Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn 1" 25mm Rear Bar my best bet?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Spohn 1" 25mm Rear Bar my best bet?

Since the car is a street/strip car I don't want to run an actual drag bar like the Spohn or BMR etc. but I would like something better than stock for launching. On Spohn's website they say how their 1" 25mm rear sway bar is good for drag racers, are there any other options or is that my best bet? Will it throw off my handling on the street much? BTW I currently have the stock 1LE sway bars right now. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Since the car is a street/strip car I don't want to run an actual drag bar like the Spohn or BMR etc.
We also offer a 22mm bar just to let you know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We also offer a 22mm bar just to let you know.
Will that bar help my launching over the my 1LE? Looking for something that will help eliminate torque steer. Haven't actually ran the car and gotten torque steer yet but trying to get the car setup before I get to the track.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

No, I don't think that's your best bet. In fact I think you have a number of better bets.

In no particular order:

1. Strano hollow 22mm bar. Lightest weight bar you can get, 33% stiffer or so than a stock 19mm, same as an actually 21mm rear bar (most 1LE's are only equipped with 19's fwiw). That bar is $210.

2. Hellwig 22mm Adjustable. This bar is heavier because it's solid. But it's adjustable so you can mimic the stiffness of a bigger bar like a 25mm, but have the option to soften it if you like because a huge rear bar is not ideal for handling. That bar is $249. You can see it on my website.

3. Hellwig 25mm Adjustable. This bar can be made even stiffer than typical non-adjustable rear bar, acting even larger. I don't list this on my website, but I have it, it's also $249.

4. I have hollow 25mm rear bars that are non-adjustable too. Again, not listed on my website, but the price is the same $210 as the 22mm hollow. And again, you're saving a lot of weight (close to 10 pounds) vs. a solid bar of the same size.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default this is mine

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...-Rear-Bar.html now spohn makes good quality parts.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Will that bar help my launching over the my 1LE?
How much drag racing are you going to do with the car? Im just asking because for what you are doing the extreme might be your best bet. If your worried about the car coming off the line nice and level then that would solve the problem.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default american company.

and it's american made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! remember when you lose your job cause the products your buying are made in another country you can thank your self, ?????? buy american, like company b and c !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All Strano bars are made by Hellwig in California... Last time I checked there billyb, California was part of the United States of America.

And in fact, Hellwig supplies the US Border Patrol with bars for their patrol trucks... So not only are they made in the USA, they are made by a company that has government contracts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
How much drag racing are you going to do with the car? Im just asking because for what you are doing the extreme might be your best bet. If your worried about the car coming off the line nice and level then that would solve the problem.
Currently I take it to the track 2-3 times a year. However, once I get a rear the car will see the track alot more probaly 10 times a year or so. Eventhough the car is primarily street driven I've built it to focus on drag racing and being able to launch hard on the street from a dig. Handling and the sorts don't mean awhole lot to me but since the car is my primary driver during the nice months but I don't want anything that will negatively effect the comfortably too much.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No, I don't think that's your best bet. In fact I think you have a number of better bets.

In no particular order:

1. Strano hollow 22mm bar. Lightest weight bar you can get, 33% stiffer or so than a stock 19mm, same as an actually 21mm rear bar (most 1LE's are only equipped with 19's fwiw). That bar is $210.

2. Hellwig 22mm Adjustable. This bar is heavier because it's solid. But it's adjustable so you can mimic the stiffness of a bigger bar like a 25mm, but have the option to soften it if you like because a huge rear bar is not ideal for handling. That bar is $249. You can see it on my website.

3. Hellwig 25mm Adjustable. This bar can be made even stiffer than typical non-adjustable rear bar, acting even larger. I don't list this on my website, but I have it, it's also $249.

4. I have hollow 25mm rear bars that are non-adjustable too. Again, not listed on my website, but the price is the same $210 as the 22mm hollow. And again, you're saving a lot of weight (close to 10 pounds) vs. a solid bar of the same size.
I would prefer to go with a non-adjustable unless it is easy enough for me to learn how to adjust it for different conditions. Could you please explain the difference between your own Non-Adj. Hollow 22mm vs. the Non-Adj. Hollow 25mm that you offer in terms of launching/handling etc? I'm not too up on the game with sway bars unfortunately.

