Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What High End" Coilovers options do we have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What High End" Coilovers options do we have?

Coming back from my loooong hiatus after dealing with the Import side with my 3000GT VR4, I know brands like JIC, Aragosta, Ohlins, Buddy Club, Pit Road M and KW so needless to say, I have lost touch with what is the "good ****" for Trans Am's, lol...

As for my preference of racing, I am more into AutoX / Road Racing more so, than going in a strait line over and over and over and over, lol...in other words; I like a tight "Nuerburgring" type suspension.

I know that KW makes the KW-Variant 3 for around $2300 for the 98 Camaro SS, will they fit a 98 Trans Am?

Is anyone running "High End" coilovers like KW's? What is considered here the "BEST" coilover for the 4th gen Trans Am?

Thanks guys!

DM
Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

the KW-Variant 3 will fit all 4th-Gen, however could you provide better details of what you're really looking to do with the vehicle?

Believe it or not, no matter how much one spends on a coil-over combo, there isn't much range of adjustibility that's really optimal for performance.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

How about LG motorsport's g2 f body coil over kit or Penske shock racing kits
both have a good racing pedigree.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey: How about LG motorsport's g2 f body coil over kit or Penske shock racing kits
both have a good racing pedigree...
Get this... I had the G2 Custom coil-overs (which I eventually modified to a single rebound-only adjustible) as well as Penskes, then onto Koni motorsports 3012 shocks. My previous Koni DA's w/ GW coil-over sleeves allowed me to get much faster lap times than the more expensive ones.

No doubt they're well made shocks to withstand lots of rigors a road-course may throw at them, however their valving sucks right out of the box. Contrary to what many would argue around here, poor or incorrect damper valving will screw up one's performance. As a matter of fact, wait until Sam Strano chimes in about what he too witnessed about some competitors using a set of $5000 shocks, yet were beat by off the shelve Koni SA's. I've dealt with this phenomena on a vast variety of car makes and models.

Also, there's was really less than 1" of usable height adjustment allowable for any of the adjustible spring perches before suspension geometry issues would arise. Corner weights and cross-weights are also things that have to be dealt with with concerns to using coil-overs. I've seen so many coil-over cars screwed up miserably because all their owners were concerned with was dropping height. To add to that as well, I've seen lots of 4-way moton's and 99 setting infinitely variable Ohlins screwed up, only to have them fixed and yielding no better performance than let's say an off-the-shelve Koni.

Again, coil-overs have their place, but in large they're highly overrated. My purpose of this isn't to bandwagon Koni or stifle anyone from seeking a fancy but predominantly useless setup, but if one is to seek performance, they should bear in mind that in the end, it's overall "quality" more so than "quantity."
Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you know what valving you want Unbalanced Engineering is another option.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Coming back from my loooong hiatus after dealing with the Import side with my 3000GT VR4, I know brands like JIC, Aragosta, Ohlins, Buddy Club, Pit Road M and KW so needless to say, I have lost touch with what is the "good ****" for Trans Am's, lol...

As for my preference of racing, I am more into AutoX / Road Racing more so, than going in a strait line over and over and over and over, lol...in other words; I like a tight "Nuerburgring" type suspension.

I know that KW makes the KW-Variant 3 for around $2300 for the 98 Camaro SS, will they fit a 98 Trans Am?

Is anyone running "High End" coilovers like KW's? What is considered here the "BEST" coilover for the 4th gen Trans Am?

Thanks guys!

DM
Yeah cars like those and the STIs have a good range of 1500-2000 dollar kits. The ground control kit for our car is probably one of the more common kinds, but I'm pretty sure you have to provide the shock and have to add the threaded sleeve to the shock. You can adjust ride height. Another thing that makes it a lot different is in the rear since our springs don't coil over the rear shocks. The GC threaded mount inserts into the axle mount.

Adjustable coilover sets get overlooked in our cars because we have quite a good set of cheaper options of separate spring and shock combos that get the job done of providing close to optimal compression and rebound settings. Only drawback is you can't adjust ride height. Koni's are an awesome option for our car for the money. We get a lot of people who think Koni's are expensive for ~800 for the full set. When they see what kind of prices that springs/shocks/struts for other cars go for, they will probably have a heart attack

Quick Reply: What High End" Coilovers options do we have?