Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Aftermarket front shock/spring install Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket front shock/spring install Q

I bought some AFCO adjustable front shocks & 300# springs, I've never installed any aftermarket springs before, so please correct me if Im wrong, but can I compress these springs to the exact same height as the factory springs and install them as such, for now.

Ive measured the factory spring height and I assume that is where I would want these installed. Keep in mind this isnt for lowering the car, this is for drag racing purposes.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually just adjust the lower spring seat up until the spring isn't loose, then measure from the bottom of the lower spring seat to a lower referance point on the shock body (do this the same on both front shocks)then mount them on the car. After they're mounted adjust the spring seat up until the spring's been compressed 1-2", write down the new measurement, set the shocks to full soft.

Once you got the wheels on and the car back on the ground jounce the front down 4-5 times to settle the ride height.
If the car's too high/low, then adjust the spring seat up/down 1/2 the distance you want to alter the ride height.
Repeat until you get the disired ride height, and make sure to tighten the lower spring seat jam nut or set screw after the final adjustment.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I usually just adjust the lower spring seat up until the spring isn't loose, then measure from the bottom of the lower spring seat to a lower referance point on the shock body (do this the same on both front shocks)then mount them on the car. After they're mounted adjust the spring seat up until the spring's been compressed 1-2", write down the new measurement, set the shocks to full soft.

Once you got the wheels on and the car back on the ground jounce the front down 4-5 times to settle the ride height.
If the car's too high/low, then adjust the spring seat up/down 1/2 the distance you want to alter the ride height.
Repeat until you get the disired ride height, and make sure to tighten the lower spring seat jam nut or set screw after the final adjustment.
Oh damn, stupid me. I dont even have to pre compress the spring then, I can just let the shock and adjustable spring seat do the work?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Oh damn, stupid me. I dont even have to pre compress the spring then, I can just let the shock and adjustable spring seat do the work?
You got it!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket front shock/spring install Q