiantly didn't rock and bend as much as it usually does. Driving down the street I rocked the steering wheel back and forth and sure enough, the car wasn't flexing like it use too. Turn in felt sharper and I can feel how crappy the stock shocks are.

This is my first suspension type mod. I'm looking forward to getting more stuff on my car. If you haven't done this already or have the parts and are holding off, don't. It's really simple and you will feel it.

Big thanks to Strano. Customer service was excellent like everyone says. I called up a couple weeks after ordering to see if they had shipped. All that got out of my mouth was my first name and what I ordered and he instantly told me they're on their way. Remembering who a customer is a big thumbs up as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again UMI for a great product and Strano for the customer service. I will be a repeat customer.

Ryan

Last edited by LS1Formula88; 03-07-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to here you like them, the FedEx man just brought mine yesterday tried to install them today but couldnt get one of the control arm bolts out will try again later.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

I love my UMI stuff. They rock
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Get them welded....
Old 03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transambroli
Glad to here you like them, the FedEx man just brought mine yesterday tried to install them today but couldnt get one of the control arm bolts out will try again later.
I had the same problem. My problem ended up being that the rear was not centered front/rear perfectly, so the tire on the passenger side had to be on the ground to get out, where the tire on the driver side had to be in the air. Try jacking it to different points and see where it comes out the easiest.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI's quality is second to none. I have a host of suspension stuff from them, everything except a K-member and haven't had a problem with any of their products.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

i just got umi's boxed sfc's and tunnel mounted torque arm in today, in red. i am installing the t/a tomorrow and the sfc next week. and then a road trip. i cant wait.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I installed bolt-in, boxed SFC's 5 or 6 years ago into my '02 Z28, and I'm very glad that I did. I immediately felt the difference they made, and to this day, the car is definitely still pretty "tight", considering the use and abuse I've put my car through .

What I felt in the car right away was that going over bumps and other un-even surfaces, etc., that the suspension gets put to work a little more, and the chassis doesn't "take the bump" instead. IMO, this isn't like doing a "free ram-air mod" and claiming ~5 HP on the butt dyno ... this is something REAL that truly makes a difference and is actually noticable.

I've never had the SFC's welded, but I've checked the bolts since, and they're still as tight as the day I installed them (which was f'n bloody tight! ).

They also provide a GREAT jacking point from each side of the car .

IMO, they're one of the few mods that would benefit EVERY F-Body out there ... whether you're into racing, or simply daily driving. For the small amount of weight they add to the car, they add so much structural support, I think it helps keep the car more solid for a much longer life.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

its really nice to hear such good feedback about UMI and SFC in general.
i have my UMI boxed weld ins on the way, i cant wait to have them welded in! stop the rash like dimples in thee rear quarter panels!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have fun running the corners with your new stiffer body!

Next on your list should be a Strut Tower Brace. Locking the front end up with the STB leads to much better steering response.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
They also provide a GREAT jacking point from each side of the car .

I wouldn't want to scratch them. They are just so beautiful
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Hello

Glad everyone likes the products and thanks for the business.
Take care
Brad
Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by waldershrek
I love my UMI stuff. They rock
+1 Never had one fitment issue with any of their products. BIG UP's for UMI
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I've had them on for almost a month now. So I went back and double checked the bolts. Everything is cool. I have noticed less squeaks and rattles coming from the car since putting them on. Once again thanks UMI for a great product.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks Everyone its good to hear the great comments and we are very fortunate to have such great customers! Glad you all like the products.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formula88
I got UMI black bolt-in 2 point ones from Strano. They were great looking coming out of the box. Too bad they get bolted underneath my car. Putting them in was really simple. I didn't keep track of how long it took me though. Maybe an hour, hour and a half. Just follow the instructions and it goes smoothly.

They tuck up against the body really well. I was a little surprised actually. They are like a 1/4 in lower than the body seam, maybe less. I'm going to recheck the bolts in a couple days after driving it some more. I might get them welded up in the future.

I know most people say you feel a difference, you feel a difference. Well they're right. Pulling out of my driveway and through the gutter the car defiantly didn't rock and bend as much as it usually does. Driving down the street I rocked the steering wheel back and forth and sure enough, the car wasn't flexing like it use too. Turn in felt sharper and I can feel how crappy the stock shocks are.

This is my first suspension type mod. I'm looking forward to getting more stuff on my car. If you haven't done this already or have the parts and are holding off, don't. It's really simple and you will feel it.

Big thanks to Strano. Customer service was excellent like everyone says. I called up a couple weeks after ordering to see if they had shipped. All that got out of my mouth was my first name and what I ordered and he instantly told me they're on their way. Remembering who a customer is a big thumbs up as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again UMI for a great product and Strano for the customer service. I will be a repeat customer.

Ryan

I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time around... Ooops.

Ryan, I appreicate the nice words. I talk to a lot of folks, and sometimes it can be overwhelming so I can't promise I'll always be able to remember every detail, but I do my best to remember people and their products. What every vendor wants is to have happy, and hopefully repeat, customers. I very happy to hear you felt I did a good job and deserve you as a repeat customer. Thank you.

As for the UMI parts. They are right up the road from me, not about 45 miles down I-80. I've always been 100% satisfied with the products Ryan and UMI have given me, as well as their willingness to work with me. On the very few occassions any sort of issue popped up it was always dealt with in a professional manner. The fact they are close, willing to work with me, and they make parts my customers also like is why I use their stuff when we need that sort of thing.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Just Installed Subframe Connectors