Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????

experiencing high speed vib. changed DS which made it better but it is still there also this is a track car only so I can't drive on street. Looking into adjustable Tq arms to help with rear end angle because that could be what is causing my vib. measured on the rear istself where the Tq arm bolts up it seems on the dial (see pic) that the rear end angle is upwards 3deg. the DS is 0deg and the trans angle is downward 4-5deg. but if I measure on the Tq arm itself the angle is different. Is this causing my Vib.????? SEE PICS

--- <DS ANGLE>----<TQ ARM>---<REAR END ANGLE>-<TRANS ANGLE>
Attached Thumbnails Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-ds-angle.jpg   Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-reartrqarm1.jpg   Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-rear-end-angle.jpg   Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-trans-angle.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Torque Arm suggestion (pinion angle)!

Hello
I notice that you are having pinion angle problems! When going with an adjustable torque arm to level out your drive line which that is what is causing your vibration. When setting your pinion angle you always want the yoke downward not upward. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or call in and talk to our tech department and Jerry will be able to get you going in the right direction.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by formula87
experiencing high speed vib. changed DS which made it better but it is still there also this is a track car only so I can't drive on street. Looking into adjustable Tq arms to help with rear end angle because that could be what is causing my vib. measured on the rear istself where the Tq arm bolts up it seems on the dial (see pic) that the rear end angle is upwards 3deg. the DS is 0deg and the trans angle is downward 4-5deg. but if I measure on the Tq arm itself the angle is different. Is this causing my Vib.????? SEE PICS

--- <DS ANGLE>----<TQ ARM>---<REAR END ANGLE>-<TRANS ANGLE>
Hello, your going to need an adjustable torque arm to reset your pinion angle. Here is a link to a video that we made that shows you the best way to set your pinion angle. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply have seen the vid a little unsure where to mount indicator. as form pics I got diff readings on the Tq and rear end. I know you sell Tq arms as well, was looking at Sphon becuase the Xmem I use, I fabbed up and that could be adding to my prob and their Tq arm comes with a new Xmem as well.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
I notice that you are having pinion angle problems! When going with an adjustable torque arm to level out your drive line which that is what is causing your vibration. When setting your pinion angle you always want the yoke downward not upward. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or call in and talk to our tech department and Jerry will be able to get you going in the right direction.
Thanks
Brad

Thanks See last reply to BMR. I thought that the yoke would need to be up beacuse under accel the rear would rotate down?? Maybe not thanks for the reply that set me straight. Now maybe I can start going back to the track and ringing on this thing
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks See last reply to BMR. I thought that the yoke would need to be up beacuse under accel the rear would rotate down?? Maybe not thanks for the reply that set me straight. Now maybe I can start going back to the track and ringing on this thing

The pinion rotates up towards the bottom of the floor under acceleration. You want 0 degrees pinion angle under full acceleration this way your driveline is not in a bind.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

That explains it, thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

okay installed trq arm and xmem, vib still there. adjusted to specs unsing angle guide. what next?????????????????
Attached Thumbnails Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-p8140140.jpg   Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????-p8140144.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

okay installed trq arm and xmem, vib still there. adjusted to specs unsing angle guide. what next?????????????????

Take a look at this video on the correct way to set your pinion angle. If you followed the procedure according to the video then you have something else causing the vibration. Let me know if thats the way you set your pinion angle and we can go from there.

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Wheels that are out of balance can cause higher speed vibrations. What happens when you swap to a different set of wheels?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Wheels that are out of balance can cause higher speed vibrations. What happens when you swap to a different set of wheels?
I just had them road force balanced so would that rule those out?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Take a look at this video on the correct way to set your pinion angle. If you followed the procedure according to the video then you have something else causing the vibration. Let me know if thats the way you set your pinion angle and we can go from there.

Yes but I did the angle adjustment from the drivers side on the trq arm bracket and DS.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked your actual drive shaft? it maybe warped...i remember when i still had my factory aluminum DS i had some vibration and brought it to a DS shop and they told me it was actually really off so they rebalanced it perfect for $25
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C Murda
have you checked your actual drive shaft? it maybe warped...i remember when i still had my factory aluminum DS i had some vibration and brought it to a DS shop and they told me it was actually really off so they rebalanced it perfect for $25
Welll it made it better when I swapped it in so that could be the culprit.
but the car it came out of the guy said he had no issues.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i saw you yesterday in Highland springs....was it you?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
I think i saw you yesterday in Highland springs....was it you?
nope SS is on the rack at my Dealership just waiting to get thru all of the CASH 4 CLUNKER deals so I can go back there and bleed the clutch.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That green bird isnt yours? I saw one like it with the fender stripes. Forgot what they are called.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
That green bird isnt yours? I saw one like it with the fender stripes. Forgot what they are called.
Yep its mine dad bought it new then gave it to me when the engine gave up drove all thru college then you see what came next. don't know about one with fender stripes.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

You might try just reclocking the driveshaft by taking the U-bolts at the rear off and twisting the driveshaft 180 degrees and reinstalling it. Besure not to over tighten the U-joints as this could cause the needles to bind in the joint causing a vibration....
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
You might try just reclocking the driveshaft by taking the U-bolts at the rear off and twisting the driveshaft 180 degrees and reinstalling it. Besure not to over tighten the U-joints as this could cause the needles to bind in the joint causing a vibration....
I will try rotateing the DS, tried before I think it may be the tranny, bought it out of a wrecked 96 Z28. at speed you and take it out of gear and coast and it still vibrates, but I am talking on track at straight away speeds.

Quick Reply: Will an adjustable Tq arm help vib????