Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting into Auto-X (With the help of Sam Strano)

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into Auto-X (With the help of Sam Strano)

As if Sam didnt have enough positive words about the way he runs his business, here are some more kind words. Customer Service has been a 10, He calls every time you place an order to talk it over with you and make sure you are getting what you want part wise, and performance wise. I started recieving parts at the door within 3 days of ordering and everything looks great! He knows what I want out of the car more than I do and has saved me grief by substituting parts for ones that are cheaper but still perform better and give more ground clearance for example.. So thank you again Sam, youve been the most excellent at doing business with.

With his help we have put together a package to keep me legal in the E Street Prepared class. I cant wait to get all this stuff on the car and get after it!

Most of the following is what sam supplied but I did have to get a few things from various other companies

Konis 4/4
Strano Springs
Strano front Hollow Bar
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar adjustable
Watts Linkage ( rear adjustable sway bar to get the most out of the watts )
ATE rotors
Hawk Pads
SS Brake Lines
UMI SFC
1LE LCA bushings
Eaton Posi
Ratech Rear end rebuild kit
Axles ( Replacing for the hell of it they are making noises )
UMI torque arm adjustable tailshaft mounted
ARP wheel studs
Upper Control Arm camber offset bushing

Im also doing a stage 2 rebuild on the tranny, its got the infamous 2-3 grind. While im in there im doing the textralia x-grip, and new GM slave clyinder and tick master cylinder.

So now that im broke, all I have to do is save and do what little I can to the motor!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a nice setup.

I've been thinking of moving to a Eaton with 3.42s, but I also would like the GTO tranny in place (MN12) the tighter ratios look promising.

I just ordered a UMI double adjustable panhard bar.

I think I'm finally going to get a chance to autox her soon.

We'll see how I do....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know how the eaton goes, my T2R is 7 years old and probably needs looked at.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
but I also would like the GTO tranny in place (MN12) the tighter ratios look promising.
I never understood this so correct me if im wrong. Cant you just buy aftermarket gears and get the same ratios as the GTO (or whatever you desire). Why do so many buy a whole new transmission just to swap gears and have different ratios??? I never really understood that. (Im NOT talkin about the final gear ratio by the way, but the individual gears themselves).
Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I don't want to think about...but I am sure Sam will be glad to hear...how much money I will throw at my car in the next few months. But with all the time he has spent talking to me on the phone I feel I owe him something.

I ordered a set of SECOND gen front shocks and bushings for my brother in laws car. There was an obscure problem with one bushing on one of the upper control arms. I called and asked Sam about it one night. It was late but he still answered the phone. He had me call Energy suspensions because he didn't have the dimensions on the bushings. A week or so later out of the blue he calls me wanting to know what I found out and if he needed to call ES and get in someones ***.

That my friends is customer service.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

SimRacer1, I felt the same way, but never heard of anyone actually doing it, So i gave up on that idea.

Figured slapping the MN12 was alot easier I guess. Just want to point out the MN12 has the same ratios as the 01 Z06.

My whole motivation was to drop enough weight to make vehicle accelerate more like a vette.

Now I understand aero and suspension come into play but as far as weight to power and gearing goes, I would be in the ball park.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

SimRacer1, I felt the same way, but never heard of anyone actually doing it, So i gave up on that idea.

Figured slapping the MN12 was alot easier I guess. Just want to point out the MN12 has the same ratios as the 01 Z06.

My whole motivation was to drop enough weight to make vehicle accelerate more like a vette.

Now I understand aero and suspension come into play but as far as weight to power and gearing goes, I would be in the ball park.
If you're gonna go autoxing, trust me you don't need the extra acceleration

I also have a heads and cammed Camaro that I autoxed for a while. It sure as hell was fun to drive and gets a lot of thumbs up. Though it's really hard to compete with
Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

AutoX always seemed kinda boring to me, but no real road courses near me. So I will be trying it out soon.

