Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes for Road racing DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes for Road racing DD

My 2002 Camaro, has a Strano suspension set up, but I have a 12 bolt..

Anyhow, Ive roadraced a couple times before.. and my brakes have been

Hawk Pads and EBC red stuff pads..

Im looking for a brake pad, that isnt loud or that dusty like the 2 mentioned above, but something a bit upgraded as far as "bite" goes...

Basically I want a streeable pad thats a bit better grabbing than the EBC yellow stuff or Red stuff or better than The Hawk pads...

Any recommendations?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Any recommendations?
Change out the pads before you head to the track.

I feel that your gonna come up empty handed looking for a pad that performs better with less dust.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I don't know that you can have it both ways. I've had ceramics and they have less dust and are very fade resistant but their bite is not so great. I liked them though. I currently have HPS and their bite is better but they are dusty. They were great on a small track but not so good on a higher speed track. I'm trying HP+ next. I may go back to ceramics or have pads dedicated totrack use.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think ebc reds would be your best bet.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I currently have HPS and their bite is better but they are dusty. They were great on a small track but not so good on a higher speed track."

Same here.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

An aggressive pad is going to have dust...period. The more you up the operating temps of pad compounds, the more they generate dust and noise when cold.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Viper
"I currently have HPS and their bite is better but they are dusty. They were great on a small track but not so good on a higher speed track."

Same here.
I actually found the opposite . I've run my street ceramic pads on the track (short and long tracks) and had very little fade, and reasonably "acceptible" performance from them . Then one time I thought I'd try my Hawk HPS's in the front only, instead of the ceramics ..... big mistake! The backs out-braked the front, and lead to me sending my car off-track in a big way .

Since then, I've run with DEDICATED track pads ... either Hawk HT14's (slightly more aggressive version of the HT10) or Hawk DTC70's ... in the FRONT ONLY. I leave the street ceramics in the rear. "Upgrading" the rear pads only leads to wicked amounts of rear wheel-hop (my '93 Z28 came with Hawk Blues on all 4 corners, and I couldn't get through any braking zone without locking up the rears).

The ceramics have truly worked well for me, if I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of "ultimate" braking capability, and drive accordingly.

However, you will find that even Hawk HPS's (just a regular "street pad") will dust SIGNIFICANTLY more than ceramics, and their performance is no better. So you're left with upgrading to a true track pad, which unfortunately, WILL dust a lot.

Just buy a set of pads for the track, and switch them out between street/track .
Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

What about using a good track pad for the track only? This way you don't burn off the pads you drive on daily and you'll have a safe set for street driving.

I'm assuming sticking with a good high quality set of rotors would be good to keep on while you swap between pad types?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I actually found the opposite . I've run my street ceramic pads on the track (short and long tracks) and had very little fade, and reasonably "acceptible" performance from them . Then one time I thought I'd try my Hawk HPS's in the front only, instead of the ceramics ..... big mistake! The backs out-braked the front, and lead to me sending my car off-track in a big way .

Since then, I've run with DEDICATED track pads ... either Hawk HT14's (slightly more aggressive version of the HT10) or Hawk DTC70's ... in the FRONT ONLY. I leave the street ceramics in the rear. "Upgrading" the rear pads only leads to wicked amounts of rear wheel-hop (my '93 Z28 came with Hawk Blues on all 4 corners, and I couldn't get through any braking zone without locking up the rears).

The ceramics have truly worked well for me, if I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of "ultimate" braking capability, and drive accordingly.

However, you will find that even Hawk HPS's (just a regular "street pad") will dust SIGNIFICANTLY more than ceramics, and their performance is no better. So you're left with upgrading to a true track pad, which unfortunately, WILL dust a lot.

Just buy a set of pads for the track, and switch them out between street/track .
That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say Hawk ceramics stop better than HPS pads. In fact I don't recall it ever being a controversy before.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the most agressive pads you could drive on the street would probably be Hawk HP+.

I think thats rather dumb though, I would just switch the pads out for trackdays which is what I do. I use Carbotech XP8 in front and AX6's in the rear and then for the street I switch back to Hawk HPS. I have two different sets of rotors too.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say Hawk ceramics stop better than HPS pads. In fact I don't recall it ever being a controversy before.
I didn't say Hawk ceramics. The brand I've been running are Satisfied (not sure who manufactures them?). All I know is that the HPS's made a lot dust, heated up fast (I could smell them) and didn't work worth a crap on the high-speed track ..... I felt better with the ceramic pads!

Having two sets of brakes, and switching for the track, is truly the best way to go about it.

As for NOT using "track pads" on the street?? Umm, I've driven around quite a bit with both HT14's and DTC70's on the front of my car, and never had a problem . They actually stop the car quite well, you know
Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Actually Cap'n Pete, I'm in agreement with you. I had ceramics for awhile (still have them on the back) and they did really good on the road coarse. The initial bite of the HPS on the street is better but the ceramics are consistently great performers on the track. Remember guys, we are talking about 2 different worlds here. Yes, from 50mph on the street my HPS pads will out-perform the ceramics, IMO. However, on repeated stops from 140mph on the track, the ceramics win hands down. I thought the HPS might be an upgrade for street and track duty but I was wrong. Also yes, I probably should have pads specifically for the track.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, so now it comes down to this... Im fine with dust, its less noise I want really..and if its just impossible to get rid of that, then just tell me some good pads for the track... I can deal with it, I was just checking if such a thing did exist..

And what are some prices on these pads?

