Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good replacment Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good replacment Shocks?

Ok guys I think I need shocks. At least on the front anyway. What do ya'll recommend for a good heavy duty replacment shock? I'm not running a auto cross or anything. I just need a good heavy duty replacment that I don't have to sell my first born to buy.

Oh yeah! It's a 02 Ram air Trans am

Vinny
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

If I was looking for a set of replacement shocks for a 4th gen with stock springs and didn't want to spend and arm and a leg, then I'd look into the Strano spec Bilsteins. They don't control lowering springs very well, but heard good things about stock replacements. And heard that Bilstiens are built pretty well, aka heavy duty.

Hope that steers you in the right direction.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I don't understand. How are the Strano spec Bilsteins different than Bilsteins bought somewere else? The price isn't much different than other places but I was only wanting to replace the front right now.

Vinny
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was talking about the Bilsteins that Sam Strano would revalve, but I do not think Sam revalved Bilsteins anymore.

Do you plan on lowering your car at all?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

As of now I don't. The funny thing is is that I don't see how these cars could be lowered much in the front. There is a rattle in the front and i can't locate it. I believe it maybe the shocks are wore out. The car "Looks" lowered slightly in the front compared to other cars like it. Could this be from worn shocks? Oh yeah the car only has 48,000 miles on it and it looks the same as when I bought it 2 yrs ago at 36,000 miles.

Vinny
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Strano uses a different rear shock than the standard package Bilstein markets. It has less compression and more rebounding damping like the original version Bilstein designed for our cars. It's better both at absorbing bumps and keeping the rear end planted - very important with the live axles on our cars.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vinny1
As of now I don't. The funny thing is is that I don't see how these cars could be lowered much in the front. There is a rattle in the front and i can't locate it. I believe it maybe the shocks are wore out. The car "Looks" lowered slightly in the front compared to other cars like it. Could this be from worn shocks? Oh yeah the car only has 48,000 miles on it and it looks the same as when I bought it 2 yrs ago at 36,000 miles.

Vinny
The rattle in the front is least likely from shocks or the springs, especially since you mention the appearance hasn't changed between the time you've owned it. If the rattle occurs over slight bumps, then you may want to inspect if all of the bolts to the front A-arms are tightened properly, including the lower a-arm bolts which allow alignment adjustment. Then inspect your ball joints and see if they may need replacement. Unfortunately, even with the least amount of driving, some of the smallest suspension parts wear over time from various climate/weather conditions.

Chasing rattles will be a problem, but nevertheless it should be done before much more serious problems will occur.

Even so, if you need new shocks, I'd say look into what Sam Strano could offer you.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a set of front SLP Bilsteins (P/N: 710750810), then later get a set of rear Bilstein Sport shocks(P/N: B46-1021-H0) for a 3rd generation Camaro/Firebird.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Well the rattle is really more of a slight knocking coming from the front left when going over small bumps at a slow speed (30 mph or less). I have checked tons of stuff on the front, even changed the end links but its still there. The front also "looks" lower than some of the other cars I have seen like it.

Vinny
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Possibly a loose upper shock nut.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vinny1
Well the rattle is really more of a slight knocking coming from the front left when going over small bumps at a slow speed (30 mph or less). I have checked tons of stuff on the front, even changed the end links but its still there. The front also "looks" lower than some of the other cars I have seen like it.

Vinny
My car has also made that "slight knock" ever since i bought it with 31k miles. (71 now) Im currently in the process of putting new strano springs on and now need new shocks so hopefully that fixes that as well has making it look better and ride better.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

What kind of power you getting out of your mods?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

pulled 318rwhp and 317rwtq on just motor. On nitrous 389rwhp 401rwtq BUT the nitrous solenoid would shut off and so it would just start running rich and for ever i couldnt figure it out.. so i just recently bought some nitrous outlet solenoids and got them installed and could feel a huge diff on just 75 shot but its running a little lean so i need to take it back and have it retuned. If you want shoot me a PM and I can send you one back after I get it retuned and let you know. It will probably be a few weeks to a month though.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Possibly a loose upper shock nut.

How can I check this nut?

Quick Reply: Good replacment Shocks?