Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
can you take a picture of how far it pushed your tire out.

thanks
Here are some pics, the wheel/tire are still within the fenderwell:

Name:  WheelsandTires002.jpg
Views: 40254
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  WheelsandTires003.jpg
Views: 40148
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  WheelsandTires007.jpg
Views: 40071
Size:  80.5 KB
Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great. These wont clear 17s right? I have oem c5 zo6s.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostedgtp
That looks great. These wont clear 17s right? I have oem c5 zo6s.
nope, 18's are the minimum
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
nope, 18's are the minimum
Exactly. 17's aren't even close, with my 18's the wheel weighs are damn close to the caliper as it is.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you take a pic of the complete car
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what size tire?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have to replace the wheel studs if the wheel will clear the caliper? Just want to try and get everything figured out before I start ordering parts. Also will any 14in rotor work or only the z06 ones?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
Do you have to replace the wheel studs if the wheel will clear the caliper? Just want to try and get everything figured out before I start ordering parts. Also will any 14in rotor work or only the z06 ones?
it depends alot on the wheel, read the intro and it will go into it a bit more about offset and such, it has to be an 18 inch rim atleast though. and yes, you have to use a z06 rotor, were using them because they are the correct offset to fit with the new caliper
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man, Real nice install. I hope you don't mind, but I used a few of your pics on my write up of this swap. I also decided to change the minimum spoke clearance needed on the stock brakes from 1" to at least 1 1/4". Does that sound about right?

Once you get some shots of the whole car I'll add them to my other thread as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
it depends alot on the wheel, read the intro and it will go into it a bit more about offset and such, it has to be an 18 inch rim atleast though. and yes, you have to use a z06 rotor, were using them because they are the correct offset to fit with the new caliper

Well I have 20in wheels and 1 3/8" space from the spokes to the stock caliper. So I was not sure if I would need to replace the stock bolts if I did not need a spacer.
Also I was wondering if a 14in Baer rotor (made to fit a C6 vette) would work rather than the stock Z06 rotor because I already have these rotors on the car, so then the fronts would match the rears...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have 20in wheels and 1 3/8" space from the spokes to the stock caliper. So I was not sure if I would need to replace the stock bolts if I did not need a spacer.
Also I was wondering if a 14in Baer rotor (made to fit a C6 vette) would work rather than the stock Z06 rotor because I already have these rotors on the car, so then the fronts would match the rears...
If you have these Baer rotors on the car, then how did you measure 1 3/8" space from the spokes to the stock caliper? A non stock offset rotor changes the clearance numbers you need. Please explain what you have on the car so we can make sure our info is accurate.

If your Baer rotor is made to fit a vette, then I assume it is simply an aftermarket rotor that dimensionally is the same as the OEM C6 Z06 14" rotor. Same size, offset, etc... exactly, just aftermarket.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

Nice write up. How u like em
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

what size tire?
The front tires are 245/40/18.

Nope. Only reason I had to change wheel studs was to make room for the wheel spacer. If you aren't running wheel spacers (and have sufficient caliper clearance) replacing wheel studs isn't necessary.

Only a 06+ Corvette Z06 rotor will work as far as anyone knows. They are very nice rotors though, quality is great and they say AC Delco "Made in USA" right on the box.

Sounds like it could be close. I had approximately 1" of clearance between my stock caliper and spokes, and I still needed between 1/2" and 5/8" more clearance for the new calipers. The 15mm spacers are between 1/2" (12.7mm) and 5/8" (15.87mm) and they worked out perfectly for clearance. If you find that you need that extra 1/4" of spacing, you can always run a 1/4" or smaller wheel spacer without having to change the wheel studs.

As for the rotors, as Jason said, we would need to know what they were designed to fit If they are 06+ Z06 replacement rotors, then they will work fine.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

do you have a part number on the eibach spacer? and where you get studs?

and do you know the diam of your tire?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Hey man, Real nice install. I hope you don't mind, but I used a few of your pics on my write up of this swap. I also decided to change the minimum spoke clearance needed on the stock brakes from 1" to at least 1 1/4". Does that sound about right?

Once you get some shots of the whole car I'll add them to my other thread as well.
Thats cool, I don't mind. If you could just note that the pics are from Wesmanw02 though I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Just saw the thread, looks great

As for the clearance, I ended up needing approximately an additional 9/16" over the 1" that I measured from the stock caliper. With the 15mm wheel spacers, I have a couple mm spoke clearance. So I'd say 14mm, or 9/16", would be bare minimum with a 56mm offset wheel.

