Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lower it? keep it? i need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower it? keep it? i need some opinions.

i'm trying to sort out what to do...

i've done the "hose mod" in the rear, but it still sits a little high. I want to put on some new rims/tires and fill in the gap a little better but have been advised against "bigger than stock" (height) tires and was told to lower it.
i was thinking about some 18's and 19's or 19's all around (obviously thinner tire in front).

the stock tire height, by the book, is about 26.18", but because they're 235/55/16,s they actually ride closer to 25.5" resulting in about 1.5" gap in front (which is fine) but a 2.5" gap in the rear which looks terrible.

my only real problem is in the rear, so can you buy springs for just the rear? right now, i don't want to have to worry about shocks and replacing a bunch of stuff that's not really needed.

if i do just the rear, should i stay with the hose or put the isolators back in?

i'm really stuck and confused on what to do here......

i think the ride height is fine for now, it just looks hideous! My other thought was if i go with a slightly bigger tire, to get a hypertech programmer, since i can adjust for tire size. i was planning on getting one anyways, i would just now have more than one reason to.

can i get some opinions?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first thing i was gonna say is just changing the rim size doesn't affect the space in the fender. that's the tire size.
changing tire size affects speedo, gearing and overall ride height.

BUT it seems like you realize that.

i know BMR sells their rear springs separately. and likely you'll want the isolator back in otherwise your rear may be lower than you want. its something easy enough to pull out if it ends up not being true.

lowering springs without shocks is a bad idea. stock shocks are barely able to control stock springs...when they're NEW. let alone a lowering spring.

if you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. talk to Sam Strano at www.strano-parts.com about what you want and he'll get you going in the right direction. there ARE other options out there than the $$ Koni SAs.

oh yeah...the hypercrap is not worth it.

you can have a quick mail order tune done for less, and you'll get more tuning options.