Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what all is needed to lower your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what all is needed to lower your car?

I plan on lowering my 98'TA(equiped with275-35-18). I am going with the BMR springs and either the Tokico HP or KYB AGX shocks. I believe I understand the importance of running a panhard bar. My question is, "is it mandatory to install one immediately in all instances of lowering your car, or is it a case by case scenario?"...you know, some people need em', others don't?

I ask this because my buddy had a stock 98'TA and the *** end hopped like a ****, I on the other hand.. stock as well, with no wheel hop........I plan on picking one up anyway, I was just wondering if I could install it later, or if I NEEDED to have it before I can even get it aligned........come to think of it, will I have any problems getting an alignment with the lowering kit?

Yall can flame the $hit outta me for bein a noob......just please try to explain your answers....thank you all so very much!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will need it to align your car if you go to a good place. When I lowered my car is pushed the rearend over almost an inch and does this to the wheels looking down on the car;

Front: I I
Rear: I I
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you want to go for Koni shocks, then perhaps I would go with a softer spring. The BMRs (or, better, Strano springs) are too tough for basically any other shock to control for our cars. Perhaps Sam Strano can recommend you a spring if you really don't want to go for Konis.

You don't always need to replace the PHB, especially if you don't go for a big drop. It depends on other factors as well, like what size tires.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AsEpSiS
I plan on lowering my 98'TA(equiped with275-35-18). I am going with the BMR springs and either the Tokico HP or KYB AGX shocks. I believe I understand the importance of running a panhard bar. My question is, "is it mandatory to install one immediately in all instances of lowering your car, or is it a case by case scenario?"...you know, some people need em', others don't?

I ask this because my buddy had a stock 98'TA and the *** end hopped like a ****, I on the other hand.. stock as well, with no wheel hop........I plan on picking one up anyway, I was just wondering if I could install it later, or if I NEEDED to have it before I can even get it aligned........come to think of it, will I have any problems getting an alignment with the lowering kit?

Yall can flame the $hit outta me for bein a noob......just please try to explain your answers....thank you all so very much!!!
A panhard bar should not help with wheel hop. Things like shocks, tires, LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, and a torque arm will control wheel hop.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 04-23-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AsEpSiS

Hello, your going to need an adjustable panhard bar. The body is going to shift off to one side when you lower your car. You can drive the car around with the old bar on but you might have a tire rub issue. The panhard bar is not needed to get the car aligned. Lower control arms and relocation brackets are your cure for wheelhop. If you have any questions about whats needed or install help give me a call. Our tech dept is open till 6pm est mon-fri.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 04-23-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: what all is needed to lower your car?