Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing Calipers Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Removing Calipers Question

What size are the bolts to take off all 4 calipers? Also how many bolts per caliper are there?

I have not done my brakes since 2006, but the car is not my DD and since i did the brakes i only put on less than 5K miles

The reason i am asking is b/c i am going to be painting my calipers. One final question is, what do you use to clamp down on the brake line going to the caliper so that it does not leak everywhere?

Thanks for all the help

Here are some really quick pics of a caliper and bracket

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 05-15-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi TorchD!

First off let me mention that I grew up in Lombard and still have family there, so I felt I just had to help you out.

There is actually a really good write up over on install university. The specific thread can be found here

I hope that helps.

And BTW, painting calipers sucks. I highly recommend you get in contact with the Powder Pro. He's a board sponsor and is also located in the Chicago Area. He powder coated my calipers (after I painted them and all the paint chipped off in less than a year) and they look great. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Hi TorchD!

First off let me mention that I grew up in Lombard and still have family there, so I felt I just had to help you out.

There is actually a really good write up over on install university. The specific thread can be found here

I hope that helps.

And BTW, painting calipers sucks. I highly recommend you get in contact with the Powder Pro. He's a board sponsor and is also located in the Chicago Area. He powder coated my calipers (after I painted them and all the paint chipped off in less than a year) and they look great. I couldn't be happier.
Hey Bud thanks for the response. I live in Lombard (St. Charles and 53) keep my car at my moms house in Westchester

Thanks for the write up, i will look at that for sure. And i have talked to Sean plenty of times. I jsut do not have the money for him

Thanks for all your help

-Jonas
Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Jonas,

Run over to Autozone and grab yourself a box of copper crush washers...run 1a 3/8 bolt through the washer & brake line end...cinch it down with a nut and you should be good to go. I'm personally not a big fan of "pinching" the line.

There are 4 bolts per caliper...you'll need a 16mm wrench to keep the nuts from spinning when you unbolt the calipers. I don't recall exact sizes for the caliper bolts, but I do know the fronts and rears are 2 different sizes.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73
Jonas,

Run over to Autozone and grab yourself a box of copper crush washers...run 1a 3/8 bolt through the washer & brake line end...cinch it down with a nut and you should be good to go. I'm personally not a big fan of "pinching" the line.

There are 4 bolts per caliper...you'll need a 16mm wrench to keep the nuts from spinning when you unbolt the calipers. I don't recall exact sizes for the caliper bolts, but I do know the fronts and rears are 2 different sizes.
Mike,

Are the copper crush washers for when i put the brake line back onto the caliper? If so do i need 8 of them? Also what size or do i have to ask and they can look it up for me?

Where can i get the bolt from? I too am not big on crimping the line myself...
Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

After you paint them, i would hit them with a couple coats of clear. I didnt think about doing that when i 1st did mine. Mine are looking crappy now, buts its been since about last december when i painted them. So not to bad, but the clear coat should help the paint last alot longer. My cars a dd so your's will last alot longer then mine have.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Badguy7
After you paint them, i would hit them with a couple coats of clear. I didnt think about doing that when i 1st did mine. Mine are looking crappy now, buts its been since about last december when i painted them. So not to bad, but the clear coat should help the paint last alot longer. My cars a dd so your's will last alot longer then mine have.
Oh yeah i was going to clear them for sure. I have a Trans Am decal to add on it, so i will clear the decal on....

Right mine not being a DD, and i drive it 1500 miles a year better last a LONG time
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Mike,

Are the copper crush washers for when i put the brake line back onto the caliper? If so do i need 8 of them? Also what size or do i have to ask and they can look it up for me?

Where can i get the bolt from? I too am not big on crimping the line myself...
Jonas,

There will be 2 copper washers per caliper....sometimes they stick to the caliper side, sometimes to the line side. Those you can resuse without issue.

In the help section they sell a box of assorted copper washers....just put one on each side of the line you are capping, Just grab 4 3/8 bolts and nuts from ACE or Home Depot. Tighten them up until they crush up a little to seal the line.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonas,

There will be 2 copper washers per caliper....sometimes they stick to the caliper side, sometimes to the line side. Those you can resuse without issue.

In the help section they sell a box of assorted copper washers....just put one on each side of the line you are capping, Just grab 4 3/8 bolts and nuts from ACE or Home Depot. Tighten them up until they crush up a little to seal the line.
so you know it is a 15mm that takes them off.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, the copper crush washers are a 1 time use item. Everytime you remove the brake line you need new washers to seal it back up.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jonas,

Ahh thanks Mike, now i get what you are saying...

Although, i have never seen a help section with a box at autozone Do you by chance remember the size of the copper washer to make the seal?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

FYI, the copper crush washers are a 1 time use item. Everytime you remove the brake line you need new washers to seal it back up.
Maybe it's the cheap guy in me, I always reuse them.....but you're right, for what they really cost, they should just be replaced.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Ahh thanks Mike, now i get what you are saying...

Although, i have never seen a help section with a box at autozone Do you by chance remember the size of the copper washer to make the seal?
Right off the top of my head, I don't remember....they come in a mixed bunch, aka the one size fits all box
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe it's the cheap guy in me, I always reuse them.....but you're right, for what they really cost, they should just be replaced.

Right off the top of my head, I don't remember....they come in a mixed bunch, aka the one size fits all box
I jsut talked to my buddy... it is a 3/8" washer for the brake lines
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

these copper washers. first advanced should have them, yes?

second are these the washers that go around the bolt that hold the brake line to the caliper?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
these copper washers. first advanced should have them, yes?

second are these the washers that go around the bolt that hold the brake line to the caliper?
Yes, and these are the washers that go on both sides of caliper when sticking the bolt thru..
Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Advanced, Autozone and many other national chains have them (although the NAPA by me doesn't have the right size, weird). From the "Help" brand at autozone I use the two smallest diameter washers (4 small diameter washers in each box) and I put the thin one under the head of the bolt and the thick one between the caliper and the brake line.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

how many copper crush washers are ther per caliper? Is total of 2? 1 washer on each side of the hole?

And SOB, i put a 3/8"x1" bolt thru square that goes onto the caliper. And it is leaking a little bit. So when my wife gets home i have to go back to my moms house and make it stop leaking. I think i forgot to put a washer on one of the sides.

Is it bad if the brake fluids leaks out?

But i got all calipers off and i am going to start to prep them and get them ready for paint
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it's bad. I dunno how bad it is, but don't let your brake fluid run out. You're going to have to bleed them anyway but if the fluid runs out, it's a pain in the *** to do.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

i went back and got washers and put them under there. so no more dripping. And if it does drip it is sooooo little.

But i jsut got hand sanding EVERYTHING calipers and brackets... I washed them everyhting in simplegreen with water dried them sanded again and sprayed everyhting down with brake cleaner.

Now it is time for primer, then color. But man it got chilly out and i think i am going to have to take a lamp and put it outside with me b/c i can not see a damn thing
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you're going to put the decal under the clear? That what I did about two years ago and they still looks great. I just wash what I can of my calipers when I wash my wheels.

What color are you painting them?

Quick Reply: Removing Calipers Question