I see where you going with the extra acceleration is not necessarily a good thing, but the setup I have now with 3.73s makes the car snap and respond well. And so we'll see how I do.

Honestly on the street I've never been able to make the car oversteer, so thats good to a certain extent. Understeer is almost under control, I'm hoping the new pan hard bar helps a little more.

Its just for fun for now.

The 3.42s and MN12 would serve better on a road course where I could really push 4th and remain stable.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

AutoX always seemed kinda boring to me, but no real road courses near me. So I will be trying it out soon.

I see where you going with the extra acceleration is not necessarily a good thing, but the setup I have now with 3.73s makes the car snap and respond well. And so we'll see how I do.

Honestly on the street I've never been able to make the car oversteer, so thats good to a certain extent. Understeer is almost under control, I'm hoping the new pan hard bar helps a little more.

Its just for fun for now.

The 3.42s and MN12 would serve better on a road course where I could really push 4th and remain stable.
Yeah I only mentioned that because you said you wanted to autox. Most people don't set this car for autox, or if they do autox they don't care that much if it's not competitive. I think you won't have any problems making it oversteer in autox. It's probably too hard to tell since you really can't push it hard enough on the street like you can on the course.

I don't think the PHB should have much of any effect on understeer or oversteer. Alignment, swaybars, springs, shocks have more of an effect on that.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Im doing it mostly for fun, but I still built the car around ESP class because it fits my current budget. There were a few small things I would have liked to be able to do but could not.. but I would like to be able to compete for a year or two while I save up to do the rest of the car like I want..

Im sure all the guys in my class will be on slicks, but ill be out there with my trustworthy Kuhmos

Watch out Sam im gunning for your spot!!! (yea right...)

Im only waiting for my offset camber bushings, SS brake lines and axles then I will be able to start on the car. I plan on attending my first event within a month and a half.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, and I dont intend to go out there with a I'm going to dominate mindset.

I know the Camaro is big and bulky, but in the end I really believe it comes down to the driver.

On another note, I just got back from the weight station and I'm currently at a nice

3250lbs

Pretty good since I can easily get another 60lbs off before I go out there.

!Door Bars! -14lbs
!Rear Bumper Support! -15lbs
!Lightweight Battery! -10lbs
!Front Passenger Seat! -20lbs

total= -59lbs

I would be at a cool 3190lbs and still with A/C and radio!!! HA
Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper
Let us know how the eaton goes, my T2R is 7 years old and probably needs looked at.
Note I got from a customer who changed from a fried T2R (his second) to an Eaton... early, but encouraging:

"Sam,

I installed the Eaton Posi last Saturday March 28th and did autocross the next day. First impression was I did not spin the unloaded rear tire coming out of sharp turn like I was always doing, even tried too by slamming the gas peddle down. The course had a sweeper turn or decreasing radius and could get on the gas without the car getting loose or rear-end coming around. Couldn't tell on slaloms but I think I have gotten to gentle on them will have to be more aggressive with turning sooner and getting on the gas ??? Off sets were problems too but this course had none."

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by XxWICKEDSSxX
Im doing it mostly for fun, but I still built the car around ESP class because it fits my current budget. There were a few small things I would have liked to be able to do but could not.. but I would like to be able to compete for a year or two while I save up to do the rest of the car like I want..

Im sure all the guys in my class will be on slicks, but ill be out there with my trustworthy Kuhmos

Watch out Sam im gunning for your spot!!! (yea right...)

Im only waiting for my offset camber bushings, SS brake lines and axles then I will be able to start on the car. I plan on attending my first event within a month and a half.

You'll only really be a set of R-comp tires away from a top-flight car Zach.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome parts list. Sam one question. will the watts link kick him outa Fstock? if so what class does it put him in?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Most things on that list are not legal for f-stock... I don't think he ever said he was going for FS... we're doing the car for ESP, the same class my Camaro is built for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting into Auto-X (With the help of Sam Strano)