Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEED HELP Torque Arm Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP Torque Arm Bushing

Oh my god I need help....

I'm changing the torque arm bushing on my 2000 SS 6 speed. I removed the stock one, ground down the rivets, installed the new bushing on the arm, got the primary bracket in place, got the arm and bushing in place, got the outer bracket hooked on the primary bracket. BUT for the life of me, I can't get that damn top bolt to catch thread and close the brackets together. I know the thread is NOT stripped because I tested the bolt without any brackets in place. However, that bolt is really tricky and needs to be lined up perfectly for it to catch. So the first couple threads are so-so.

The hard part it getting that bushing to compress between the two brackets. I tried a C-clamp but it won't fit. I'm trying a large pair of channel locks, which kind of helps but it makes the bolt holes off center, so I can't get the bolt square enough. Are there any other things/tools I can try to get this thing to work? I'm probably going to try removing the trans crossmember tommorrow and see if that frees up some space...
There's just no friggin room to work with,

Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

remove the trans crossmember like you said and let the tranny drop down a little bit. You should have enough room then.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
remove the trans crossmember like you said and let the tranny drop down a little bit. You should have enough room then.
How much can I lower that thing without screwing anything up?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

It will drop down as far as it will go safely on its own. Don't try and yank it down any further and you will be fine
Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Ok I got a new bolt from the hardware store that I'm going to try....thing is that it's not Grade 10.9 like the original...i'ts only 8.8....which I think is OK since the torque spec is 37 lb-ft....does that sound right?? I was able to find a grade 12.9 socket head cap screw, which might be difficult considering it uses an allen wrench.

I can't remember if that bracket shell is supposed to close completely or if there's a gap between the two when the bolt is fully tightened....anyone know?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP Torque Arm Bushing