Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fays watts link and BIG PROBLEMS!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fays watts link and BIG PROBLEMS!!!

Ok so I'm installing my watts link today and I ran into some serious problems... Ordered from Strano he asked me the necessary questions and I answered. I have a moser 9" with 3" axle tubes and a spohn 1" solid rear drag bar with spohn moser 9" swaybar brackets. Problem 1 is on the driverside of my rear end it has the axle vent tube and it is right where my axle clamp for the link needs to be. I may be able to modify it a little (cut a 3/8" hole) to get the tube to go thru the clamp. Problem 2 and major!!! The passenger side axle clamp is too wide. It will not fit whatsoever between where my center section is welded to axle tubes and the sway bar bushing .

Seems like the only solution would be an axle clamp that is similar to the driver side (3" wide) and it would need to have the rod bolt tube as long as the supplied passenger axle clamp.

Just sucks $680 later and some serious problems. I'm broke! Hope Sam can help me out...

Last edited by C Murda; 06-26-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that this would not work for 9" applications...guess I must have misread something.

Got any pics you can post up to see what you are looking at?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I was under the impression that this would not work for 9" applications...guess I must have misread something.
Fabricated 9"s are a no go for the Watts link.

Originally Posted by C Murda
Just sucks $680 later and some serious problems. I'm broke! Hope Sam can help me out...
It sounds like you talked to him and let him know everything before you purchased the watts link. I'm sure he'll help you out.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

no pics yet sorry got dark and i picked up. yea the only other 9" it wont work with is a fabricated 9. i just have a standard Moser 9" with 3" axle tubes which was supposed to work fine. im just bummed out ive been waiting so long to get one of these and spent al that money just to run into this big of a problem. usually i can get creative and make things work but this problem requires a whole nother passenger side axle clamp.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the watts link was only supposed to to work with the 10 bolt and 12 bolt. Can't be completely sure though. You might have to come up with some custom fitment.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Banned

this is why i am getting my watts form Eric at midwest. and it is built for my fab 9"
Old 06-26-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give Sam a call, he is gonna help you out if he helped you pick out the watts link and you ordered from him. On another note, did you say you're broke? Then why the heck did you buy a $680 watts link?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

We've had it on various 9" housing, but there is no way to insure it fits every different housing. The first call would be to Fays2 to see what he can do. If he can't come up with a solution then I guess it'll be back to a PHB setup and we'll work out a return situation.

The link was designed on a stock 10-bolt and later tested to a 12-bolt. Subsequently it has been used on a few 9's, apparently those haven't been Moser housings, with Spohn brackets... The issue here is just so many different parts that were never designed with each other in mind.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

venting problem is not a big deal. weld a plug in and relocate it and as far as the clamp goes. you need to call the manufacture and tell them the situation and im sure they can build a clamp thats for a 3.125(im guessing) axle housing,
Old 06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ it has nothing to do with the axle tubes as they are 3" and the clamps fit around them fine. It's just that passenger side that the clamp is too wide by 2" and there is no room for it to fit
Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well heres an update.....
i called jim fays and left a message. he quickly returned my call, i old him my problem and what seemed to be needed to make this work and he right away was fine with shipping me out a new passenger side axle clamp with a return slip so i can send him back the 5" wide one. great guy and definately backs up his products. thanks Sam and thanks Jim Fays! now just some down time but its gonna be raining all week anyways....
Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome, mine just came in a couple of days ago and I might install it tomorrow. I was very impressed with the product, packaging, and color install booklet. It's good to know that the product support is great as well (although I never really had a doubt). Good luck with your installation,

Larry
Old 06-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by C Murda
well heres an update.....
i called jim fays and left a message. he quickly returned my call, i old him my problem and what seemed to be needed to make this work and he right away was fine with shipping me out a new passenger side axle clamp with a return slip so i can send him back the 5" wide one. great guy and definately backs up his products. thanks Sam and thanks Jim Fays! now just some down time but its gonna be raining all week anyways....
Please let us know if that works out for you.

I really wish he could make one that would clear an exhaust like mine that requires the upper panhard bar relocation kit Oh well...probably wouldn't end up with the best geometry anyway.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Nice to hear. When i was installing my Watts Link i called Jim at around 12 midnight or 1 o clock his time, because i had to widen the sway bar spacers, and he was totally cool with helping me out. I live in California, and i thought he did too, but i was wrong. Very cool guy, and would do business again with him or Sam in a heartbeat.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Jim Fayes will supply you with longer links for the Moser's that have vents in the middle of the axle tube.

I know.

I ran into the exact same situation.

But, I was able to install in correctly without longer links and still avoid limiting the prop rotation.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Default More Moser 9" and clamps problems....

I'm reviving this thread as I am experiencing some problems also...

I had the same issue with the vent tube but I got around that by notching both clamps so the 9/16" breather vent would clear and still give me vertical adjustment. The issue I'm running into now is the clamp horizontal clearance (see pics below). I set my bars to the exact same length as each other with the instructions saying to leave 5-7 threads on the propeller side and 2 threads on the axle clamp side (roughly 12"). My drivers side mount is in there tight against the housing weld and the Strano adj swaybar mount. I can't move the passenger side mount any further out (I've tried w/ BFH getting the clamps pushed out as far as they will go). The Moser 9" housing is about 1" wider to the drivers side.

If You read this and see these pics, Sam, please give me a call. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dumb question, the mount looks offset - can it be flipped?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

I've got the passenger side clamp on the way the instructions say to do it, with the gusset facing to the right. I believe I can flip it; however, I don't know if that is the right thing to do...

--UPDATE. I did flip the passenger side mount and it lines up ok. The other two issues I'm having are: The propeller is at 11 o'clock & 5 o'clock instead of what the manual says of 1 & 7. And the drivers side large bolt is stripped and the threads are jacked up in the axle tube mount.... I don't have a large enough tap and die set to address this one.

Last edited by LS1HIGHLIFE; 05-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Bump for some answers... Still questioning if the propeller is going to be alright in the opposite (time) locations.

I found a guy that has a 3/4" by 16 tap to clean out the axle tube mounting bracket but I also need a die to repair the bolt...

Added: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5yh...BZw/edit?pli=1
To show I'm not crazy.... I'll call Jim today.

Last edited by LS1HIGHLIFE; 05-08-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

why don't you give fays2 a call?
his number is on the website.

tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fays watts link and BIG PROBLEMS!!!