Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pads: Ferro-Carbon vs ceramic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads: Ferro-Carbon vs ceramic?

Hi,

I've read ceramic brake pads are good, low dust and lightweight.
I've not herd why Ferro-Carbon are better, but most here seem to prefer Hawks HPS pads over their HP pads.

Dust, noise, weight and heat are all considerations, I just wonder why the Ferro-Carbon seem to be the more prefered?

Thanks for the advise.......
Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

They are not any lighter weight... They are more about being cleaner than carbon based pads. I've run both (in fact have a set of each on both my cars right now). I like the HPS better than the Ceramics. Better feel, better initial bite. About the same outright power, and HPS's aren't in any way flithy dirty.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Basically what Sam said, the Carbon based pads will bite harder and dissipate heat better so they are more resistant to brake fade so you will get more consistent stopping power, yes you will get a little dust compared to ceramic, but when it comes to brake pads it is a trade off. You will never get a really high performance pad that generates zero dust.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replys.
That is exactly the type of answers I was looking for, appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't stand brake dust or squealing, and I don't have the time to stay on top of keeping the wheels clean, so it's ceramics for me . You just have to push a little harder, but they still grab hard when you stand on them .
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have HPS's on my Camaro. I have Ceramics on my daily driver Mustang (yeah, yeah shoot me....). My Ceramics are just as dirty, and I get an occassional squeal that I never got on multiple sets of HPS's. Add in a bit better bite and that's why I prefer the HPS's.

I know the squeal is a fluke, but even taking it out the pads aren't any cleaner to speak of (and far from flithy).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

I read that one of the main benefits of ceramic discs are that they are good and 'lightweight' (compaired to normal pads).
Since the Ferro-Carbon weigh about the same (as the HPS) , and are slightly better bite, then it's got to be HPS for me.
It sounds like the ceramics dust a tiny bit less, but I keep my car fairly clean, so it should be no big deal.

Thanks again for the advise.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running my Hawk HPS pads from Sam for a few months now, and I'm still waiting for the massive amounts of brake dust and squealing to appear that the internetz foretold. I'll be sure to update you when they do.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've been running my Hawk HPS pads from Sam for a few months now, and I'm still waiting for the massive amounts of brake dust and squealing to appear that the internetz foretold. I'll be sure to update you when they do.
Obviously everybody has different experience. From mine, I pretty much hated the HPS from day one. The difference in dust level was noticeable right away, and they would squeal like mad when they got hot. Maybe I didn't bed the pads properly or something (it's not worth trying to figure out why mine were so "bad") but the fact is, I've had way better luck with ceramics. I'm not typing just to be part of this thread .

Are ceramics perfect? No. But I prefer the trade-offs they offer.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Obviously everybody has different experience. From mine, I pretty much hated the HPS from day one. The difference in dust level was noticeable right away, and they would squeal like mad when they got hot. Maybe I didn't bed the pads properly or something (it's not worth trying to figure out why mine were so "bad") but the fact is, I've had way better luck with ceramics. I'm not typing just to be part of this thread .

I thought you had used a different type of ceramic brakepad though and not the Hawk version
Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taws6
I read that one of the main benefits of ceramic discs are that they are good and 'lightweight' (compaired to normal pads).
These guys are talking about ceramic pads and a ceramic rotor is a completely different animal. You may have meant pads when you said discs.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

You may have meant pads when you said discs
My bad, you're right, I ment pads, not discs
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Carbon-ceramic brakes like are options on Porsche's, Ferrari's, Bentley's, and come on the new ZR1 are not in any way like ceramic brake pads.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete

You clearly had a different experience than I did - I had read many, many complaints about dusting/sqealing from HPS pads, but I decided to give them a shot based on Sam's recommendation. For me, it turned out to be yet another case of the vocal minority that gets a lot of air time on the internet. People that are happy with products, like me, often don't say a word.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I thought you had used a different type of ceramic brakepad though and not the Hawk version
That's right. They're not Hawk ceramics. They're (brand name?) Satisfied. Not sure who the manufacturer is.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You clearly had a different experience than I did - I had read many, many complaints about dusting/sqealing from HPS pads, but I decided to give them a shot based on Sam's recommendation. For me, it turned out to be yet another case of the vocal minority that gets a lot of air time on the internet. People that are happy with products, like me, often don't say a word.
Quite true . Again, maybe I got a bad set, or didn't break them in properly?! Or maybe it's because I ran slotted rotors? (even though that doesn't seem to have a negative effect on my ceramics).

As long as the HPS pads work for people, that's great. In the meantime, I'm satisfied with my Satisfied's .
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'd doubt it was the slotted rotors since I run the Ate rotors with mine, but at least you found something that did work. It is always good to have options.

Quick Reply: Pads: Ferro-Carbon vs ceramic?