Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstiens

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstiens

Are they worth it for a daily driver and once in a while a track car?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

They are the best for DD and occasional track if you're keeping stock springs. Softer and more comfy than Konis and much cheaper, too. Only Sam Strano sells the Bilstein set with the properly valved rears. That's definitely the way to go.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Yep we have the SLP Bilstein shocks and Hotchkis 1" springs on our car. Worth it definitely.
That's what I went with. Parts are in my garage and won't get a chance to install for a couple of weeks. Also doing front SB 30>32 mm with poly SB bushings F/R and an adj. PHB. From what I've read this ain't a bad setup if your looking for a comfy/perf type of ride with some drop. We'll see.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

They are great on my DD and feel better than the ones my stock WS6 came with from the factory.

The only issue I've had with them is in super-cold weather. (Below -5 degrees F.) When things get sub-zero, they turn solid bricks. The OEM deCarbons didn't do that -> but I hope to god you don't encounter these kinds of temperatures in TX!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by wssix99
They are great on my DD and feel better than the ones my stock WS6 came with from the factory. The only issue I've had with them is in super-cold weather. (Below -5 degrees F.) When things get sub-zero, they turn solid bricks.
It just about never gets that cold here, but I have to say, I never noticed a difference in cold weather with Bilsteins. My Konis, though, are terrible that way. They're bricks at anything less than 40*.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

i like my bilsteins, happy with them all around
Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

i love my bilsteins. i got the ones from strano. i think they are listed as the strano specific set up bilsteins. he just uses an older style rear shock that is better than the new ones.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I have the revalved Bilsteins from Strano, and Eiback Pro-Kit springs....yea, I know the springs stink.

My question is, how much better are Koni's than the Bilsteins?

I'll be upgrading my springs soon, and was wondering of the Koni's are really worth it. Would rather install everything at once.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go for Bilsteins, get them from Stranoparts. The SLP ones suck. But they are best for stock springs.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1" BMR's, SLP Bils and just went 1.59 60' with a bolt-on car. I like them!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone I'll be ordering a set soon.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Z28 Bacon Evader
I have the revalved Bilsteins from Strano, and Eiback Pro-Kit springs....yea, I know the springs stink. My question is, how much better are Koni's than the Bilsteins? I'll be upgrading my springs soon, and was wondering of the Koni's are really worth it. Would rather install everything at once.
Unless you have a lot of miles on the Bilsteins, I wouldn't change them. Revalved Bilsteins are a strong shock and should handle whatever springs you want to pair with them.

IMO, Koni's are overrated on this forum. Don't make the investment unless they really fit your needs.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28 Bacon Evader
I have the revalved Bilsteins from Strano, and Eiback Pro-Kit springs....yea, I know the springs stink.

My question is, how much better are Koni's than the Bilsteins?

I'll be upgrading my springs soon, and was wondering of the Koni's are really worth it. Would rather install everything at once.

Really, which is better is all relative to what you like your suspension to be.

I've owned both the Bilstein HD's and the Koni's and the Koni's are the superior shock for a great canyon carver.

Period.

Now, they might end up being too stiff for you...which may or may not be the springs/shock setup that you have.

But you have the revalved Bilstein's which Sam probably set up for the Eibach Prokit springs, so actually you probably have a pretty good handling car.

Great handling does not necessarily equate to great ride comfort...it's more like a firm suspension/shock setup will be more responsive, which will make you turn quicker, yadayadayada.
Ever drove in a 90's or 2000's BMW, any series? They are FAR from driving like a Caddy, they have a firm suspension, which makes them VERY responsive in the twisties.

Someone on this site actually changed his shocks from factory decarbons to Koni's and he absolutely hated it because the ride was too bone-jarring for him, he wanted a nice plush ride.

Since when do Camaro's have a plush ride???

So there you go, it's all dependent on how YOU feel about it.

See if you can find someone in your area who has the springs you WANT to get and the Koni's, go for a ride, and then decide, that's your best bet.

You have a nice setup because the shocks have been matched(revalved by Sam.) to the springrate of the Eibach Prokit, there's nothing wrong with that at all!!!

Why do you want to change the springs for?

I'm just curious.

AND, my understanding is the the revalved Bilstein's were revalved by Sam to match whatever springs you have or got. Most of the aftermarket springs have similar springrates AND they're stiffer than the Eibach Prokits so guess what? Your revalved Bilsteins may not be damped(read firm) enough to handle the newer stiffer springs that you're gonna get.

If I were you I would talk to Sam, let him give you the lowdown as to your options.

I could be wrong, and I sincerely hope so.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the slp bilsteins and I love em.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

See what I mean?

it's all relative to the individual and what they had before and what they have now.

Question fastmatt98, have you ever drove a 4th-gen f-body with Koni's?

What kind of springs do you have on right now?

And, is your cars suspension built for the twisties or for the 1/4, or sort of like in between?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Vid from Friday night on a 12.2 pass... just the burnout

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...samburnout.flv
Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

I'm thinking about selling my Koni fronts/KYB rears and going Bilstein with the old BMR's or Hotckis'. Like someone said, it's all about taste and I think the Konis are probably best suited for track duty cars, not a 1/4 mile track either, road racing.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
I'm thinking about selling my Koni fronts/KYB rears and going Bilstein with the old BMR's or Hotckis'. Like someone said, it's all about taste and I think the Konis are probably best suited for track duty cars, not a 1/4 mile track either, road racing.
CORRECT!!!

I have Koni's on my car, never seen a road race course, haven't even autocrossed yet, and I KNOW when I do I'm gonna have a kick-*** time when I do it cuz I got a great handling setup and I couldn't be happier.

And as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's safe and there aren't any cars around me, every time I hit a turn I hit it hard and fast because I can!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
And as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's safe and there aren't any cars around me, every time I hit a turn I hit it hard and fast because I can!
And that's when the undercover cops come out :/ and lecture me and then tell me they don't have time to give me a ticket