Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How do i go about centering my rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do i go about centering my rear end?

Hey, i am just trying to get my watts link perfect. I just put new shocks and struts in, as well as some new tie rod ends and now it is off just a little bit. i can hear binding at launch. Anyway, the rear end looks like it is off about an inch to the left. MY question is, what is the best way to get a true center of the rear end? And make sure it is exactly in the center? And when i do find the center, how do i adjust my rear end to be at that point? Maybe Sam could chime in and enlighten me... or someone Sam-like in knowledge
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tape some thread with nuts/washers/fishing weights to the rear fenders dead center and measure how far the tires are horizontally away from the thread. . . . subtract the closer distance from the larger distance, divide by 2 and move towards the further distance that measurement. . . . . .
Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

how do i move the rear end? or do you mean just move the watts bars?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
how do i move the rear end? or do you mean just move the watts bars?

You adjust the length of the links on the Watts arm, in order to get the rear axle centered under the car.

What "Duffster" was trying to say about the string and washer deal, was to make yourself a couple of "poor boy plumb bobs", which you hang down the side of the car, and over the CENTER of both rear wheels. You then use the string as a gauge to determine how far the wheels are set in from the outsides of the fenders. Equallize this number on both sides of the car, and the rear is "centered".

Make sure that the weight of the car is on the suspension when making these measurements and adjustments. Working on ramps, if at home, or on a drive-on lift, if available, is the best way to do it.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

The thing is, with the watts link, is the bars have to be equal legnth and parallel. If i start adjusting them to accomidate for the off-center, then they won't be parallel, or am i wrong?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

They need to be parallel, and about the same length. You could just move the axle clamps left and right to get where you need. And you need to get it pretty close, if you are 1" off you need to shift your clamps a bit. Once you get pretty close, you can adjust the length of your links to fine tune it. They need not be 100% the same length, just close.

I had someone push on the car while I was under it with the link bars disconnected to see where I need to shift my clamps to get the axle lined up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

oh ok i gotcha. Im gonna try that and let you know how it is. Thanks Sam
Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Have a friend carefully push on the right rear side of the car while you readjust the axle clamps.