Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting the springs - no opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting the springs - no opinions

I'm going to cut the stock springs in order to lower the TA. Just wanted to know how much to cut off on the front and back. I know a few people on here have done this but I can't find them in the search.

Don't tell me how bad it is I don't want anyones opinion on that because if I don't like it after I cut them I will just get new springs.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For your own good and everyone else's safety:

Don't cut your damn springs.

It compromises the springs in many ways, not the least of which being the spring rate. They are designed to operate at full length, when you go cutting them, you negatively impact the spring rate. This will make the car handle less predictably and give you a bad ride.

Either leave them alone, or save for some lowering springs. Hack jobs never got anybody anywhere.

I know you didn't want opinions, but I gave it to you anyway, because I'm trying to prevent you from doing something foolish.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cut 1 coil in front and either 1 or 1.5 in the back with the hose mod, i can't remember for sure.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Just cut mine this week took one coil off the front and half of a coil off the rear with the hose mod, looks good rides good, feels stock. No negative side effects yet.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
For your own good and everyone else's safety:

Don't cut your damn springs.

It compromises the springs in many ways, not the least of which being the spring rate. They are designed to operate at full length, when you go cutting them, you negatively impact the spring rate. This will make the car handle less predictably and give you a bad ride.

Either leave them alone, or save for some lowering springs. Hack jobs never got anybody anywhere.

I know you didn't want opinions, but I gave it to you anyway, because I'm trying to prevent you from doing something foolish.

chip foose disagrees with you.....
Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've run cut springs on several of my f bodys for a quick fix. 1.5-2 coils off front, 1 coil and hose mod on rear. Lowers right at height of sportlines basically.

If your shocks have low miles, it will ride VERY close to stock. If you have over 100k mi shocks, it usually will ride worse and tend to wheelhop on hard pulls.

Case in point, my old TA(in sig) cut springs, 72000 mi stock shocks, rode like a dream. Buddies 98 SS w/ 135k on stock shocks, rides like ****.

Honestly, any of the aftermarket springs will do the same thing with worn shocks. Only difference is the car won't handle as good with cut vs aftermarket progressive rate springs.

It cost to floss! cut them suckers!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

not an opinion, but fact. cutting metal means friction, which produces heat, and heat warps metal. Cutting springs will screw them up, especially if you do it with a f***ing torch.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by adam1803
I cut 1 coil in front and either 1 or 1.5 in the back with the hose mod, i can't remember for sure.
Hey! Can't you read? He said no opinions. So no suggesting how many coils he should cut.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Launching!

I have a set of brand new lowering springs if you end up needing them.
PM me if need be. (Eibach pro kit)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM

I've cut the springs on probably 20 different cars, and I can tell you to ONLY cut 1 on the front. It will drop about 2", any more than that and it drops fast and the ride gets rough. 1 coil and it rides the same. As for the rear it is always trial and error. I start with about 2, but usually wind up taking about 3 to 3 1/2 to get it level.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Use a cutoff wheel when you do it. I use an outside coil spring compressor to get the bottom coil off the seat on a strut car then whack 1/2 coil first, then the last 1/2 after that so the spring will not fly off and kill you and I don't have to tear it all apart to get to the spring. Important!!! No more than 1 coil on the front of an F-body!!! Start with 1 1/2 on the rear. It is easy to keep pulling them out to trim more.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't think it's a good idea, please, don't cut more than one coil if you feel you really need to do it.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Hey! Can't you read? He said no opinions. So no suggesting how many coils he should cut.
Actually that is EXACTLY what he was asking for.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to add that I said one coil in the back, but I actually did "2." THe first coil is the one thats up top and is basically flat so the spring sets level. Cut that one off plus one more. Heres a pic of my buddies SS we cut last week. Its actually 2 off the rear, hose mod, 1 coil off pass front spring, 2 off the drivers side. Don't ask why the fronts are 2 diff cuts to get same drop. All I can guess is the drivers side springs have a little more rate to compensate for someone sitting on that side the most.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Every car is different and from the pic in your sig it's hard to tell how much you need to cut. Do the hose mode in the rear for 1/2 to 3/4" drop and cut accordingly ... 1/2 to 3/4 coil to get the drop you want. Very similar in the front ... 1/2 to 1" and see how it sets up. The general rule from my experience is 1 coil to 1.2" reduction.

It's amazing how this subject creates panic and irrational reactions in otherwise sane hobbyists. You just have to take it in stride. Figure out what you're trying to achieve on your car and go for it.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

I have a set of sportlines but i think ill be cutting mine. car only has 44k and i think ill have better ride just by cutting them. I have a buddy who cut his and his looks great.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Im planning on cutting 1 off the front and 1 1/2 off the back with the hose mod. Can someone give me a measurment or something. Not real sure on where you start and end to actually get 1 full coil. Any pics or advise would be great. thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kkslds
Im planning on cutting 1 off the front and 1 1/2 off the back with the hose mod. Can someone give me a measurment or something. Not real sure on where you start and end to actually get 1 full coil. Any pics or advise would be great. thanks
Just look at where the spring ends...go straight down from there and cut! = 1 coil exactly. just a tip, if you cut the front coils on the car/shock, cut a half coil at a time, that way you can take out the pieces instead of having a coil stuck in there you cant remove without dissasembling the shock.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Just look at where the spring ends...go straight down from there and cut! = 1 coil exactly. just a tip, if you cut the front coils on the car/shock, cut a half coil at a time, that way you can take out the pieces instead of having a coil stuck in there you cant remove without dissasembling the shock.
well thats what i was wondering about since the spring is flat for a portion of it. wasnt for sure where to actually start at

Quick Reply: Cutting the springs - no opinions