Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adj tq arm or subframe connectors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adj tq arm or subframe connectors???

Im looking to to get sum better track times out of my dd m6 z28 the 2.4 60ft aint cutting it, right now the suspension is stock. I got lca and lca relocation brackets im wonder should i get an adj tq arm or sub frame connectors first???? The car ran 3.20@115 with a 2.4 60ft it was on et streets at 15psi but woodnt hook????
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few ideas for you!

Hello
Those two products would be a really good start! The SFC would keep the chassis solid. And the torque arm either a factory or tunnel mounted would be good due to allowing you to set your pinion angle! Another suggestion would be a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets they will eliminate wheel hope and increase your traction performance. Below are a few links to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=130

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=129

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=125

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by paulbigworm
Im looking to to get sum better track times out of my dd m6 z28 the 2.4 60ft aint cutting it, right now the suspension is stock. I got lca and lca relocation brackets im wonder should i get an adj tq arm or sub frame connectors first???? The car ran 3.20@115 with a 2.4 60ft it was on et streets at 15psi but woodnt hook????

Once you get your relocation brackets and lca's on your 60' is going to drop. If your only going to pick one to go with the torque arm is going to the better first investment. There is alot of flexing in a stock torque arm and replacing it with our tubular adjustable arm will eliminate any flexing and help get the most out of your suspensiopn. Here is a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
Attached Thumbnails Adj tq arm or subframe connectors???-ta001-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

everything above is correct. BUT, get SFC. they won't necessarily do more than the others for your 60ft, but the car stiffens up dramatically...they will keep your interior from literally coming apart with a lot of launches. and because your car does less twisting...more power is getting to your wheels.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Launching!

you will also delete the risk of the little crumple points in the rear quarter pannel with the SFCs. That's what I'm getting.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

SFC's don't help the launch. And they don't stop the ripples (they don't connect anywhere near the quarter panels). They might help reduce them a touch if your car can leave hard and really twists the body but that seems not to be the case here.

That said, SFC's are not bad and do make the car stiffer which can help the suspension work better. I think they are a good thing for a drag car, but not the primary thing.

I'd start with 3 things. LCA relocation brackets. LCA's, and a Torque Arm. The brackets will allow you to drop the rear of the arm lower which helps bite on launch. Stronger LCA's minimize deflection and help with axle hop. The TA is similar as a stonger one doesn't flex as much and plants the axle better.

Now there are different types of LCA's and TA's. If you opt for a tunnel-mount TA (not my favorite), I feel that move pretty much requires 3-point SFC's. The TA connects to the tunnel mount which is mostly just sheet metal and the 3-point SFC's take that load and dispurse it down the connector instead of into the floorpan.

I prefer a full length TA and if you want/need the TA mount off the transmission, use it in conjunction with a TA relocation bracket. That also has the side benefit of allowing you to raise the nose of the TA up and that further helps the bite.

I sell UMI parts, and Strano Performance even has some pre-packaged kits Traction Packs or "TP" kits that put various levels of these parts together at a discount.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I'll do my best to answer anything you have, and tell you how/why I'm recommending certain parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
SFC's don't help the launch. And they don't stop the ripples (they don't connect anywhere near the quarter panels). They might help reduce them a touch if your car can leave hard and really twists the body but that seems not to be the case here.

That said, SFC's are not bad and do make the car stiffer which can help the suspension work better. I think they are a good thing for a drag car, but not the primary thing.

I'd start with 3 things. LCA relocation brackets. LCA's, and a Torque Arm. The brackets will allow you to drop the rear of the arm lower which helps bite on launch. Stronger LCA's minimize deflection and help with axle hop. The TA is similar as a stonger one doesn't flex as much and plants the axle better.

Now there are different types of LCA's and TA's. If you opt for a tunnel-mount TA (not my favorite), I feel that move pretty much requires 3-point SFC's. The TA connects to the tunnel mount which is mostly just sheet metal and the 3-point SFC's take that load and dispurse it down the connector instead of into the floorpan.

I prefer a full length TA and if you want/need the TA mount off the transmission, use it in conjunction with a TA relocation bracket. That also has the side benefit of allowing you to raise the nose of the TA up and that further helps the bite.

I sell UMI parts, and Strano Performance even has some pre-packaged kits Traction Packs or "TP" kits that put various levels of these parts together at a discount.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I'll do my best to answer anything you have, and tell you how/why I'm recommending certain parts.
while they don't technically help the act of launching....my 60ft times got better after SFC's. it made sense to me.....the power that isn't wasted turning anything but the driveline will get the car out of it's sit quicker. might not be as big a difference as other suspension parts....but it was an ingredient nonetheless.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wont a subframe make it launch straighter as well? Staying in the groove and eliminating the need of the driver to steer after launch.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Wont a subframe make it launch straighter as well? Staying in the groove and eliminating the need of the driver to steer after launch.
Yes and NO! They will help with the weight transfer to the rear end. And eliminate chassis flex. But as far as the track goes just depends on how you have your suspension set-up! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help.
Brad
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I did say that a slight benefit can be seen if the car can leave hard and has some twist from that traction.

I was trying to say that SFC's are chassis parts, not suspension parts. The stiffer the chassis the better the suspension tends to work. But that only applies if the chassis is actually not stiff enough that you induce flex upon the launch.

Cars are a huge interaction between components. Change one of those components, and you can see a differences. Here the suspension components are more of the player than the chassis components. Again, if we are talking a car that leaves hard---the chassis matters more than a car that can't run a 2.0 to save itself.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Adj tq arm or subframe connectors???