Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

good street suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good street suspension set up

I have a 1999 ws6 looking to do some suspension mods, i use the car as a semi daily driver so im looking for suspension that will ride smooth and handle well. so far the suspension is mainly stock the only after market parts are Hotchkis lower trailing arms, panhard rod, what should i add next that will improve the handling the most.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I would go with a good set of weld in subframe connectors, a stut tower bar, and a set of strano springs and sway bars... it will be a night and day difference just depends on your budget.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I would go with a good set of weld in subframe connectors, a stut tower bar, and a set of strano springs and sway bars... it will be a night and day difference just depends on your budget.
Dont bother with this unless you have good shocks FIRST.
Good shocks are the single biggest improvement to these cars by a long shot. The STB will do absolutely nothing, and SFC's are arguable over the difference they make (most don't notice any performance benefit).
This is something you want:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

i immediately noticed a difference in how the car felt after doing the SFC.

it felt more ridgid, and honestly the ride got a little more harsh.

i say that but in reality the SFC solidified the frame, and made it brutally obvious that the stock 50K mile suspension (shocks mostly) were inadequate. so instead of the body absorbing some fo the bumps...the suspension had to do more of it.

for a budget, you are best to spend your money on GOOD shocks. they will make a bigger improvement than other smaller items and stock or cheap shocks.

for your goal and current mod list...

- koni 4/3 single adjustable shocks, on the lower perch in front and heater hose mod in rear for a 1/2" drop
- weld in subframe connectors

as for the STB not doing anything...i beg to differ. my initial experience with it was NEGATIVE, but that was due to my own install error. and in doing so it proved to me that there WAS something to be gained from the STB.
when i first got the bar i installed it on the car while it was pulled into an uneven parking space (dirt). basically the rear tires were level, but the front tires were at 2 different levels, basically one corner was higher.

i installed the STB and went for a drive. within 5 miles of uneven (lots of dips...not really rough) paved road my windshield had a stress crack in the middle bottom.

i went home and parked on flat pavement, unbolted the STB and i could see it shift about 1-2mm (only unbolted one side). this told me that the uneven parking spot twisted the frame, and bolting the STB on locked that twist in. and once the car was under stress on the uneven road...CRACK.

while it may not be huge...for $100 i think it helps.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

IMO, your final selection of parts will depend on whether you're more biased toward ride or handling.

If ride, I'd keep the stock springs, get some Strano Bilstein shocks and Strano Sway bars. If handling, I'd do Koni SA shocks, Strano springs and Strano sway bars. The first option will be much cheaper, btw, and still handle very nicely.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

not to steel the thread but how about more of a street/drag set up...what then?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Im in same boat you are and this is what I just ordered a week ago.

UMI subframe connectors (weld in)
Strano Springs
Koni shocks
Strano sway bar kit
UMI adjustable panhard bar
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

I have a completely stock 98 Camaro SS and i just put UMI weld-in subframe connectors and UMI dual adjustable rear lower control arms and the car feels way more solid over bumps and through turns it is a 100% better.

Quick Reply: good street suspension set up