Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What tools for brake rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tools for brake rebuild?

Basically what the title says, what are the tools i'll need to replace and rebuild my brakes. I wanted to take them off to paint them, then decided I should go ahead and rebuild them too since they are almost 15 years old. Are there any special tools that I will need to take it all apart properly, and set back up again?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean to rebuild the calipers?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

This write-up is for a '98-02 f-body caliper rebuild but I'm sure the directions would be the same for all 4th gen. f-body cars.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Only issue with this writeup is there is no mention of cleaning up the brake cylinder bores. If you take your brake pistons out, you may find that the bore has an area of surface corrosion, a ring of roughness. This is caused by the brake fluid accumulating moisture over time, and causing surface corrosion in the bore. (if you look really close at the pictures in this write up, you will see it) If the bore is just washed out with brake fluid, the roughness will prematurely wear out the new seals when they wipe over this area of the bore. Its a little thing, but while you are in there, do this right, and carefully remove the roughness. On drum brakes, people used to use brake cylinder hones with a drill and brake fluid as a lubricant, and lightly hone the bore. I had an old corvette in the salt belt, and would have to break apart the caliper (2 piece design) and do the four bores to remove the roughness.You might no be able to do that and clear the caliper ears (on the one piece caliper). What you might want to do is lightly run some 600 grit paper in the bore to clean things up. Then wash the hell out of the caliper with both brake clean and brake fluid before you re-assemble. Use something that is lint free when scrubbing the bores.

Personal experience is that by cleaning the bores up, your pistons will move freely in the bores. This is nice because now your brakes will not drag. No drag, better brake life, better brake feel, and minimally better mileage.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jclz28
Only issue with this writeup is there is no mention of cleaning up the brake cylinder bores. If you take your brake pistons out, you may find that the bore has an area of surface corrosion, a ring of roughness. This is caused by the brake fluid accumulating moisture over time, and causing surface corrosion in the bore. (if you look really close at the pictures in this write up, you will see it) If the bore is just washed out with brake fluid, the roughness will prematurely wear out the new seals when they wipe over this area of the bore. Its a little thing, but while you are in there, do this right, and carefully remove the roughness. On drum brakes, people used to use brake cylinder hones with a drill and brake fluid as a lubricant, and lightly hone the bore. I had an old corvette in the salt belt, and would have to break apart the caliper (2 piece design) and do the four bores to remove the roughness.You might no be able to do that and clear the caliper ears (on the one piece caliper). What you might want to do is lightly run some 600 grit paper in the bore to clean things up. Then wash the hell out of the caliper with both brake clean and brake fluid before you re-assemble. Use something that is lint free when scrubbing the bores.

Personal experience is that by cleaning the bores up, your pistons will move freely in the bores. This is nice because now your brakes will not drag. No drag, better brake life, better brake feel, and minimally better mileage.

That is because the aluminum calipers have a speical finish in them called "bearingnized" or how ever it is spelt. You do not rehone aluminum calipers. If you do you mise well throw them in the trash. If it is te cast iron LT1 calipers go for all the honing you would like. Make sure to use a micrometer to measure the bore diameter before and after to make sure you will have a good seal.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Didnt know they had a surface coating. Well, if you have corrosion, the coating failed, so throw them. They are too cheap to worry about.