Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Brakes Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes Squeaking

I've got a rotational squeaking from both of my rear brakes only when they're NOT applied.Sounds like birds chirping.The squeaking goes away as soon as the brakes are applied.

I had my mechanic replace the rear rotors and the pads (carquest blank rotors,carquest ceramic pads) and it's still squeaking.Took it back to him and he put some no squeak grease behind the pads.Worked at first,but the next day the squeaking is back,just as bad as before.

I'm not experiencing driveability issues as far as bent axles go (no pulsating or warpage feeling) ,and he doubts that it's my wheel bearings.The pads seem to be wearing evenly.

Called him again and he says it's possibly the caliper pins making the noise or play in the C-clips in the rear end...? something of that nature.He is starting to run me around in circles, just wanted to see what you guys think my next best option is,cause I think he is playing the guessing and throw new parts at it game with me...and the squeaking is driving me nucking futs!!!

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine have squeaked for a long time. With different pads too. Annoying but harmless.

FWIW I've used this and it helped a lot.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know lots of peeps with this problem and most say its due to having abs for some reason its like they get applied whenever and cause the squeak..then they removed abs completely and no issues, others say its the e brake cable that was either never used and finally they used it and now the caliper sticks when it wants.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

The squeaking goes away when the brakes (calipers) are applied so I don't think it's ABS related.My mechanic said that excessive axle end play can be causing it,but I don't know.He wants to keep it for a day to pinpoint it.

Does anyone here have any ideas on what else could be causing this? I'd rather not have to pay him to tear into my rear end,at that point I think I'm probably just going to open my cutout and try to forget about it
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is the brake hardware in the rear caliper. You know those little clips that hold the pads in? It is those trust me. What you will have to do is get a rear brake hardware kit. That is what they are called at the part stores. Only get GM replacements or the ones that napa have. They are the only ones that don't squeak like that. All the others I tried squeak. The tabs are rubbing the rotor they are to wide.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Squeaking