Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Da vs. Sa

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Da vs. Sa

I have been doing much reading and searching here, but haven't really found what I am looking for. So help would be appr.

1. Are the SAs worth the significant cost over the DAs?

2. What are the benefits / performance advantages between the two?

3. If I am using lowering springs, do I need the option of the lower perch as found on the SA?

Thanks guys. I just ordered springs and phr, and I am 85% positive I want Konis. I found front DAs for about $200 cheaper than SAs. Also, are the DAs (koni # 8242 1005SP1) the same shocks used in the 1LE (GM #22140240)? Thanks again
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Significant cost difference? Brand new the DA are only $25 more per shock than the SA.

-SA $732
-DA $832
Old 05-03-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DA's are worth it if you think you will use the extra adjustability.

They are both very good and really the difference is mostly in the extra adjustment you can do with the DA. Otherwise they will perform pretty similarly. I bought the SA's to save a few dollars, because I don't really track the car and didn't need the extra adjustment, and I wanted the lower perch for my stock springs.

The lower perch is really more for people with stock height springs (like me).

If you can get the DA's for cheaper than why not? Either way you will be getting good dampers.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

So the 1LE shocks are better than the typical 4/4 4/3 setup? Like I said, I found the GM part # 22140240 (front only set) for $360. This is compared to the SA for around $520-550. If I am gonna spend this kind of money, I want to get the best product. However, I do want to save money here. If the DAs are better, I am going with those. I read on here from Sam that the DAs were inferior. Though there wasn't much explanation why other than build quality. That is pretty vague considering Konis are supposed to be the best of the best. I wouldn't think that two of their premium shocks would be that different in build quality.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

SA's adjust rebound only. DA's adjust both rebound and compression. Having both adjustments may sound like it would be awesome, but really the reason why I get adjustable shocks is because they provide a setting that dampens the suspension the way I need them to. I have SA's and never changed my settings since I added them on and have no need to. Koni's got the compression setting nailed down. Different springs don't make a difference in what compression setting you need. Compression controls unsprung weight. If significantly changing the unsprung weight, espeically with a heavier rear end, compression adjustability may be useful if you want to play around with the settings.

DA's I guess have less suspension travel before bottoming out due to the bottom adjustment. It takes up extra space that the SA's have available with no adjustment. I'm not sure if that means you can bottom out given the stock bumpstops remain there and unaltered.

So basically DA's are more than most people really need. Adjustability is good as long as it provides a setting that will dampen springs properly and the SA's can take care of most aftermarket springs. If you get the double adjustables and end up leaving them at the same settings as the single adjustables anyway, then I don't see why you need the DA's.

And the lower perch is way too low for lowering springs. Stock height springs are fine at that setting, but lowering springs with the lower perch leaves little suspension travel left.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know where you got your prices from, but I would varify those prices first before ordering.

The Koni DAs cost a lot more than the SAs that $360 is most likely each, not for a pair! Even then that's a really good price considering $400 is about the average price for 1 front Koni DA.

I got these prices from gmpartsdirect.com
Collision Catalog - 1999 - Chevrolet/Geo - Camaro

These prices are each, not a pair.
Front suspension, Struts and components, Strut, W/z28, W/race prep pkg.
MSRP $735.89, Your price $436.24
Rear suspension, Suspension components, Shock, W/race prep pkg, W/race prep pkg. MSRP $749.42, Your price $444.26

So You're looking at $1761(gmpartsdirect.com) for a set of 4 ,before shipping cost!

I've had the Koni DAs before, and had constant problems with them leaking(front and rear).

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-03-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N34Stryker
So the 1LE shocks are better than the typical 4/4 4/3 setup? Like I said, I found the GM part # 22140240 (front only set) for $360. This is compared to the SA for around $520-550. If I am gonna spend this kind of money, I want to get the best product. However, I do want to save money here. If the DAs are better, I am going with those. I read on here from Sam that the DAs were inferior. Though there wasn't much explanation why other than build quality. That is pretty vague considering Konis are supposed to be the best of the best. I wouldn't think that two of their premium shocks would be that different in build quality.
no, koni's are definatly better
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Teching In

the konis are better than what, I thought the 1LE used the Koni DAs
Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N34Stryker
the konis are better than what, I thought the 1LE used the Koni DAs
ummm..no. these cars didn't come stock with adjustable shocks.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

There was at least one year 1LE that came with DA shocks
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Teching In

This is where I got my info from. http://tech.firebirdv6.com/1le.html and http://www.ls1.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7321.html It could be wrong, but what vehicle did GM use these DA shocks for, part #22140240? It says from '96-'99 had 'em
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the 1LE's did come with Koni DA's (at least for 1998 to 2002):

1. http://www.1le.net/docs/tittermary.jpg
2. http://www.1le.net/docs/2001_1le.html

Now, two big questions that should be addressed with concerns to purchasing Koni DA's are,

"What part of compression dampening would one need to adjust?" and "How reliable is the compression adjustment design?"

If I'm not mistaken Sam Strano will chime in soon on this, and from reading previous postings from him he usually doesn't recommend them.

The first question pertained to me quite well since I had Koni DA's, which was compression adjustment didn't benefit me one bit. Of course I bought them used since I wasn't really concerned about warranty issues, but if I had to buy Koni's all over again... it would be SA's.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. Did you have any problems? Also, if both shocks were the same price, or if the DAs were cheaper, what would you get?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased mine used with no warranty expressed nor implied, so if they did fail I would expect to pay a considerable amount to fix them. Not recommended to do what I did.

AFA "problems", the only thing was that as I tested them on an several "AX" courses and some open road courses, it was most optimal on the setting that was like the Koni SA's "static" compression valving setting. Some others around this forum had problems with the compression adjuster failing, which is one unfortunate Koni flaw. Since SA's don't have this device on them, they're much more reliable. Another thing to note is that some of the Koni motorsport line actually refrains from that design.

AFA DA's pricing difference is concerned, DA's are significantly higher in price: http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search
Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

AFA to answer question #3, the lower perch setting on the SA's is not advised to be used with anything other than stock spring height. With that stated in addition to the above, I still recommend SA's over DA's.

Whilst the Koni DA's that are sold on the market are identical to the ones on 1LE's, bear in mind that there are very rare examples of where Koni DA's would prove to be beneficial. Also at one point the 1LE was indeed very difficult to beat with the majority of aftermarket parts available, however once those who competed discovered that certain qualities did improve with specific modifications, then the 1LE option merely became another collector's item (still one that's worthy in my book).
Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the help and info. guys.

Quick Reply: Koni Da vs. Sa