Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
will any C6 Z06 wheel work with this setup, without running wheel spacers?

Thanks for your hard work on this, makes a great value. (I wonder if they would fit on the GTO, the caliper to rim spoke distance is huge (2" approx w/ stock 18" rims) but I am sure the caliper/hat offset is totally incorrect.

Ryan
Yes to your first question. Any rim that clears the factory 6 piston caliper will also clear this CTS-V one.

That's a good question about the GTO, but I never researched them. It certaintly may work with the proper caliper bracket.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iyyob
Hey jason u need any certain pics or angles I got a new phone and I'll try out the camera
I think people want to see the brake lines and the washers that space the caliper.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I heard about the venting direction design flaw of the C6 z06 rotors.. not sure how true it is or not.

I mean if the brakes can handle what kind of racing you are doing, then I would think getting a bigger brake kit probably isn't going to make much of a difference. Bigger brakes can add unsprung weight. You'd probably have to buy some really expensive 19s if you wanted to keep the weight down. Most people will probably put a heavy C6 replica wheel on the car which will probably make you slower.

That being said, I'm pretty sure most people just want the kit for looks anyway. JasonWW is the ls1 bling king around here. While I don't always agree with using his mods for performance reasons, I think most of his stuff revolves around looks anyways which I'm pretty sure is the intent.

I don't trust GM too well with their performance testing and engineering
To say it's a "flaw" may not be accurate. Also keep in mind that the GM rotors are not the only choice. Blanks may be available from someone as well as proper directional vents. I just haven't looked around for them. update - I've added info on rotors from DBA. If any other companies are offering affordable rotors, please let me know.

Keep in mind that I'm off doing other mods now and never got around to buying all these brake parts. Plus I may also be swapping to a different aluminum spindle as well. I'm not a racer, either. I just tend to drive hard on the street. My thing is high speed runs. I wanted these brakes to both fill in the hole created by my big rims as well as for hauling me down from middle triple digit speeds. My goal is 200 mph, but I'm a ways off from that. It's either monster brakes or a parachute.

I'm the bling king? Not even close. If folks are just wanting big rotors then you can use a 13" or maybe 13.5" with 2 piston vette calipers under your 17" rim. With an 18" rim you can run this 14" rotor with the 2 piston vette calipers. Kits are already out there. It's bolt on.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-16-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean if the brakes can handle what kind of racing you are doing, then I would think getting a bigger brake kit probably isn't going to make much of a difference. Bigger brakes can add unsprung weight. You'd probably have to buy some really expensive 19s if you wanted to keep the weight down. Most people will probably put a heavy C6 replica wheel on the car which will probably make you slower.
I guess I should of been more specific, but thanks....I neglected to point this obvious fact.

Look not trying to discourage anyone from attempting this mod...but please examine it well when considering it for racing reasons. And nothing against the calipers..good calipers.

Its the rotors I was concerned about...I'm more than sure it's not going to matter on the street, but after a few laps....let us know how it went.

I dont think vents is going to help if it's an issue with the rotors design.

Again! this is a very attractive setup. BREMBOS!

I guess with the right forged wheels, (no spacers) and some better rotors, damn now your talking!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
but please examine it well when considering it for racing reasons
Exactly. Nothing wrong with expression an opinion on certain details that we might disagree with.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Its the rotors I was concerned about...I'm more than sure it's not going to matter on the street, but after a few laps....let us know how it went.

I dont think vents is going to help if it's an issue with the rotors design.

I guess with the right forged wheels, (no spacers) and some better rotors, damn now your talking!!!!!!
Just check vette forums. There have been guys lapping with these rotors (and the stock 6 piston calipers) for several years now and the only complaints I ever heard concerned the 6 piston calipers. The rotors are working fine. If your still worried about the rotors you can go with aftermarket ones.

Cool air vents help a lot. The forward motion of the car way more than overcomes the air flow that naturally happens inside the rotors vanes. This is obvious to me. Just keep in mind all Z06's have forced air cooling. I bet the cooling vents are the reason these rotors work so well on the track.

If your going to run your F-body hard on a race track then there is a natural progression to brake upgrades.
Stock and swap to better pads.
Change to fresh and better brake fluid.
Add cool air vents.
Swap to 13" rotor.
Maybe swap to more aggresive pads.
If that's still not giving you the braking you want, then you probably need to step up to a Big Brake Kit. If you add the setup in this thread then you should already have cooling vents. I'm guessing that due to the affordable nature of this setup that some folks are skipping several steps. Then they think they can go out to a race track and beat the crap out of them. Guess what. If your fluid is old and you don't have cooling vents then your probably going to boil the fluid and get fade or maybe crack your rotors and then your going to point your finger at me or GM. It's not my fault or GM's either.

