Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New parts are on Koni, strano, & UMI panhard bar

Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New parts are on Koni, strano, & UMI panhard bar

Updated new pictures

We'll I just finished installing strano springs, koni 4/3's, and UMI rod/poly phb.

The rears went really we'll without problem. The fronts I took off and had "the biz" a member on here to do the spring compressing....thanks! All went well until trying to get the front lower shock bolts to line up with the shocks. The first side was a pain in the ***....it was very close to lining up and probably could have hammered the bolt through but I didn't want to chance messing up the threads on the bolt. So after messing with jacking the lower A-arm and using a pry-bar underneath the shock I was finally able to get the bolts in easy. It ended up scratching a decent amount of paint off the bottom of the shock which I didn't like but I never drive in the rain so it shouldn't be a problem, plus it is on the very bottom so it can't be seen anyway

I had every intention of not posting any feed back until I had a chance to drive the car for awhile. But after a short drive I cannot help but to make a post.

The car is completely different than how it was before. I'm the first owner of the car and only has 28,000 miles and from day one I was never impressed with how it drove and handled. That has now changed!! The car is 100% better. It is much more responsive and predictable....it just flat out drives great now. As expected the ride is a little more stiff but you feel in control and by no means is it too rough. Before the car never felt stable and planted to the road like it does now. This is the way the car should have came from the factory and I cannot wait to get it aligned so I can put some miles on it.

As an added bonus it looks much better. I'll get some better pictures in a couple of days.

Once I get it aligned and some more miles on it I report back with more info.

A big thumps up to Sam, UMI, and Koni for make some great products

Last edited by ws6pewter; 04-22-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you suck. Im still waiting for my front koni's to come in. Hope to soon have exact same setup plus a few more goodies, UMI torque arm and lower control arms. Your car looks great with the drop and glad to hear another very satisfied customer of Sams. I cant wait

Your stock shocks look more at home now
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear about another satisfied Strano/Koni owner. I've had mine for a year and still rave to all my friends about this suspension.
Just a suggestion but you should try adding Sam's Hollow swaybars aswell, it makes for a truly impressive setup.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! My Springs come in on Tuesday, can't wait!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

that looks so sharp. and im loving those rims!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bought the same setup as you (minus the panhard). What settings did you put on your Konis?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6pewter
We'll I just finished installing strano springs, koni 4/3's, and UMI rod/poly phb.

The fronts I took off and had "the biz" a member on here to do the spring compressing....thanks! All went well until trying to get the front lower shock bolts to line up with the shocks. The first side was a pain in the ***....it was very close to lining up and probably could have hammered the bolt through but I didn't want to chance messing up the threads on the bolt. So after messing with jacking the lower A-arm and using a pry-bar underneath the shock I was finally able to get the bolts in easy. It ended up scratching a decent amount of paint off the bottom of the shock which I didn't like but I never drive in the rain so it shouldn't be a problem, plus it is on the very bottom so it can't be seen anyway
Haha, that's EXACTLY what my buddy and I did! I didn't feel comfortable hammering the bolts in, so I jacked up the LCA and he used a prybar under the shock to align the holes. F T W! There are few writeups out there on how to install these shocks but none of them mentions these details - and this is where the majority of the time gets lost if you've never done this before. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what bolts need to be undone to take out the shocks but it's the little things that can **** you up and waste your time.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

That's a nice looking car! And thank you for the business!
Take it easy!
Brad
Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For future reference, I install the lower shock bolts first then push the shock upper mount's bolts up thru the shock tower. Makes life much easier
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
For future reference, I install the lower shock bolts first then push the shock upper mount's bolts up thru the shock tower. Makes life much easier
Trust me I tried that for about 1/2 hour and there was no way the upper mount bolts were going in the holes on fender. It was close but not close enough.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Hey guys I thought I would throw this out here.

The other night when I put the panhard bar (before the shocks and springs) on and took it for a drive I noticed if I turn the car hard to the left while going anywhere from 20-50 mph I get a noise from there rear. The best way I can describe is it sounds like a very light tire rub but there is no tire rub that I can tell. Could this be added road noise from the panhard bar? It is the poly/rod combo. I wouldn't think so but thought I would ask.

I've only driven the car once since last year and didn't make any hard turns...so I have a feeling this is a pre-existing problem that I didn't notice. My gut feeling it is either an axle bearing or something in the differential even though the car is a 02 with only 28k miles. But the last 2 years I've only put 1k miles on it so it sits a lot and might have something to do with it.
If all else fails I might throw the factory wheels back on and see if the noise is still there just in case it is a very light tire rub that I cannot locate on the tire or fender. It's a lot easier to trouble shoot tire rubbing than ripping the rear end apart

Last edited by ws6pewter; 04-20-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Car looks good man, I'm currently in the process of doing the same thing only with 4/4s, strano's, umi panhard, and umi lca's. I just have stock wheels on mine right now but hope the stance looks close to yours.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Took it for another short drive and man I cannot say enough on how much better this car drives.

The noise that I have is not a tire rub, its something in the rear end

I was going to get better pictures but it started to rain.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. I love taking corners on mine.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Nice! I went with the Koni 4/4 and sway bars from Stano as well but opted for 550/175 Ground Control coil overs to be able to get the ride height I was perfectly rather than hoping whatever springs I get leave me where I'd like it. Although the Strano Springs do give you a nice stance.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

New pictures added!!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Also for future reference, masking tape helps keep you from scratching the shock up during installation. I scratched up my Tokicos a good bit and don't really care, but when I eventually get Konis, care shall be given!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned Village Idiot

car looks great!! good choice on the parts you got!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Car looks great!
I have koni's, UMI pan hard bar, lower control arms, and relocation brackets. I'm about to install them today.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

can we get a pic like a coke can under the car to reference how low to expect thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New parts are on Koni, strano, & UMI panhard bar