CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics - Page 4 - LS1TECH



Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

     
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
 
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #61
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Lt14mla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 540
Default

ill second that
Lt14mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #62
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Update:

Finally had a chance to try the new brakes out yesterday. Its basically been raining or overcast every day since I installed my brakes, but yesterday there was a break of sunshine so I took the car out on a cruise before I had to go to work. I figured I would also "bed in" the pads while I was at it.

I headed out to a local road back in the country that basically consists of hairpin turns (due to divided farm land) and a couple straights.

I started off easy to get everything warmed up, but after the first turn, I really started to get on it. The brakes really surprised me. As normal as they feel around town, they are the exact opposite when you push them hard, they REALLY perform. I was hitting well over 80 on some of the straights, and then just diving into the brakes carving the corner. Its ridiculous how much faster you can carve up a road when you can push your brakes this hard. Reminds me of how my friend drives his STI on backroads, only these brakes feel even more capable (much bigger rotors than STI). Basically you can just put full faith in them that they will stop you no matter how agressive you are, and I noticed no fade at all, even after repeated hard braking.

I also bedded in the pads on the one long straight. I did 80-10MPH, pushed the pedal as hard as possible, and I think it almost knocked the wind out of me. I wasn't expecting that kind of force, its amazing how hard they grab.

If you drive your car hard or use it for track use, this upgrade is worth every penny and then some. Huge improvement over the stock brakes, and the stock PBR's weren't too shabby to begin with.
Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #63
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Patterson, CA
Posts: 859
Default

glad to hear it. i like pushing the brakes. so i look forward to this swap.
Killer_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #64
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (8)
 
OffspringZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 562
Default

I take it these wont fit with stock 17" 10 spoke SS wheels?
OffspringZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #65
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Patterson, CA
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffspringZ28 View Post
I take it these wont fit with stock 17" 10 spoke SS wheels?
no. they will not, need minimum of 8's, and that might still need spacers. oem C6 ZO6's fit. i'm getting deep dish C6 ZO6's, most likely need a spacer, might put one on just for added assurance.

read this cts v brakes install

Last edited by Killer_Z; 07-01-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Killer_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #66
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hou. TX.
Posts: 6,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesmanw02 View Post
Huge improvement over the stock brakes, and the stock PBR's weren't too shabby to begin with.
The stock calipers and rotors are pretty good when you swap to agressive pads. It's just the OEM F-body pads really suck.

Now that you have used them a bit, do they still ramp up in grip or do they grab as soon as you touch the pedal?
JasonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #67
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
The stock calipers and rotors are pretty good when you swap to agressive pads. It's just the OEM F-body pads really suck.

Now that you have used them a bit, do they still ramp up in grip or do they grab as soon as you touch the pedal?
They ramp up slowly as you push the pedal, not grabby at all.

They are very progressive, but as you push the pedal, they grab exponentially harder!! So by the time you're really hard on the pedal, it feels like you let the parachute out!!
Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #68
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hou. TX.
Posts: 6,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesmanw02 View Post
They ramp up slowly as you push the pedal, not grabby at all.

They are very progressive, but as you push the pedal, they grab exponentially harder!! So by the time you're really hard on the pedal, it feels like you let the parachute out!!
Hmmm, I've had pads like that before. They have an advantage on a race track in that they don't upset the suspension when you slow down. Such as when braking into a corner. Some people like that, but not me. I prefer to have the car slammed to a halt at the first press of the pedal. I'll probably get me some Carbotech™ AX6 pads. They have the strong initial bite I like.
JasonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #69
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
Hmmm, I've had pads like that before. They have an advantage on a race track in that they don't upset the suspension when you slow down. Such as when braking into a corner. Some people like that, but not me. I prefer to have the car slammed to a halt at the first press of the pedal. I'll probably get me some Carbotech™ AX6 pads. They have the strong initial bite I like.
I like the strong initial bite as well. You can tell the stock CTS-V pads are designed for an OEM appliaction being that they are so linear.
Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #70
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

As requested, pics of the car:







Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #71
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
JasonWW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hou. TX.
Posts: 6,812
Default

How about a nice side shot to show off the front brakes?
JasonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #72
Banned
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,637
Default

can you do me a favor.

can you take a rim off and measure for the offset to the back of the spoke?
Big_Bird_WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #73
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
How about a nice side shot to show off the front brakes?
This one ok?? The tree behind me was causing shadows...

Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #74
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6 View Post
can you do me a favor.

can you take a rim off and measure for the offset to the back of the spoke?
You mean from the mounting flange on the wheel to the back of the spokes??
Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #75
TECH Resident
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesmanw02 View Post
This one ok?? The tree behind me was causing shadows...
Awesome, thanks for the photo.
JamRWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #76
Launching!
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern, OH
Posts: 216
Default

thanks for the info....great job OP!! and thanks GM/JasonWW for making it so Easy!

seems like the best bang-for-buck brake upgrade. I would be interested to see side by side 60-0 mph tests.

Will be doing this mod soon.
Rafedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #77
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 582
Default

I have 53mm offset on ZO7 wheels. Will the spacers you got from Eibach work well, or should I try to find ones that will more closely fit? Thanks for the great write-up! You've inspired me to do this!
UAZ28SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #78
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Wesmanw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAZ28SS View Post
I have 53mm offset on ZO7 wheels. Will the spacers you got from Eibach work well, or should I try to find ones that will more closely fit? Thanks for the great write-up! You've inspired me to do this!
The Eibach spacers will push your wheels slightly further out than mine are, because you have an offset of 3mm less. So your total offset will end up being 38mm, which is more than the 40mm that a stock Covette has.

However, that should leave more than enough room for caliper clearance.

If you have any other questions about the upgrade just let me know!!
Wesmanw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #79
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesmanw02 View Post
The Eibach spacers will push your wheels slightly further out than mine are, because you have an offset of 3mm less. So your total offset will end up being 38mm, which is more than the 40mm that a stock Covette has.

However, that should leave more than enough room for caliper clearance.

If you have any other questions about the upgrade just let me know!!
Perfect... that's what I needed to know! Thanks again, and if I come up with any other questions, damn right I'll be asking you!
UAZ28SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #80
Banned
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesmanw02 View Post
You mean from the mounting flange on the wheel to the back of the spokes??
yes.

that way i can ask the place i am getting the rims at and i know if it will fit.

lol
Big_Bird_WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CTS-V Calipers and 2010 Camaro SS Rotors TURBO6.0L Suspension & Brakes 131 11-27-2016 12:53 AM
Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info JasonWW Suspension & Brakes 458 07-17-2016 03:16 PM
The Blue Lagoon - BMW e30 - LS1 Blip Bavarian Conversions & Hybrids 67 06-13-2015 08:01 AM
Wtt 1999 Trans Am and 2002 Camaro SS Roller For Manual Transmission Ls1 car Rob's 02 SS Vehicle Classifieds 6 04-25-2012 12:09 AM
My 4L60e Fail & Rebuild Thread - Lots Of Pics 7th Darkness Automatic Transmission 10 04-09-2010 11:17 PM


Tags
2004, brake, brakes, c5, camaro, clearance, corvette, cts, ctsv, install, installation, pad, washers, wheels, z06

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send