Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting Springs and Hose Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Springs and Hose Mod.

Ok I was thinking tomorrow I didn't have to go to school or work so I was going to cut my springs and do the hose mod. Problem is I can't find out how to do the hose mod. And there really isn't a good write-up for cutting the springs. So my question is how do you do the "Hose Mod", I have only heard of it on here. And also when cutting the springs do you cut the tops off of the springs, because the bottom can't be cut off, at least on the back (it has to fit on top of a little gasket), not sure about the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

The hose mod is just heater or fuel hose slipped onto or split and zipped ties to the spring. Taking out the isolators will lower it some also. I wouldn't cut the coil springs though. I'd hold off for a set of lowering springs.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Well somebody else had a thread about cutting the springs and everybody that had done it was pleased. Also everybody that had not done it were saying to buy lowering springs.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Launching!

How is everybody's feelings about cutting the springs. How's the handling compare, how much did you cut?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Anybody have a write-up with pics?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cutting the springs is easy, just be sure you cut the end that is not curled in. You will see what I mean when they are out. I only cut about 1.5" of circumpherence, and it lowered the car about .75" or so. Happy with the result since it didnt harshen up at all, and I had a little ground clearance to spare. IMO fine mod as long as you don't cut more than that off.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are a couple pics in my "guess my springs" thread in this section. it is 1 coil off all 4
Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are doing it to save money, then cutting is fine - you are only gonna cut off a small amount anyway. Dont expect a huge difference unless you are cutting all 4.

The way I see it, its a LOT of work to pull front springs for a 1/2" drop. Most folks probably wont even notice until you point it out. I've cut all 4 on a larger car and it was ok. The more you cut, the more rebound you'll get...the more you will need better shocks to control it all.

I used to try to do things the cheapest way possible. I usually wound up regretting that I didn't just save up and do it right.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you cut the springs though? Hacksaw? Dremel?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
How do you cut the springs though? Hacksaw? Dremel?
lol @ dremel...

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel but you could use a sawsall with a metal blade as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gun4hire
lol @ dremel...

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel but you could use a sawsall with a metal blade as well.
a dremel went through my back springs in about 3 min
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

I wouldnt waste money on lowering springs myself. Just take your time and and cut them yourself, ITS FREE. Also when doing the front go to autozone and get a outside spring compressor and you dont even have to take the front springs off the car, takes about 10 mins aside once you get the strut off. I took off a full coil off the front and to me, its not enough with 26" tall skinnies on it but its all in what you like

Todd
Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

i don't know how this thread has gone on this long without someone stepping in and saying it's a bad idea. i'm not saying "no way don't do it you're an idiot" or anything, just giving you another opinion. if you're doing it for looks and don't care about handling or your shocks, fine, but it's not going to be a "free mod" really. unless you disassemble the front springs/shocks yourself, there's $120 bucks right there to have someone else do it. plus since you're lowering it there's another $100 you're gonna have to put towards an alignment(unless you'd prefer to just unevenly wear out your tires). then since your shocks aren't valved for the height you're going to be at you'll end up having to replace them sooner than you'd have to if you left your springs alone.

Originally Posted by pemberton
Well somebody else had a thread about cutting the springs and everybody that had done it was pleased. Also everybody that had not done it were saying to buy lowering springs.
probably because people who care about suspension and understand how it functions know that it is not a great idea, so they don't try it. people clueless to how suspension actually has to function and whom have never ridden in a properly set up car feel that it's "fine" to do.

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
Happy with the result since it didnt harshen up at all, and I had a little ground clearance to spare. IMO fine mod as long as you don't cut more than that off.
the reason it didn't stiffen up the ride at all is because you shortened the spring without increasing the spring rate. same spring, just shorter. more comfortable going over bumps, sure, but in hard turns and big bumps you'll have less suspension travel which means you'll be nailing the bump stops more often.

if you only cut off a reasonable amount, these problems will be minimal and you shouldn't have any MAJOR issues. definitely won't improve anything except looks though.

personally the only time i would ever cut springs though is if i wanted to match the height of my front lowering springs with a soft rear rear spring for drag racing(i.e. cutting my stock rear springs a tad so i had a nice soft spring rate for the rear)
Old 04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Wow, Thats all I have to say...
Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

justifying a $1000 dollar setup that i would never push hard enough to know is there just didn't seem smart to me. if your only looking to drop your car a little to get rid of the 4x4 look then cutting stock springs seems like a win-win to me. you keep a somewhat livable ride and it costs nothing. as far as cutting raising spring rates- it does but is still softer than most aftermarket springs anyway. 1 coil all the way around is about a perfect drop for a daily driver in my opinion. if i was going to do it on a car with decarbon's they wouldn't be going back on though
Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to use stock springs, remove isolator and put a piece of hose over the spring. Don't cut the springs. I don't care what anyone here says about their experience. Buy a set of lowering springs if you want to lower more than 1/2'' (that's about what the hose mod does). I cut a set of rear coils to lower the rear of my car. I ended up putting stock springs back on the rear and it rides much better.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Launching!

The amount u would need to cut to give u that lowered look is gonna make the car ride like ****. Have done this. Regretted it. Sold it. 2nd fbody bought cheap springs.Looked nice, rode rough. sold that car too. Bottom line is u will end up re doing it if u want to ride in your car comfortably. Buy some springs used if u dont wanna buy new. Even new at most they re 250 for Hotchkis but at least it will be done right and u can always change the shocks later.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9secbird
Wow, Thats all I have to say...
if you have a valid argument concerning anything i stated i would like to hear it. i don't want to argue, but i would like to hear what you disagree with. perhaps my comment about people not knowing about suspension thinking it's "fine" was a bit broad and in some cases untrue, but from past experiences that is generally the trend that i see.

if you just want a tiny drop and don't need extreme handling, cutting springs is alright in some cases, which i believe i clearly stated above.

Originally Posted by outkast6991
justifying a $1000 dollar setup that i would never push hard enough to know is there just didn't seem smart to me. if your only looking to drop your car a little to get rid of the 4x4 look then cutting stock springs seems like a win-win to me. you keep a somewhat livable ride and it costs nothing. as far as cutting raising spring rates- it does but is still softer than most aftermarket springs anyway. 1 coil all the way around is about a perfect drop for a daily driver in my opinion. if i was going to do it on a car with decarbon's they wouldn't be going back on though
this i can understand, so thank you for a friendly reply and not bashing. i suppose i'm a bit biased because i do a lot more aggressive turning/autox more than drag. i will agree though that 1 coil all around is a reasonable drop for a daily driver, and will not cause any major problems.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

if you decide to do this though, you're going to need an alignment. you'll also have to either buy/rent spring compressors or pay someone to do it. it's also a good time to replace shocks. once you're that far in, why not just pick up some springs used for like $120 or so. bmr, hotchkis, and slp eibachs all give modest drops and don't have uncomfortable spring rates.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
dont do it
did you do it? it kills me how many people who have never even ridden in a car with cut springs will swear how horrible your car will ride and so on. i searched threads all the way back to 2001 before deciding to do mine. there are even some reputable shops that suggest it for a mild drop. if i was an auto-X guy or slamming it in the weeds then this wouldn't be the way to go. for the average guy on the street this is a livable setup. i have bilsteins so i think that is part of the reason why my car rides as well as it does, i would never try it with stockers because they sucked from the begining. it seems like the people who have done it love it and the people that haven't swear your cars gonna blow up. oh well i guess it's just an internet thing

Quick Reply: Cutting Springs and Hose Mod.