Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower it or stock ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lower it or stock ride height?

Background: I bought my '95 in Aug '95 with 30 miles on it. Since then I've driven the snot out of it, and it's time for a makeover.

She's currently being repainted, and with any luck I'll pick her up today. Pictures will be forthcoming. Still red, but with black CETA mod, black nostrils on the Motion Performance WS6-style hood, black bird & checkered stripes on the hood, and the chunky TransAm taken off the sides. She's got a new top, and I'm trying to decide which aftermarket seats to use.

She's wearing 18x10 TTII with 275/35 front and 295/35 rear BFGs.

I'm waffling on the stance. I'd like to drop her 1.5-2" but I am a little wary of speedbumps. Am I going to have big problems with clearance if I drop her?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could do Koni SA's on the lower perch up front with the stock springs, and do the Hose mod in the rear with the factory springs also with some SA's. That would be good for 3/4" drop all around. If that causes any clearance problems you can easily go back to stock height. On the other hand, if you find you feel you can still go lower without any clearance concerns you can get some Strano, Hotchkis, or H&R lowering springs.

As far as seats, if you haven't already looked at Corbeau, IMO they're worth a look.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-21-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you only lower it an inch or so you won't have many problems. the problems arise when you get to 1 3/4 and beyond. I have a pro kit....and didn't even have to roll my fenders to fit 315's in the back. have jet hot LT's with duals and have 4 1/2 inches of clearance at lowest point.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Depending in your goal , if you want performance with stock suspension and chaisses .. keep it with stock springs ..

If you want to lower it and keep performance up take the suspension required to help your 60" .. ( contol arms - Relocation Brackets .. ) UMI for sure

If you want just lower ( for look ) .. I suggest Eibach Pro-kit 1.2"
Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I want the look, but mostly to improve performance. Not 60' times so much as handling. I currently work every weekend, so track days are not an option. But in CO you're never far from a road that just begs you to exercise the suspension...
Sounds like 1.5" should be ok. I already rolled the rear fenders, so that ought not be a problem. I mostly worry about ripping something off the bottom going over a speedbump.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, leave it stock height! Lowered cars look like ****!

J/k! Lower that ***** . You'll like your car so much more.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
I want the look, but mostly to improve performance. Not 60' times so much as handling. I currently work every weekend, so track days are not an option. But in CO you're never far from a road that just begs you to exercise the suspension...
Sounds like 1.5" should be ok. I already rolled the rear fenders, so that ought not be a problem. I mostly worry about ripping something off the bottom going over a speedbump.
If you are more concerned about the handling than you are the look then replace what makes the handling so bad (loose, disconnected, unpredictable, floaty, unstable, however you want to describe it)in the first place: the stock shocks.
While getting lowering springs on stock shocks will improve your grip, its only going to make the car more floaty and unstable when being pushed because those shocks cannot control the springs. With a good set of shocks you wont believe you are driving the same car.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I did not mention many things that have been changed, but with 160K on the clock, you can bet I don't have the OEM shocks. I have used Koni shocks for years.