Heres my setup:

285 F1 GSD3's
Strano Springs
Koni SA's Front 4 from soft, Rear 1 from soft
Hotchkis sways
BMR non-adj torque arm and LCA's with relos
Recent alignment with approx -1 camber
1 inch spacers in rear

I can maybe understand the rough/bumpiness but the darting and weaving in the lane is getting pretty annoying. If theres even the slightest groove or bump in the road the car follows it. I have to drive with two hands pretty much all the time. Does anyone else experience this? Would setting the koni's to full soft help?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have the alignment re-checked (the Toe).
Did it start after the tires were installed?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My assessment is where 99Bluz28 is.

Sounds a bit like tramlining. When I went from 245/50 16" to 275/40 17" this happened. If it's worse, then the Toe should be looked at.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Wider tires will make the car follow grooves in the road more.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

It seems like this is a progressing issue over time. I've had the same tires for a while, it's actually my second set of these. I got the alignment about a year ago when I changed out my eibach springs for stranos. Do you think the place I took it for alignment will honor their work? Where exactly should the toe be? I'm sorta retarded when it comes to alignment specs...
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on who you went to, i got a lifetime alignment so i can go whenever i want.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

So I just got back from the shop and they said the alignment is dead on, and that the darting/extreme responsiveness is because of the thick tires and the nature of the car. They also advised that I turn up the koni's from 4 to 7 or 8 in the front, and the backs about 1-2 notches higher than what I set the fronts to. This is to make up for the stiff strano springs. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that’s totally against everything that I've read on this site. Then then charged me $40 for the alignment check
Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

I would suggest you call Sam Strano and see if he can help you since there his springs. Im still waiting on my front koni's so I havent been able to install my koni's and strano springs. Im interested in your fix and hope I dont have the same problems

From everything Ive seen on here and after talking to Sam, he has always been extremely helpful
Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds right to me.... you want more damping force due to the stiffer springs.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Sounds right to me.... you want more damping force due to the stiffer springs.
Nope, wrong.

The Koni's are more than adequate for handling Strano's springs, even on their soft settings.

I understand ALL of the issues you're suffering, 916LS1. I'm "retiring" my '02 from track duties this year, but while I had it setup for the track, I had approx. -2.5° camber, +4.5° caster, and about 1/16" of toe-in. I also ran with the shocks firmed up to FULL in the front, and 3rd highest out of 4 positions in the back (3rd-gen Koni's). Let me tell you, it handled AWESOME!!

..... but, not very "nice" on the street .

SO, fast-forward to now, I just want the car to be a nice daily-driver again.

I've already stood the tires up straighter (around ~ -1.0° camber) but I haven't actually had the car "properly" aligned ... I'm still thinking of getting this done. With 275's all around, it pulls and darts a lot more than I'd like it to. I think I accepted the behaviour last year, because I knew it was setup with a purpose.

As for the shock settings, I've dialled them down in the front 5 sweeps from full firm (so that's about ~3, maybe 4? up from full soft). The rears are currently 1 click up from soft, and again, I'm considering putting them full soft (although I'm not overly concerned with them where they are).

My last resort I think is going to be in the alignment. I'm not 100% confident in where I have it set, but I'm also sort of convinced that the 275 tires in front is what's killing it. I've been running them for so long now, I can't remember if the car just became this way once I started running them or not?

I can tell you though, if you firm up the shocks, I believe you'll find the feeling get worse, not better.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you happen to know those "dead-on" alignment specifications(caster, camber,toe)?
When the last time you rotated the tires(front to back)

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-29-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info Cap'n Pete! I want the car to handle great on the street but still want it rather tame. I guess its just about finding that happy medium. They never supplied the actual alignment specs, but did say the camber ended up at -.1. They also noted the tire wear was "perfect." Right now I got the fronts at 7.5 and the rears at 1 up from full soft. It steers great, and is super precise, but when the road is less than perfect, I gotta hold the **** on to the wheel! I'm almost wondering if my rack and pinion is going out...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 916LS1
So I just got back from the shop and they said the alignment is dead on, and that the darting/extreme responsiveness is because of the thick tires and the nature of the car. They also advised that I turn up the koni's from 4 to 7 or 8 in the front, and the backs about 1-2 notches higher than what I set the fronts to. This is to make up for the stiff strano springs. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that’s totally against everything that I've read on this site. Then then charged me $40 for the alignment check
Not sure who the mechanic is, but if history has told me anything it would be to never listen to Otto the local car mechanic about tuning my car. I'm guessing he knows nothing about the springs you have, except they are aftermarket. There's more to it than just, "The stiffer the springs are, turn up the shocks"
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Teching In

i recently insatlled eibach spotrline springs in my 98 camaro, adjusted the alignment as close as possible to factory specs ( ran out of adjustability in the stock k member ) and have the same darting issue as you describe. I have chalked it up to lowering the car and just deal with it. actually is handles like every other lowered car i have driven, and working for an acura dealer we see alot of lowered cars, just not with 275/45/17 s on them.....
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More caster might help you some. But nothing's
going to eliminate the tendency entirely.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
Wider tires will make the car follow grooves in the road more.
I know I've heard this... but I'm running P285s on all four wheels and have not noticed this behavior.

(I am still on the stock springs/shocks. I have Strano springs setting... waiting to be installed. Install has been delayed by recent knee surgery.

I am also planning to install new shocks when I install the springs. )
Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wider tires will cause it to follow the worn road. Have you checked the wheel bearings? Alignment techs don't always check for worn parts like they should. I had my 97 start pulling all over like that it was a worn bearing.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I have about 68K on the clock. Could my bearings be going bad???
Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have about 68K on the clock. Could my bearings be going bad???
Yes . I had one go with ~25k on it, and its replacement lasted another ~50k, while the other side lasted the whole ~75k (I changed the two of them at the same time).

THEN, the aftermarket replacements I put on only lasted the summer last year, with a few road race events on them (they were made by SKF ... I've heard the Federal Mogul ones are better ).
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I have been told that before. I got my car aligned somewhere else and never had it again.

Quick Reply: Ride is bumpy and very darty