Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Wheel Firmness

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Firmness

Turning my steering wheel on my 02 camaro seems really firm or stiff. I've only owned my camaro for about 2 months and its the only fbody I've ever driven so I didn't know if this is normal or something might be wrong with my power steering. Someone please enlighten me on this.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

These cars have a pretty stiff feel to the steering wheel. My uncles 96 and my 02 both have very stiff steering, a lot stiffer than my old truck. I think it has to do with the tighter steering box gears. I may be wrong, but as long as your power steering pump isn't whing excessively or low on fluid it should be normal. Maybe someone else could chime in.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Lowaggie is right, the F-Bodies (especialy the performance versions) have always had a firmer feel to the steering wheel. In part because the steering gear ratios are pretty quick, but it is also because the suspension engineers at GM feel that by increasing the steering effort they are creating a "sportier" feeling car.

If your only problem is the stiff feel, I don't think you have a problem; worry less and enjoy your new Z.