So if you want a track setup, do your research, change your fluid, add vents, use locktite on your caliper bolts, monitor your pad wear, check your rotor temps, etc... Don't just bolt this setup on and throw caution to the wind.

Why are folks bashing spacers/adapters? There's nothing wrong with using them. They're not even that expensive. Here's a trick to make your tires look more tucked in, add about 1* of negative camber. It moves the top of the tire in which makes it look more "tucked" plus it will improve your front grip.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well i just seen this post last night. and now today i went to the gm parts department at a dealership and i just about slapped this guy in the face. i asked him about the rotors and calibers and he kept tellin me he needed a vin number from a 2006 z06 to tell me which rotors they were and he needed the vin from a cts-v to tell me which brakes i would need. **** man why is there idiots like this working at auto part stores that actually have no knowledge about parts. i mean why do you need to know a damn vin mumber. i told him its just stock gm parts from the damn cars. but long story short i got no where with this idiot. so jason or anyone that has done this mod please give me as much info as possible so i can get around this clown. thanks alot.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS DNA
I wish this setup would fit 17 inch wheels. I dont feel like upgrading my rims. too much money. and I will need tires too.
i am hoping to have this figured out real soon. but you would have to send me your splindles so i could machine them. but i will get it figured out.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
you would have to send me your splindles so i could machine them.
That's one way to do it!

So you want a 4 piston setup on a 13" rim, but don't have the money for a ready made BBK? That's what the "CTS-V Something Different" thread was about. Every solution we found was a big jump in price.

The only thing I can think of is to find a pair of OEM calipers that are radial mount or else have much shorter mounting lugs. Then you fabricate your own bracket.

Keep in mind that you still may have to space your rim out to clear the spokes.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

In the other thread I stated how much I paid and where to get every piece needed even for the lt1s, except the flat washers.I didn't mention them because there's a huge disscussion about which are best. With that said you will also need washers of ur choice total of 8
Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan

I don't trust GM too well with their performance testing and engineering
Why not? Look at the stopping distance of the 2004 CTS-V compared to a 2004 BMW M3. They stop in the same distance from 60 even though the M3 weighs 400 lbs more. I would say that GM did some pretty damn good performance engineering.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I was just planning on running the 13 inch rotors instead of the 14s. I am mostly worried about where the caliper mounts because the fronts on my car need an adapter because they are 4th gen spec wheels. The rotors should fit no problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to check where the caliper mounts?
Whoa, wait a minute! I just now realized your car is a 3rd gen.
Let's take a look at EB Millers site since he has a lot available for them. Here you go:

13" Wilwood FSL, '82-92 F Body
ARP studs installed
Wilwood Forged Billet Superlite calipers
Wilwood BP-10 "Smart" pads
Fits stock 16" Iroc, Z28, and Formula wheels without issue Item #13WW3G
$1000

That's a sweet looking setup, but I don't know anything about those calipers. You'll need to contact Ed and see if they will work for you. Go to flynbye dot com. I hope that helps.

(Since this post is way off topic it will be deleted soon, so get the info copied, OK)

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-16-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are some really nice caliper pics on this ebay page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-07...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Part Numbers might be helpful, if this is going to be a sticky .
What I decided to do is provide some VIN numbers from both model vehicles so that you can get up to date part numbers and prices. I think that is the best option.

Do you guys agree?

I've made a lot of changes to the first 3 posts. Tell me if it makes sense, looks good and covers the topics that it needs to.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-16-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

jason,
next step is zr1 caliper on f-body. hope to have this in a month or two.

jason can you find ceramic rotors?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
jason,
next step is zr1 caliper on f-body. hope to have this in a month or two.

jason can you find ceramic rotors?
This thread is all about bang for the buck.

We'll have to talk about those pricier parts in a different thread.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

awsome man , you are a true hot rodder bro ive been on this site for years and you have done lots for the fbody community bro good job again man
Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by davidadavila
awsome man , you are a true hot rodder bro ive been on this site for years and you have done lots for the fbody community bro good job again man
It was a group effort. All the folks from the older and longer threads provided a lot of info as well as EB Miller who did the test fitting.

I think I'm about ready to delete all but the first 3 posts and then close it down. Did I leave anything out?

I'll still update the 3 posts. For those that add these brakes I'll post pictures of your car and add them with Marine02SS and Iyyob's cars.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice and thanks for getting this info together. If I decide to move away from the straight line racing scene I'll look into this.

On a side note I have an '03 Silverado SS that I'm putting 14" power slot rotors on in a few weeks with the stock calipers with power slots adapter brackets. Would you happen to know if these CTS-V calipers would bolt to my spindles? I'd like to at least move to a better caliper if I could.

On the po-boy budget.....
Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Good stuff jason.looks very well put together.what a stickie should be. I went to take a rim off to take pics for this and couldn't find my damn key for my lugs ..... I think its @ a shop 100+miles away ....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info