I'll get some pics of the whole car as soon as I get a chance, weather out here has been crap the past few weeks unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Iyyob
Nice write up. How u like em
Haven't had a chance to drive the car much (weather) but they seem good. They have about the same pedal feel as the stock brakes around town, I haven't tested them out yet but they seem strong!!

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 06-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
If you have these Baer rotors on the car, then how did you measure 1 3/8" space from the spokes to the stock caliper? A non stock offset rotor changes the clearance numbers you need. Please explain what you have on the car so we can make sure our info is accurate.

If your Baer rotor is made to fit a vette, then I assume it is simply an aftermarket rotor that dimensionally is the same as the OEM C6 Z06 14" rotor. Same size, offset, etc... exactly, just aftermarket.

Sorry, I assumed it would be the same offset since it was just a replacement rotor. I kept the stock calipers but am using the baer eradispeed plus rotors (fronts are still 12in rotors). At the time I needed better rotors, bc I had warped several other brands but only had stock 16in wheels at the time, so I was told I could not go bigger than 12 in.

From their website: (EradiSpeed-PLUS™ rotors are also a direct OEM replacement, however the "plus" indicated rotors that are of a 2-Piece design. An EradiSpeed-PLUS™ hat is CNC machined from billet and anodized black. The hats and rotors are joined with NAS (National Aerospace Standard) hardware. The same hardware used in Indy cars. With a 2-Piece design, EradiSpeed-PLUS™ units provide a welcome reduction in total rotor weight of approximately 3 to 6 lbs. per rotor, depending on application.)

I have similar rotors on the rears, so I was wanting to try and keep the same look all the way around. While on Baer's website, I tried to find a rotor for the 2006 z06, but they only listed 2006 z51. They have an Eradispeed plus 2 rotor (OE replacement but larger diameter and hardware to move the stock caliper out) that is 14in in diameter. I just was not sure if I would be able to use those rotors rather than the stock z06 rotors, just to keep the fronts and rears matching.
The only reason I was wanting to try to keep Baer's cross drilled was because I heard the Z06 are unidirectional, so I thought it might look funny on one side of the car if I had the holes going opposite directions on front compared the the back.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Looks good man! I suspect I would need to do that 15mm spacer as well if I want to run these brakes. At least the front tire still fits within the fender. Wonder if it would be the same on a Camaro.

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
The front tires are 245/40/18.
and do you know the diam of your tire?
Based on his tire size there, the diameter is 653.2mm or 25.72". Come on now, that is something we should all know.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Sorry, I assumed it would be the same offset since it was just a replacement rotor. I kept the stock calipers but am using the baer eradispeed plus rotors (fronts are still 12in rotors). At the time I needed better rotors, bc I had warped several other brands but only had stock 16in wheels at the time, so I was told I could not go bigger than 12 in.

From their website: (EradiSpeed-PLUS™ rotors are also a direct OEM replacement, however the "plus" indicated rotors that are of a 2-Piece design. An EradiSpeed-PLUS™ hat is CNC machined from billet and anodized black. The hats and rotors are joined with NAS (National Aerospace Standard) hardware. The same hardware used in Indy cars. With a 2-Piece design, EradiSpeed-PLUS™ units provide a welcome reduction in total rotor weight of approximately 3 to 6 lbs. per rotor, depending on application.)

I have similar rotors on the rears, so I was wanting to try and keep the same look all the way around. While on Baer's website, I tried to find a rotor for the 2006 z06, but they only listed 2006 z51. They have an Eradispeed plus 2 rotor (OE replacement but larger diameter and hardware to move the stock caliper out) that is 14in in diameter. I just was not sure if I would be able to use those rotors rather than the stock z06 rotors, just to keep the fronts and rears matching.
The only reason I was wanting to try to keep Baer's cross drilled was because I heard the Z06 are unidirectional, so I thought it might look funny on one side of the car if I had the holes going opposite directions on front compared the the back.
do you want to keep the two pieice look?

run DBA 5000 series this is what my bro is going to run on his cts-v caliper setup.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Looks good man! I suspect I would need to do that 15mm spacer as well if I want to run these brakes. At least the front tire still fits within the fender. Wonder if it would be the same on a Camaro.

Based on his tire size there, the diameter is 653.2mm or 25.72". Come on now, that is something we should all know.
yeah. i was lazy. sorry. i will try better next time. lol
Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good! Makes me want to sell my 17" C5 z06's and get some 18's... But I just did LS1 brakes last spring.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics