Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lower car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower car

whats the best way to lower a f-body with out buying springs and or cutting the springs.
looking to get like a half inch drop all around
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

!! .. I think it can be done in dreams !! .. or with a person weight about 400 pounds in the front and another one weight 279 pounds in the rear !! ..

Any way I'm using Eibach Pro-kit 1.2" front 1.2" from Byunspeed for 209$ only
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...products_id=92

Or You can use the heating mod ! which will make too many problems while driving your car daily !

Regards,

Last edited by Cold Zero; 05-19-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

heater hose mod?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy koni adjustable shocks and and do the heater hose /lower perch.That's stupid to say that you have problems with the heater hose mods.I have done it to my t/a and have driven it 30 thousand miles with no problems.My buddie did the same thing and also had great results.I learned about the hose mod from Sam Strano and he is the man for suspension mods.That's bullshit to say you have problems with the hose mod.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the hose mod
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

i can get a set of Eibach Sportline Spring Set for 85 bucks. that were used for 14000 miles and taken off...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sz28aro
looking to get like a half inch drop all around and i can get a set of Eibach Sportline Spring Set for 85 bucks. that were used for 14000 miles and taken off...
14k miles..ask yourself the question why were they removed then do
Buy koni adjustable shocks and and do the heater hose /lower perch.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Your springs + oxy-acetyne welder + car on level surface + a good eyeball = custom ride height. It works. Its free.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1zfast
Your springs + oxy-acetyne welder + car on level surface + a good eyeball = custom ride height. It works. Its free.
This idea is NOT endorsed by LS1tech.

Eibach Sportlines tend to be one of the least desirable springs for these cars. If I may be blunt. I know the urge to mod these cars can be irresistible at a minimum, but most, if not always, it is best to save up some money and do it right the first time. Just my $0.02
Old 05-19-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transwiz
Buy koni adjustable shocks and and do the heater hose /lower perch.That's stupid to say that you have problems with the heater hose mods.I have done it to my t/a and have driven it 30 thousand miles with no problems.My buddie did the same thing and also had great results.I learned about the hose mod from Sam Strano and he is the man for suspension mods.That's bullshit to say you have problems with the hose mod.

!!! ..
BMR , KONI , Eibach .... etc have engineers doing their tests for months to produce springs that can handle our cars correctly for performance , comfortable ride , road race or drag race ..

After all of that , you come with your heater and doing it without any base !! and saying about the others stupid !! .. really I'm surprise to see some ideas here like that !!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy above is right about eibach being junk.They are the least desireable of the springs you can buy.Strano are the best lowering springs.My point was to say that the heater hose mod koni thing came from Strano and he is the suspension expert to say the least.He knows these cars suspension better than anyone.You will get different opinions if you ask enough people.Do it right and do it once.You get what you pay for.So do you think that Strano doesn't know his stuff ??Everyone I have ever talked to that has done the mod has had good results.

Last edited by transwiz; 05-19-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i can get a set of Eibach Sportline Spring Set for 85 bucks. that were used for 14000 miles and taken off...
You could also pay a guy on the street to punch you square in the kidneys and come out with the same result and save some money.
But seriously the sportlines are arguably the worst springs for our cars. They leave you literally riding the bump stops in the rears due to spring sag, and don't have near enough spring rate for the drop they provide (which means you will be hitting the bumps stops more often and harder than you should be).

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
!!! ..
BMR , KONI , Eibach .... etc have engineers doing their tests for months to produce springs that can handle our cars correctly for performance , comfortable ride , road race or drag race ..

After all of that , you come with your heater and doing it without any base !! and saying about the others stupid !! .. really I'm surprise to see some ideas here like that !!
Koni doesn't make springs for our cars, I can't speak for the "testing" BMR has done, but I can confidently say that there is no way Eibach track tested their sportlines successfully. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to find out that they let someone with no Fbody experience develop those springs, and that there was no real world testing done.
When they make the Prokit (which is advertised to be a higher ride height) this close to the bumpstops:

then decide to make a spring that is lower than that, it should be a red flag for a mistake, especially considering the spring rates are less than the prokit.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing wrong with the heater hose mod. All it does is basically use a smaller isolator than stock. Also the stock spring rates aren't terrible if matched with good shocks like Bils or Koni. The Koni's front shocks on the lower perch and the hose mod in the rear lowers about .5" all around. Also koni shocks on stock springs is better than many other shocks with aftermarket springs for handling perposes. Also, as has been said, that eibach set is not even close to the best option for springs... in fact it's aweful.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Major_Lee_Slow;11622682]This idea is NOT endorsed by LS1tech.

Haha.... yea I didnt think it would be. I am not even certain that I am endorsing it. It is just one of many options and the op did want options excluding cutting and buying springs.

I did it when I was a broke *** and first bought the car... obviously didnt do anything for the handling but it didnt hurt it either. Gave me the look I wanted. Buying lowering springs would obviously be the ideal way to go about it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Easy--let some air out of your tires...simple.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

well then ill just have to save up some cash and do i right... the only reason i posted up about those springs cause they are cheap and the guy is like 50 years old and cant deal with the car that low, the reason for him to sale...

and how bad is it really to just heat them up and let gravity do the work??? a few guys from my work did it to there cars and they say they havent had any problems with doing it..
Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

heating springs is a big no-no..
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

and how bad is it really to just heat them up and let gravity do the work??? a few guys from my work did it to there cars and they say they havent had any problems with doing it..
I did it and drove the car for 2 years with it. Never had any problems. Ride was stiffer than stock. Thats it. Obviously not the ideal way to do things.... flame on!!

I had to add that although I didnt have any problems... I know others who did. Whether they went overboard or I was just lucky (or good... HA) who knows....

Last edited by ls1zfast; 05-20-2009 at 08:39 AM.