Something stronger than Hawk ceramic or HAWK HPS, EBC red stuff..

Ive run those 2 (I think it was Hawk HPS.. I felt it had the best bite from all of the above)...

Anything stronger than those 2, without killing my wallet?
(say im considering dealing with dust and even noisyeness)
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

ALso what brake fluid is compatible w my stock setup...

is there anything better than DOT 4 synthetic I can use, that will work fine?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Actually Cap'n Pete, I'm in agreement with you. I had ceramics for awhile (still have them on the back) and they did really good on the road coarse. The initial bite of the HPS on the street is better but the ceramics are consistently great performers on the track.
I would agree with that statement as well. Ceramics DON'T have a great initial bite, but when you stand on them, they work . And they'll take the repeated use/abuse quite well. AND, they do so without dusting OR squealing!!

Dedicated track pads WILL dust & squeal, but they also perform WAY better than any street pad ever will, so they're worth the sacrifice.

Basically, what it comes down to is there is NO "dual-purpose" pad that will satisfy dust & noise AND performance. IMO, from my experience, ceramics come about as close as you can get (again, their initial bite is less aggressive, but I find they're very controllable and consistant, for several laps, and they do bite when you stand on them ). Hawk HP+ are supposed to be a good "dual-purpose" (street/track) pad, but they won't keep the rims clean like a ceramic.

That's my $.10!!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I would agree with that statement as well. Ceramics DON'T have a great initial bite, but when you stand on them, they work . And they'll take the repeated use/abuse quite well. AND, they do so without dusting OR squealing!!

Dedicated track pads WILL dust & squeal, but they also perform WAY better than any street pad ever will, so they're worth the sacrifice.

Basically, what it comes down to is there is NO "dual-purpose" pad that will satisfy dust & noise AND performance. IMO, from my experience, ceramics come about as close as you can get (again, their initial bite is less aggressive, but I find they're very controllable and consistant, for several laps, and they do bite when you stand on them ). Hawk HP+ are supposed to be a good "dual-purpose" (street/track) pad, but they won't keep the rims clean like a ceramic.

That's my $.10!!
So Unless anyone could answer my 2 other posts just above this statement,..

I would say the Hawk HPS would be the best pad to go with.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you really doing a road race? Or just saying you want to set your car up like one that is capable of road racing?

I've never done one, but I plan on doing one of the local road track driving schools probably next year. I've heard that almost stock brakes as long as they are in good working condition (pads, rotors, fluid) will be passable on the inspection. That being said, it's a school and I'd be learning how to take myself around the track. HPS will work for this.

So I'm not sure how serious you are about road racing. You'll have to decide that. And this decision probalby revolves around how serious you are. Just be careful though, I'm sure a Camaro with 463 tq will be a handful. I know mine is and I only have 381 rwtq.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Are you really doing a road race? Or just saying you want to set your car up like one that is capable of road racing?

I've never done one, but I plan on doing one of the local road track driving schools probably next year. I've heard that almost stock brakes as long as they are in good working condition (pads, rotors, fluid) will be passable on the inspection. That being said, it's a school and I'd be learning how to take myself around the track. HPS will work for this.

So I'm not sure how serious you are about road racing. You'll have to decide that. And this decision probalby revolves around how serious you are. Just be careful though, I'm sure a Camaro with 463 tq will be a handful. I know mine is and I only have 381 rwtq.

Im road racing @ Willow Springs, Streets of willow (shroter track)... All day event, but Im not gonna go like 30 laps non stop.. Il probably do a most of 8 - 10 laps, before taking a break.. Maybe more, depends..

But @ 3500lbs without me in the car, it weighs a lot, the rollbar and 12 bolt arent helping me with that...

But I do want to run maybe the Hawk HPS pads and some good brake fluid for my braking and some good brakefluid for the clutch...

The bery first ime I went to Willow springs, I had the Hawk HPS and they lasted the whole track (obviously) and 6 months after with numerous times spirited driving taking place...

I just wanted to know if there was a better pad out there, but apparently not..

Based on what I read in this thread, the Hawk HPS is the best street.strip pad. and Ill be okay with that.. I dont have time to always be changing out my rotors and pads..

and I think with the Nitto NT01s Ill be running all around, Ill have a fun day..

But I still would like to hear what others have to say and I still do want to know, if there is anything better than DOT4, I can run in my DOT 3 OEM setup??

thanks...

and I know the torque is gonna have me driving even more careful.. But I have to live with it...

I am going to invest in some DOT radials for the road course for the next time that comes around..
Ill be probably putting 275 Hoosiers on my Sawblades..

edit:

Also Id like to add, I probably wont be going above speeds of 120(if even that)... Because its a slow track with cornering probably when Im in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time...

If Im not gonna go with the Hawk pads..Im willing to try a more high performance pad, that makes lots of dust and nouse.., but I dont want it to be something I have to immediately swap out after the track day is over..
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good. I think those details will get some good opinions for you from some of the road racing guys here.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think there is anything above DOT4 that is OK for our cars. There is a DOT5+ (I think) that is supposed to be compatible but I'm not sure. I have had no overheating problems using DOT3/4.

My experience with the HPS is that they worked great when slowing from 90 - 100mph. From 130 - 140mph, not so good. They would actually fade quickly and then grab which still makes me scratch my head. It was a cooler day though so maybe they just needed some heat in them. I dunno but I'm not using them on that track again.

Quick Reply: Brakes for Road racing DD