Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front brakes driving me f***ing crazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes driving me f***ing crazy

Here me out on this one. I did the fronts brakes on my formula, went to test drive and the front brakes made a loud scraping noise on the front. Pulled the wheels back off, and with the caliper removed, spun the rotor, and the top of the rotor is scraping apparently against the brake hardware[which is new] in the caliper bracket. I didn't see anything wrong with the hardware, so I took a lugnut and tightened it up against the rotor to center it and the noise went away. Drove it a couple of days and it started doing the same thing on the other side. Went through the same steps with centering the rotor, noise went away[ this was last Sunday], noise gone until today. Same ol crap, different day. The noise seems to be more prevalent when turning and braking at the same time. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

# 1 where did you get your rotors, and 2, what do you mean centered the rotors?

when you put your wheels on did you use a impact wrench? Or did you put the bolts on in a star pattern by hand? Airgun= you probably tweaked the rotor with too much torque. did you grease up the sliding pin that goes into the bracket the pads sit on?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like the bracket isn't holding the caliper right. Take the caliper off and see if the rotor is rubbing the caliper. It happened to me and had to get a new bracket.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

oberth1,
The rotors are the ones that were on the car but it will make the noise with the caliper completely off the car, just spinning the rotor freely. With no caliper on the car, the rotor is hitting something in the caliper bracket as you spin the rotor. You can see places on the top of the rotor fins where it has been rubbing as the brake dust is cleaned off.I centered the rotor on the hub,where it wouldn't move, by tightening a lug nut against the rotor while I remounted the caliper. Ive looked at the hardware over and over again and don't see anything wrong.Like I said,the noise went a away, and then I noticed again tonite. This is pretty basic stuff and that i why I'm so frustrated.

Thanks again
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check your wheel hubs/bearings. They can sound like squeaking or bad brakes when they go out. The fact that the sound is more pronounced when you are turning also points to a bearing issue. (If you get the sound when you are not applying the brakes then that's another pointer to the bearings.)

If you take the caliper and rotor off, you can spin the hub and feel it. It should be perfectly smooth. If it grinds, its bad.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Check the entire heat/dust sheild. It can get bent during service and rub against the rotor on the back side in a spot.

Vernon
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you get the brake hardware? And by brake hardware I assume you are referring to the pad shims? If you got them from autozone, they do rube the rotor, especially when the brakes get warm. I tried a few sets from autozone and they all did it. Finally I bought a set from NAPA and I no longer have the isssue.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the the two spring sliders in place on both sides of the pads?
Is the the anti rattle spring properly placed on the caliper?

Quick Reply: front brakes driving me f***ing crazy