Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake gurus............ceramic or OEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Brake gurus............ceramic or OEM

My stepfather has a 2006 Dodge Hemi Pick-up.

He wants to buy ceramic Wagner pads for the front brakes. $60.00

I told him to stick with the OEM pads, $102 at the dealership, and know how they will perform for him. These brakes that we are removing are the original brake pads, 42,000 miles and 2 1/2 years.

Will these Wagner ceramics last that long?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wagner Thermo Quites? They are decent but they won't last as long. Wagner applys friction material to both sides of the pad so that it won't squeak if it moves around in the caliper, that's why they are so quite. Problem is that it takes away space for the buisness side of the pad so they are thinner on the wear surface. Compair them at the counter and you'll see it with your own eyes. Wagner TQ are great for us professional techs and parts houses because they are very forgiving of rotor sufaces and don't get combacks and complaints from customers. Plus they wear out sooner, LOL.

If he wants a better pad there are other options but it depends on what is most important for him. Best all around is NAPA Adaptive One. Best life would be severe duty. Cleanest wheels would be a ceramic. Trouble free and silent would be Wagner Thermo Quite. Best stopping power at the parts house would be Performance Friction Carbon Metallic. OEM's are always a decent though expensive choice, especially Mopar as they don't have idependent wholesalers like Motorcraft and Delco.

Vernon
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool, thanks, I'll let him know.