Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much for lowering my car 1 inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for lowering my car 1 inch

Hey, can someone tell me how much it would cost to lower my 2001 Camaro ss 1 inch? I have no experience in suspension area.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

between $0 and $1000+

do you care about ride quality/handling? will you be installing it? do you care about having new parts vs. used? what will the car be used for primarily?

and does your car already have the level 2 bilstein/eibach suspension option? if so, an inch lower than that is lower than an inch lower from base stock ride height
Old 04-11-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

basically, all you NEED to lower the car is shorter springs. yes you CAN cut them, although i do not really advise that. that's another thread though.

no matter what you do, if you change the ride height of the front you need an alignment, so there's $100(unless you'd rather just unevenly wear out your tires haha)

then you need springs. lowering springs go for about $150ish used or $220ish new. you can also do the "heater hose mod" in the rear which will lower the back about 3/4" with stock springs.

then, if you care about handling/ride quality/any performance whatsoever you'll need new shocks that are valved properly for the springs you choose. your 3 major options are tokico, bilstein, and koni. tokico's are the cheapest, but also probably the lowest quality in build. bilsteins are the mid-range(this is what i chose), then the koni's. koni's are generally considered the best, and also the most expensive by quite a bit. for shocks figure about $4-800. you can lower on stock shocks, but they suck to begin with, and wearing them out only makes it worse.

then(if you so choose), you can do an adjustable panhard rod and lower control arm relocation brackets. these are optional. for me, i needed the relocation brackets to get traction. legitimately NEEDED. panhard bar isn't really required for only a small drop but your rear may be shifted slightly off center. these together come out to about $200.

if you're having it all installed by a shop the usual cost is somewhere around $400.

seems really expensive, but if you look around for stuff used and install it yourself, you can do it for a reasonable price. my total was about $400 for everything, then i installed it all myself.

Quick Reply: How much for lowering my car 1 inch