Also...I've been running your springs for over a year and love them but I am soon putting some Strange Drag Shocks on all around with Strange 300lb. Springs up front. Would you recommend I keep running your spring in the rear or maybe switch back to the 1LE stocker?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Adjustable bars are very easy to deal with. There are 3 settings. Each makes the lever arm a different length. The shorter the lever arm, the stiffer the bar is (less metal to flex). The less roll you want, the stiffer the bar. For a drag only car, you want a lot of bar to make the car leave very straight. But huge bars make for a not very pleasant car on the street, and not just on the handling side, but ride too... Essentially running mongo sized rear bars means the inside rear wheel is super lightly loaded anytime you are turning. The hard you turn, the more the inside wheel is unloaded---to the point you can easily pick it right off the ground which isn't good for stability or getting power down because a wheel in the air isn't very good at applying torque to the pavement.

There is nothing to an adjustable rear bar. Just think of it as 3 bars in one, or modular (but you don't have to buy other parts or change parts, just move the endlink position).

Here a picture, seeing it will scare you less. this is the 7/8"/22mm bar, the 1" bar looks the same, just a touch larger (obviously).

Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Eventhough the car is primarily street driven I've built it to focus on drag racing and being able to launch hard on the street from a dig. Handling and the sorts don't mean awhole lot to me but since the car is my primary driver during the nice months but I don't want anything that will negatively effect the comfortably too much.
If you are worried about drag racing and launching hard (and straight) then I would suggest the extreme. The street manners of that swaybar are not bad.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by billyb
and it's american made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! remember when you lose your job cause the products your buying are made in another country you can thank your self, ?????? buy american, like company b and c !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why did you buy a Canadian made car then?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't feel a 32/21 or 32/22 combination is near right--if I did, I'd push the Eibach kit, or the Addco kit... In fact if I felt a 32 front was right I'd recommend the stock SS front bar (which is the 1LE bar, because at least it's hollow and much lighter weight).

And don't get sucked into the "1LE" hype. The fact of the matter is only one year 1LE used a 32/21 combo, 1993. After that they were 32/19 (a balance my 35/22 setup is very similar to, just stiffer). And the reason '93 1LE's had those bars was because they were compensating for the fact they did not use "1LE" rear springs... just the front were stiffer and the rears were standard Z28. And fwiw, some here won't ever recommend my bars because I don't let them play pricing games.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll add this: The handling balance behind a 35/22 bar is outstanding, and more to the point--proven. Also when SLP took over the 1LE in 2001, those cars got a hollow 35 front, solid 21mm rear--as did the Bilstein Ultra Suspension cars. I just take that one step further and offer a hollow rear for even more weight savings.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Adjustable bars are very easy to deal with. There are 3 settings. Each makes the lever arm a different length. The shorter the lever arm, the stiffer the bar is (less metal to flex). The less roll you want, the stiffer the bar. For a drag only car, you want a lot of bar to make the car leave very straight. But huge bars make for a not very pleasant car on the street, and not just on the handling side, but ride too... Essentially running mongo sized rear bars means the inside rear wheel is super lightly loaded anytime you are turning. The hard you turn, the more the inside wheel is unloaded---to the point you can easily pick it right off the ground which isn't good for stability or getting power down because a wheel in the air isn't very good at applying torque to the pavement.

There is nothing to an adjustable rear bar. Just think of it as 3 bars in one, or modular (but you don't have to buy other parts or change parts, just move the endlink position).

Here a picture, seeing it will scare you less. this is the 7/8"/22mm bar, the 1" bar looks the same, just a touch larger (obviously).
Wow looks simple I could do that no problem. Couple quick questions for you...I'm going to be running some Strange Drag Shocks all around with probaly their 300lb. spring upfront. Would I be better off leaving your springs in the rear or sticking my stock 1LE's back in? Handling isn't the concern just hooking up the best I can. Also, do you carry or can you get the Strange Shocks? And how far are you from the State College area?

Search this Thread