Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride

Well my car still has the original shocks on it after 170,000 miles and I think its time to replace them. (Yeah go ahead and laugh lol) The ride is bumpy and the fronts are now making a hell of a noise, squeaking mostly. I have done alot of searching and I was set on getting the Bilstein HD's but then I read they changed the valving or something. I cannot spend anymore than $350 for shocks. My car is the one in my sig and Im looking for comfort over handling but if I can get both that would be great but comfort and smoothness over bumps is my main concern. This car is just a street car driven maybe once a week and never really raced. No autocrossing and barely any drag racing. So should I still get the bilsteins? I can get a major discount on Monroe sensa tracs at $70 a piece for fronts but I have read too many bad things about them but for what I need they might fit the bill. Thoughts on that? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If $350 is your tip top budget number, this is what I'd do ... get Bilstein front shocks and Tokico blue rears. I don't know if Sam Strano splits shock sets f/r, but if not, the WS6 Store will get you set up.

If you had another $100, Sam could set you up with his Bilstein package, which is the best option for what you're looking for.

Either way, you WILL NOT be disappointed!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I herd about getting those tokicos for the rear becaue they were set up very close to stranos revalved bilsteins I just didnt know if I could get 2 of each. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm partial to Sam, and he may be able to do it. But if not, WS6 Store can. You will be amazed at how comfortable your ride is with this setup - especially if you're riding on 170,000 mile shocks ...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

For the rears is it the Tokico Illunimias I need?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

One thing I've been interested in lately is what the Koni SA's compression dyno's at. I've heard that stock decarbons have higher compression than some aftermarket shocks.

In any case, I'll argue that Koni's provide the best ride comfort, for what I consider comfortable. Just right compression, and a huge rebound range. If you think Koni's compression is ideal, then I can't see how any other shock would be better you in the ride comfort category.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

he can't afford koni by a long shot though.

Strano's bilsteins are be what I would recommend if you can stretch it for the extra 100...is not, he can set you up with the bilstein fronts and tokico rears I am sure.

call up strano.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

I like the kyb gas ajust. I got them on my 94 and they adjust to how you drive. Mine is a weekend driver and thats it i dont drag or autocross. The ride is very plush with kyb gas adjust. I think tax and all i paid $350.78 so they are in you price range
Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the KYBs should be in your price range...give the sponsor Sam Strano a call.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I'll give him a call a little later.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money and wait till you have a bit more money and get you a set of KYB 8 way adjustable shocks.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Yeah I herd about getting those tokicos for the rear becaue they were set up very close to stranos revalved bilsteins I just didnt know if I could get 2 of each. Thanks.

Huh????

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Huh????
i think hes asking about you splitting up 2 rear tokicos and 2 front bilsteins?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The huh was more in reference to what he heard about Tokico's and Bilstein's being so similar....

And all me to be blunt. $435 for a set of Bilstein's that have a better valving in them than what most others sell (the ones I use don't have the more deCarbon like high compression low rebound damping that the standard HD's have) isn't that much money for a set of 4 shocks that are built great, last and do a great job on stock springs for those that are not into real corner carving.

I sell Tokico. If price is the think, then just do a set of Tokico's. If quality and longevity is, then Bilstein Strano Spec. Mixing and matching only serves to leave one end goofy in comparison to the other.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I see the OP's price range now. I would personally take a serious look into the Strano spec Bilstiens with that price range, as long as you're on stock springs. That's what I would do if I was doing a refresh on stock supension.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

$435 is a ton of money to me. I dont have alot of money to spend. These shocks are going to be the single most expensive thing I have on the car by far. And for those of you that spend close to $900 on shocks that is just unbelievable. Everything on my car I have done myself or made myself. Including the purchase price of the car in my sig pic, the complete black paint job and silver stripes (car was red and I painted it), hotcam kit, headers, hood, gears, everything, I would be lucky if I have $5500 in the whole car. Im just a broke *** joker who has to work hard and do everything myself to have anything at all. No offense to anyone. I still might try to save up and get the ones Sam are talking about. I just dont want to spend an extra $100 or $200 for hardly any difference.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I would go ahead and get the kyb shocks cheap money wise and a great performing shock
Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

And for those of you that spend close to $900 on shocks that is just unbelievable.
You think that's bad.. I spent over 8k on my engine and bolt-ons

I just dont want to spend an extra $100 or $200 for hardly any difference.
I'd save up the extra 100 for the better shocks. On the other hand, I'd hate to have you spend 350 bucks or less on a set of shocks that is hardly any difference from what you have now.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

$435 is a ton of money to me. I dont have alot of money to spend. These shocks are going to be the single most expensive thing I have on the car by far. And for those of you that spend close to $900 on shocks that is just unbelievable. Everything on my car I have done myself or made myself. Including the purchase price of the car in my sig pic, the complete black paint job and silver stripes (car was red and I painted it), hotcam kit, headers, hood, gears, everything, I would be lucky if I have $5500 in the whole car. Im just a broke *** joker who has to work hard and do everything myself to have anything at all. No offense to anyone. I still might try to save up and get the ones Sam are talking about. I just dont want to spend an extra $100 or $200 for hardly any difference.

And if there was no difference why do you think I'd recommend the more expensive part? I'm a little insulted that given the time and effort I put forth here that so many just view me as your average used car salesman....

And let's get real. Shocks aren't understood by many, and $435 isn't that much at all of a quality part. Hell a good set of tires will cost you twice that. And speaking of, what did your other mods cost? 1.6 rocker, LT4 hot cam, gears.... and unlike shocks that work all the time, those mods only make the car "better" when you have your foot in it. Shocks work all the time. Any road, speed bump, pothole, braking, turning, etc..... Ride quality, stability are shock issues. Maybe they aren't important to you. If not go buy the cheapest thing you can, or better yet and less costly, stay on what you have.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Sam, to be honest, I probably would stay on these same shocks if it werent for the fact that the fronts just started making a ton of emberrasing noises. I mean I went 170,000 miles without changing them even though I know it needed them. My Hotcam kit and headers, gears, I got used and just inspected them to make sure they were alright. I didnt pay much for them.

Ihave no idea who you are other than you sell quality parts from what Ive read but it seems you come off just a tad harsh sometimes in your posts.
And I believe right now that even monroe shocks would be a great improvement over what I have now. These things are completely shot.
Sam your shocks have a lifetime warranty right? I do want the shocks you speak of but pretty much my wife wont understand lol but I'll get around it. I want to do this once and only once.

Quick Reply: Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride